• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

farouk,

re: "The resurrection of the Lord Jesus corresponded with the feast of firstfruits."

But the only reference of the first day of the week with regard to Firstfruits is to say when it is to be waved/presented to the Lord. The Messiah did indeed became the antitype when He resurrected, but the "first day" requirement was only fulfilled when He presented himself to the Father. Nothing with regard to the actual timing of the resurrection can be definitively determined from what is said about Firstfruits.

• Members

farouk,

re: "The resurrection of the Lord Jesus corresponded with the feast of firstfruits."

But the only reference of the first day of the week with regard to Firstfruits is to say when it is to be waved/presented to the Lord. The Messiah did indeed became the antitype when He resurrected, but the "first day" requirement was only fulfilled when He presented himself to the Father. Nothing with regard to the actual timing of the resurrection can be definitively determined from what is said about Firstfruits.

What is your point?

• Members

For what reason are you looking? Are you doing some sort of research?

What saith the Scripture? Isn't that the most important as the human authors are subject to error where the Author of the Book of books the Word of God does not and we have the Spirit of the Author that leads us into truth sometimes even contrary to human authors...

• Members

Deb2live4Christ,

re: "For what reason are you looking? "

I state the reason in the OP.

But since you also set aside the matter of Christ embodying the Feast of Firstfruits, to which the day of resurrection corresponds, I'm not sure that your OP alone explains your apparent aim.

• Members

farouk,

re: "But since you also set aside the matter of Christ embodying the Feast of Firstfruits..."

I didn’t do that. I agreed that the Messiah did became the antitype of first fruits when He resurrected. What I disagreed with was the use of first fruits to definitively place the day of the resurrection. The only requirement with regard to the first day was the waving of the sheaf before the Lord, which corresponds with the Messiah presenting Himself to the Father. This occurred sometime after the resurrection.

re: "... I'm not sure that your OP alone explains your apparent aim."

My only apparent and actual aim as stated in the OP is to identify a published author and a quote from that author that argues for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because - at least in part - due to a first day resurrection and who uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day resurrection.

Edited by rstrats

• Members

farouk,

re: "But since you also set aside the matter of Christ embodying the Feast of Firstfruits..."

I didn’t do that. I agreed that the Messiah did became the antitype of first fruits when He resurrected. What I disagreed with was the use of first fruits to definitively place the day of the resurrection. The only requirement with regard to the first day was the waving of the sheaf before the Lord, which corresponds with the Messiah presenting Himself to the Father. This occurred sometime after the resurrection.

re: "... I'm not sure that your OP alone explains your apparent aim."

My only apparent and actual aim as stated in the OP is to identify a published author and a quote from that author that argues for a change of observance from the seventh day to the first day because - at least in part - due to a first day resurrection and who uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day resurrection.

While clever politicians and lawyers issue what are sometimes known as non-denial denials, I guess yours would be described as a denying non-denial. Essentially you are saying that the timetable of the Lord's resurrection after the Cross has nothing to do with the timing of the Feast of Firstfruits, but instead, there are moral and spiritual lessons to it which, however, supposedly do not involve its timescale. Whereas the timing was indeed important: he is the 'firstfruits of them that slept'; others, too, rose from the dead after the Lord Jesus did; if their rising from the dead was supposedly not linked particularly to the the Lord Jesus being the 'firstfruits of them that slept', then what does this say about the Lord Jesus being the heir of all things and the believer's head and Lord?

• Members

Actually, Mark 16:9 doesn't say he rose on the first day, it says: 9 ¶ Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils. That is He was risen, and early on the first day of the week he appeared to Mary M.

It is quite plain from other scriptures that Jesus died on the Wednesday and was put in the tomb as the Sabbath (the high day) was beginning. He rose on the 7th/1st day just as the normal Sabbath was beginning, or dawning, three days and three nights later. Mt 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Invicta,

re: "Actually, Mark 16:9 doesn't say he rose on the first day..."

It does in the KJV which is the version I’m using for the purpose of this topic. You're referring to versions/translations that place the comma after "risen" such as the "The Centenary Translation", "The Sacred Scriptures-Bethel Edition", "The Contemporary English Version", "The Montgomery Translation", "The Expositors Greek Testament" and "God’s New Covenant-A New Testament Translation".

• Members

Invicta,

re: "Actually, Mark 16:9 doesn't say he rose on the first day..."

It does in the KJV which is the version I’m using for the purpose of this topic. You're referring to versions/translations that place the comma after "risen" such as the "The Centenary Translation", "The Sacred Scriptures-Bethel Edition", "The Contemporary English Version", "The Montgomery Translation", "The Expositors Greek Testament" and "God’s New Covenant-A New Testament Translation".

No,

It was my understanding from the KJV.

• Members

Invicta,

re: "He rose on the 7th/1st day..."

Huh?

re: "It is quite plain from other scriptures that Jesus died on the Wednesday..."

Luke 24:21 says that the first day of the week was the 3rd day SINCE the things mentioned in verse 20 had been done. That would make the seventh day the 2nd day SINCE the last of the things (the crucifixion) were done which would make the sixth day the 1st day SINCE those things were done. This would make the fifth day the day that the last of the things mentioned in verse 20 were done. A Wednesday or
4th day crucifixion would make the first day of the week the 4th day SINCE and not the 3rd day SINCE the things were done.

re: "No, It was my understanding from the KJV."

"And having risen on the first (day) of the week,..." With the comma placed after week in the KJV, verse 9 specifically says that the resurrection took place on the first day of the week.

• Members

Invicta,

re: "He rose on the 7th/1st day..."

Huh?

re: "It is quite plain from other scriptures that Jesus died on the Wednesday..."

Luke 24:21 says that the first day of the week was the 3rd day SINCE the things mentioned in verse 20 had been done. That would make the seventh day the 2nd day SINCE the last of the things (the crucifixion) were done which would make the sixth day the 1st day SINCE those things were done. This would make the fifth day the day that the last of the things mentioned in verse 20 were done. A Wednesday or
4th day crucifixion would make the first day of the week the 4th day SINCE and not the 3rd day SINCE the things were done.

re: "No, It was my understanding from the KJV."

"And having risen on the first (day) of the week,..." With the comma placed after week in the KJV, verse 9 specifically says that the resurrection took place on the first day of the week.

How long was Jonah in the fish?