• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Invicta,

re: "How long was Jonah in the fish?"

Jonah 1:17 says three days and three nights. Any particular reason for asking?

Also, what do you mean by "7th/1st day" in your post #25?

Edited by rstrats

• Members

dantheman2,

re: "I would not have even thought to use Mark 16:9 to prove that we are to worship upon the 1st day of the week."

That’s good because that is not what I asked. I asked for the use of Mark 16:9 to prove a first day resurrection, and not to prove first day observance.

re: "I would use passages such as Acts 20:7 and 1 Cor 16:1-2 to demonstrate that that is the fact."

Actually, as far as the Bible is concerned, there are only two times mentioned with regard to anybody getting together on the first (day) of the week - John 20:19 and Acts 20:7. There is never any mention of them ever again being together on the first. The John reference has them together in a closed room after the crucifixion because they were afraid of their fellow Jews. Nothing is said about a celebration, worship service or day of rest. The Acts reference has them together because Paul happened to be in town and he wanted to talk to them before he had to leave again. The breaking of bread mentioned (even if it were referring to the Lord’s Supper) had nothing to do with placing a special emphasis on the first (day) because Acts 2:46 says that they broke bread every day.

As for 1 Corinthians 1-2, nothing in the verses indicate that Christians observed the first day of the week for their day of rest and worship. They merely say that everyone should "lay by him in store" on the first day of the week. The Darby Translation reads: "On the first of the week let each of you put by at home, laying up in whatever degree he may have prospered, that there may be no collections when I come.". The New Swedish and Norwegian Bibles read: "At home by himself." The Lamsa Translation reads: "Let each of you put aside and keep in his house". The Wemouth reads: "Let each of you put on one side and store up at his home". Ballantine’s Translation reads: "Let each of you lay up at home". The Syriac, on this passage reads: "Let every one of you lay aside and preserve at home". And the New Catholic Edition of the Bible reads: ".......let each one of you put aside at home and lay up whatever he has a mind to". This verses say nothing about going to church on the first day or even assembling together on the first day.

Actually, you should study Acts 20:7 in context. If you do, you will find that this was worship, it was the partaking of the Lord's Supper and thus is an example for us to follow today. Notice that Paul waited 7 whole days to gather and break bread. if this was simply a common meal as is the case in Acts 2:46, there would be no need to wait 7 days. Acts 2:42 is a better verse than is 2:46.

• Members

Actually, Mark 16:9 doesn't say he rose on the first day, it says: 9 ¶ Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils. That is He was risen, and early on the first day of the week he appeared to Mary M.

It is quite plain from other scriptures that Jesus died on the Wednesday and was put in the tomb as the Sabbath (the high day) was beginning. He rose on the 7th/1st day just as the normal Sabbath was beginning, or dawning, three days and three nights later. Mt 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Don't think so. He arose upon the 1st day of the week.

• Members

dantheman2,

re: "Actually, you should study Acts 20:7 in context. If you do, you will find that this was worship, it was the partaking of the Lord's Supper..."

I’m sorry but I just don’t see where the context makes it absolutely necessary to interpret the verse as "partaking of the Lord’s Supper", much less as a recurring special day of the week for the purpose of rest and worship.

re: "Notice that Paul waited 7 whole days to gather and break bread.

Verse 6 doesn’t indicate that. It simply says: "...we stayed seven days." It doesn’t say that Paul might have left earlier, but he wanted to wait until the next 2nd day of the week so that he could observe the Lord’s Supper with the disciples on the first day of the week. To say that it does is pure conjecture on your part. And anyway, it was the 2nd day of the week when Paul "broke bread" (verse 11).

re: "Acts 2:42 is a better verse than is 2:46."

Again, it is pure conjecture that the "breaking of bread" in verse 42 is different from the "breaking bread" in verse 46.

• Members

dantheman2,

re: "Actually, you should study Acts 20:7 in context. If you do, you will find that this was worship, it was the partaking of the Lord's Supper..."

I’m sorry but I just don’t see where the context makes it absolutely necessary to interpret the verse as "partaking of the Lord’s Supper", much less as a recurring special day of the week for the purpose of rest and worship.

re: "Notice that Paul waited 7 whole days to gather and break bread.

Verse 6 doesn’t indicate that. It simply says: "...we stayed seven days." It doesn’t say that Paul might have left earlier, but he wanted to wait until the next 2nd day of the week so that he could observe the Lord’s Supper with the disciples on the first day of the week. To say that it does is pure conjecture on your part. And anyway, it was the 2nd day of the week when Paul "broke bread" (verse 11).

re: "Acts 2:42 is a better verse than is 2:46."

Again, it is pure conjecture that the "breaking of bread" in verse 42 is different from the "breaking bread" in verse 46.

Perhaps you don't see because you don't wish to see. Acts 20 is clear whether you accept it or not.

• Members

Invicta, you have a couple of questions directed to you in post #31.

I did answer one in post no 34.

Jesus was to be in the tomb the same length of time that Jonah was in the fist, 3 days and three nights.

As Jesus was put into the tomb as the sabbath was beginning, at twilight Wednesday/Thursday. He rose exacly three days and three nights later, twilight Saturday/Sunday evening as the first day was beginning.

Mary went early on the first day of the week, ie early in the evening.

Mark 16:1 ¶ And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
Luke 23:52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
1 ¶ Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.

Note verse 56. They bought spices and prepared them and rested on the sabbath. This must have been the second Sabbath that weeks as Jesus was put into the tomb as the sabbath was beginning. He arose exactly 72 hours later. as the first day was beginning. 3 days and three nights, exactly.

• Members

I did answer one in post no 34.

Jesus was to be in the tomb the same length of time that Jonah was in the fist, 3 days and three nights.

As Jesus was put into the tomb as the sabbath was beginning, at twilight Wednesday/Thursday. He rose exacly three days and three nights later, twilight Saturday/Sunday evening as the first day was beginning.

Mary went early on the first day of the week, ie early in the evening.

Mark 16:1 ¶ And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
Luke 23:52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
1 ¶ Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.

Note verse 56. They bought spices and prepared them and rested on the sabbath. This must have been the second Sabbath that weeks as Jesus was put into the tomb as the sabbath was beginning. He arose exactly 72 hours later. as the first day was beginning. 3 days and three nights, exactly.

Where do you get the idea that Wednesday is the sabbath? Saturday is the Sabbath.

• Members

Where do you get the idea that Wednesday is the sabbath? Saturday is the Sabbath.

Not Wednesday, Thursday. There were two sabbaths that week, 1st was the high day for the passover, 2nd, the normal sabbath.

• Members

Not Wednesday, Thursday. There were two sabbaths that week, 1st was the high day for the passover, 2nd, the normal sabbath.

Ahh, yes there was the high sabbath. I have heard various views as to which day it was. Some say Friday others say that it was also on Saturday. Obviously you take the position that it was on Thursday. I do not believe that he was crucified on Wednesday.

We have to keep in mind that the Jews counted even a part of a day or night as a day or a night.

• Members

Ahh, yes there was the high sabbath. I have heard various views as to which day it was. Some say Friday others say that it was also on Saturday. Obviously you take the position that it was on Thursday. I do not believe that he was crucified on Wednesday.

We have to keep in mind that the Jews counted even a part of a day or night as a day or a night.

Yes, I know that some people teach that, but Jesus said "Mt 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." As His body was put into the tomb as the sabbath was beginning, if the crucifiction was on Friday, and the resurrection part way through the first day while it was yet dark, that would mean he was in the tomb only one day and part of a night.

Three days and three nights is pretty definite.

• Members

While some scriptures say he would rebuild the temple in three days, or within three days, it also says he would rise after three days.

Mt 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mr 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Yes, I know that some people teach that, but Jesus said "Mt 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." As His body was put into the tomb as the sabbath was beginning, if the crucifiction was on Friday, and the resurrection part way through the first day while it was yet dark, that would mean he was in the tomb only one day and part of a night.

Three days and three nights is pretty definite.

Jewish days and nights are counted different that our days and nights. Their new day begins at 6:00 PM not 12:00 AM.