• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

DrJamesA,

re: "if you don't find this 'published author' you are looking for, will that change your opinion of when Jesus rose?"

No.

re: "Do you actually believe He rose on the first day of the week?"

I think that is the most likely case.

re: "... do you believe Mark 16-ALL of it-is the inspired word of God?"

I do not have a belief one way or the other about that.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, rstrats said:

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of an author. 

It is kind of moot, if I understand properly what you're asking, 'Did Christ, being resurrected the first day, change the Sabbath from the seventh day to the first'? Is that correct?

The sabbath never changed, it Is, and always was, the seventh day. However, it was not always a 'day of worship', as we see them coming together in the synagogues to do. Originally it was set as a day of rest, to stay home and not go ANYWHERE. Apparently that changed, out of necessity, during their time in bondage in Babylon, when the synagogue was invented.

As for why we assemble in the first day of the week, rather than the seventh, it is because that is the day Christ was resurrected. While they may not record that as the reason, (of course, their first church met every day), yet within the next century, Christina writers declared that to be the reason, as a perpetual memorial to His resurrection. 

• Members
17 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

"... if I understand properly what you're asking, 'Did Christ, being resurrected the first day, change the Sabbath from the seventh day to the first'? Is that correct?"

No.  I'm looking for an author who uses the idea of a first day of the week resurrection to justify a change of observance from the seventh day of the week to the first say of the week, and uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day of the week resurrection. 

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, rstrats said:

No.  I'm looking for an author who uses the idea of a first day of the week resurrection to justify a change of observance from the seventh day of the week to the first say of the week, and uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day of the week resurrection. 

Is this a specific author you're looking for, or just looking to see if there IS anyone who wrote such? Because if its the latter, you might as well just start buying and reading every book even close to the subject. Myself, I don't know of anyone who has. Maybe the Catholics, because most Baptists don't believe the seventh day was meant to be a day of worship for the church age believers, but I know the Catholics teach a change from 7th day Sabbath to first day Sabbath.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 5/27/2020 at 11:23 AM, rstrats said:

The Sabbath wasn't changed, it was done away with along with other O.T. holy days and observances. The Jews who insisted these still be observed were called Judaizers. Probably the first heretics.

The early believers met together on the first day of the week to commemorate the resurrection of our Lord which freed them from the law.

It really is amazing that 2,000 years later and this is still an issue among Gentile Christians. Why any Gentile would want to observe a holiday that required the death penalty for even collecting sticks on that day is beyond me. 

So to answer your question about an author who wrote about these things his name would be Paul of Tarsus.

• Members

SureWord,
re:  "So to answer your question about an author who wrote about these things his name would be Paul of Tarsus."

I don't see where Paul uses the idea of a first day of the week resurrection to justify a change of observance from the seventh day of the week to the first say of the week, nor uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day of the week resurrection. 

re:  "The early believers met together on the first day of the week to commemorate the resurrection of our Lord..."

As I wrote previously, as far as scripture is concerned, there are only two times mentioned with regard to anybody getting together on the first (day) of the week - John 20:19 and Acts 20:7. There is never any mention of them ever again being together on the first. The John reference has them together in a closed room after the crucifixion because they were afraid of their fellow Jews. Nothing is said about a celebration, worship service or day of rest. And it couldn't have been in recognition of the resurrection because at that time they didn't believe that it had taken place. 

The Acts reference has them together because Paul happened to be in town and he apparently wanted to talk to the disciples before he had to leave again. The breaking of bread mentioned (even if it were referring to the Lord’s Supper) had nothing to do with placing a special emphasis on the first (day) because Acts 2:46 says that they broke bread every day.

Edited by rstrats

• Members
On 8/18/2020 at 4:36 PM, rstrats said:

As I wrote previously, as far as scripture is concerned, there are only two times mentioned with regard to anybody getting together on the first (day) of the week - John 20:19 and Acts 20:7.

The Day of Pentecost was the first day of the week.