• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Jewish days and nights are counted different that our days and nights. Their new day begins at 6:00 PM not 12:00 AM.

Yes, that is where we count it from 6pm when the body was put in the grave. Three days and three nights as we would say, evenings and morning to the Jews, I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Perhaps someone new reading here will have the information asked for in the OP.

What information are you looking for? It seems from this thread and the one about Matthew and John that you are looking for us to tell you that there are mistakes in the KJV or that the Gospel is correct only in the general sense of the message and not in every detail of the account.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wilchbla,

re: "What information are you looking for?"

In addition to the OP, as I said in posts #5, #8, #15 and #23; "I’m looking for a published author and a quote from that author that argues for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because - at least in part - due to a first day resurrection and who uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day resurrection."

• Members

Wilchbla,

re: "What information are you looking for?"

In addition to the OP, as I said in posts #5, #8, #15 and #23; "I’m looking for a published author and a quote from that author that argues for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because - at least in part - due to a first day resurrection and who uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day resurrection."

So this whole thing is about whether we should observed the Sabbath or not?

• Members

Wilchbla,

re: "So this whole thing is about whether we should observed the Sabbath or not?"

For the purpose of this topic, absolutely not. I don't know why you would think that. All I am looking for is a "published author and a quote from that author that argues for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because - at least in part - due to the idea of a first day resurrection and who uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day resurrection."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Are you looking for Samuele Bacchiocchi's quote from the book From Sabbath to Sunday? I found some websites that might have what you're looking for, but I don't know if we're allowed to post websites on a forum. Hope that helps!

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Mrs. T,

re: "Are you looking for Samuele Bacchiocchi's quote from the book From Sabbath to Sunday?"

I don’t see where he argues for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because of the idea of a first day resurrection.

Perhaps someone new looking in will know of an author.

• Members
The days involved would be dependent on when the crucifixion took place. Assumptions have to be made.

Not so, it's all laid out in the Scriptures.

Friday, Nisan the 9th: Jesus comes to Bethany 6 days before the Passover.

Saturday, Nisan the 10th (Regular Sabbath): Jesus enters Jerusalem riding the aXX with the palm branches spread before him and later enters the Temple, looks around and returns to Bethany.

Sunday, Nisan the 11th: Jesus re-enters Jerusalem, cleanses the temple and leaves the city.

Monday, Nisan the 12th: Jesus re-enters Jerusalem and taught and answered questions and later delivered the Olivet Discourse at the Mount of Olives.

Tuesday, Nisan the 13th (First Day of Unleavened Bread): Jesus tells them to prepare the Passover.

Wednesday, Nisan the 14th (Passover): Jesus eats the Passover and institutes the Lord's Supper. He is arrested at Gethsamane, tried and tortured. At 9am Jesus Is Crucified, Jesus dies at 3pm, Joseph after having secured Jesus' body places it in his sepulchre at 6pm and rolls rock over door. This is witnessed by Mary Magdalene and Mary, mother of Joseph.

Thursday, Nisan the 15th (High Passover Sabbath): Jews ask Pilate for Roman guards over the tomb.

Friday, Nisan the 16th: Mary and Mary buy and prepare spices for proper burial. Joseph and Nicodemus at night prepare Jesus' body with 100lbs of myrhh and aloes for proper burial.

Saturday, Nisan the 17th (Regular Sabbath): At the end of the sabbath Mary and Mary come to see the tomb.

Sunday, Nisan the 18th: There's an earthquake and an angel descends from heaven and rolls back the stone. The angel declares that Jesus has risen and invites the women inside. The leave and follow the angel's command to tell others. Peter goes inside and is in disbelief. In the morning the women go back with the spices and meet two angels and Peter too goes back and leaves in disbelief. The risen Christ is seen by many that day.

A day in those times began at 6pm and ended the following day at 6pm essentially; sunset to sunset. Christ was in the tomb a literal 3 day and nights beginning at 6pm on Thursday or 6pm our modern Wednesday and rose at 6pm on Saturday.

Don't forget Revelations 1:10 where John was on the Lord's Day, nor neglect the writings of many of the 1st century baptists who all worshipped the Lord on the first day of the week.

Go the Baptist Challenge website and look for TractGill by Pastor L.M. Potts

Also look up the April 2002, April 2003 February 2008, February 2011 issues of the Baptist Challenge.

Dr. R.A. Torrey, "Difficulties and Alleged Errors and Contradictions in the Bible" published by Moody Press.

Bill Rice

James Green

Austin Fields

• 6 months later...
  • Members

swathdiver,

I’m afraid I don’t see where any of your references argue for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because of the idea of a first day resurrection and use Mark 16:9 to support a first day resurrection.

BTW, any particular reason for adding an "s" at the end of Revelation?

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in will know of an author.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Don't know of an author. The entire question posted in the OP is completely irrelevant. The implication seems to be from your opponent that since nobody quotes Mark 16:9 to defend a change from Saturday worship to Sunday worship that therefore the last 12 verses of Mark are not important and can therefore be removed from the text.

What a stupid argument. Are we now dependent upon a "published work" to determine the validity of the text????
"I trow not!"

The real question is DID GOD INSPIRE AND PRESERVE the last 12 verses of Mark.

John Burgon answered this conclusively in the 1800's. Out of 620 manuscripts that contain this passage (i.e. Mark 16), only TWO of them do not have the last 12 verses, and one of them has a gap big enough to fit between what would be Mark 16:8 in our Bible and Luke 1:1.

Of course, those two manuscripts that delete this passage are none other than the notoriously corrupt Vaticanus and Sinaiticus (Vaticanus leaving the gap to indicate that there is at least some question regarding the authenticity of the passage.)

Therefore, my conclusion is that this entire thread is irrelevant and meaningless.

But since we are here....

vs. 10-14 show us the unbelief of the disciples, for which Jesus Christ rebuked them
vs. 15 - the Great Commission
vs. 16 - shows that baptism is NOT part of salvation - very important verse that I use regularly in that debate
vs. 17-18 - the signs for the Jewish believers, used throughout the book of Acts
vs. 19 - the ascension of Christ
vs. 20 - the obedience of the disciples

Oh, yes, I would definitely say that this passage is an important passage, regardless of whether or not somebody published any type of book or article using ONE verse to defend ONE doctrine. What an absurd argument to make in defense of removing the entire passage!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,)
John 19:31 (KJV)

Per scripture Thursday as an high day - it was High Holy Sabbath and that observance is still happening today. Crucified on WED and arose sometime after 6P on SAT. The following morning was still the first day of the week.