• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Topic #1 (Bible History Timeline)

• Members

Here is an intresting question...The KJV1611 is well documented as far as the men who translated it and the situation surrounding the reason for it's translation. What about the Great Bible? King Henry approved on the translation of this being the first Authorized Version. I have never seen to much info on the Great Bible in all my research. What does anyone know about this? I will take some time to research this. Those of you who are intrested on this topic research it too. When I come back to work in three days lets place down some of the main points we have learned.

I hope this is a good openner.

God Bless!!!!!

• Members

Since te Great Bible came out in 1539...and I was feeling old. It came out due to King Henry VIII desire to bascially slap the pope cross the face. It also came out 3 years after the execution of William Tyndale (a personal hero of mine). Do you think this Bible came out do to Tyndale's prayer to open the kings eyes? I have often wondered this. Well, what do you think?

(Please feel free to ask questions of your own as well. As long as we keep it on Bible History that's all I care. Even if it leaves the Great Bible and onto another. Thanks!)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The term AV1611 comes from when it was translated (actually, when it was finished being translated). Some people use the term as a general title for the King James Bible. Others use it wrongly to mean an actual copy of the 1611 printing. There are no King James Bibles being printed today that are exactly the same as the 1611, with all its printing errors and spelling. IF someone truly did reprint the 1611, it would be filled with archaic spelling and printing errors. Here are two articles worth reading on the standardization of the spelling in the KJV and on what type of changes were made in regards to the printing of the KJV. The edition of the KJV that people use today would technically be the 1769 edition.

Myth Of Early Revisions - by David Reagan
What About Those Printing Errors In The 1611 Holy Bible? - by Will Kinney

• Members

Since te Great Bible came out in 1539...and I was feeling old. It came out due to King Henry VIII desire to bascially slap the pope cross the face. It also came out 3 years after the execution of William Tyndale (a personal hero of mine). Do you think this Bible came out do to Tyndale's prayer to open the kings eyes? I have often wondered this. Well, what do you think?

(Please feel free to ask questions of your own as well. As long as we keep it on Bible History that's all I care. Even if it leaves the Great Bible and onto another. Thanks!)

Funny you wrote this. I bought a William Tyndale dvd for my young children from Koorong and at the end it says his prayer was answered with King Henry ordering a bible translated. It always confused me because I thought it was King James who answered that prayer. You have answered my confusion of sorts.

:thumb:blossom

• Members

My King James Bible I ask my Pastor to look over and approve because I've heard there are some out there "changing" things and calling themselves King James Bibles. Pastor said mine hasn't any prOBlems and explained what to look for in certaing places. Yet, something is bothering me! When referring to God 'He' isn't captialized! Am I being overly comcerned?

• Members

My King James Bible I ask my Pastor to look over and approve because I've heard there are some out there "changing" things and calling themselves King James Bibles. Pastor said mine hasn't any prOBlems and explained what to look for in certaing places. Yet, something is bothering me! When referring to God 'He' isn't captialized! Am I being overly comcerned?

Please give us an example.

• Members

His By Grace is prOBably referring to the rabbit trail some get on about other editions of the KJV put out by certain publishers changing the spelling of words "which totally changes the meaning" and is no longer a KJV. I have checked out these so-called changes, and it is simply a scare tactic. Spelling differences do NOT change the meaning of Bible passages.** The only prOBlem I see with them is that it makes it harder to use a Strong's Concordance or Bible program to look up all occurrences of a word because you might not think to also type in a variant spelling.

**Also, if spelling changes were a no-no, then we are all in trouble because the spelling of English words has changed in the last 400 years, and the spellings we now use in our KJV for some words is different than it was in 1611.

• Members

Capitalizing references to Deity is a fairly recent development. It is something that we do now to show respect for God, but it wasn't always so. It isn't a sin to write "he" instead of "He" for God.

• Members

Let's see if I can remember several. One is Genesis 1: 2 false: spirit of God--- real KJV Gen. 1:2 Spirit of God There are several but right now I don't have them in my head! I can get them for you! in Christ, His by Grace Sound's Did I read that right?from your post's above Jerry that you believe this isn't a issue?

• Members

Right - I have checked it out and it is a side-track. There are various places in the NT and OT where Spirit is capitalized or not capitalized - where it could go the other way. The same Bibles that might have "Spirit" in Genesis 1 might have "spirit" in another passage where it is OBviously referring to God's Spirit. There is no capitalization in the Hebrew or Greek, so it is up to the translators' preference whether to capitalize certain words or not.

The article that makes such a big deal of this issue was put together by "Bearing Precious Seeds" ministry, and seems to be a push for their "editions" or printed Bibles, or to needlessly create alarm. But there are two prOBlems with that:

1) I have a NT at home by Bearing Precious Seeds, and it does not even have all the "original spellings" that it is supposed to have!

2) I later learned "Bearing Precious Seeds" is an umbrella name standing for many INDEPENDENT printers that have no connection with each other beyond the fact that they all print the King James Bible.

• Members

Let's see if I can remember several. One is Genesis 1: 2 false: spirit of God--- real KJV Gen. 1:2 Spirit of God There are several but right now I don't have them in my head! I can get them for you! in Christ, His by Grace Sound's Did I read that right?from your post's above Jerry that you believe this isn't a issue?

My Old Scofield Bible has Spirit in Genesis 1:2 capitalized. So does my Sword Searcher Bible on my computer, as does my E-Sword Bible too.

I'm not up on what the other Jerry is speaking of.

• Members

How about this verse?

Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

It's not capitalized, but it is referring to the Holy Spirit - must not be a real KJV.

Exodus 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

Matthew 12:18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

Oh, not again - and that is in the NT.

Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

Isaiah 59:21 As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.

Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Psalms 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Psalms 139:7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Isaiah 40:7-8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass. The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

Isaiah 40:13 Who hath directed the Spirit of the LORD, or being his counseller hath taught him?

Same Holy Spirit - even the same chapter! But not capitalized both times. Defective Bibles? Oh wait, all my Bibles are the same here.

Okay, here is one I remember that group making an issue of:

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

Two Bibles I have in print on my table - one has a capital "S", one does not. Two Bible programs on my Ipod - one has a capital "S", one does not. Does it change the meaning? Both words mean the same. I believe the passage is clearly speaking about the Holy Spirit, as were those other verses - capital "s" or not, the Holy Spirit is in view. Do I wish all Bibles were consistent on this issue all the way through? Sure, is one Bible or one program any less trustworthy - should I care any less for the surrounding Bible context that will determine which spirit is in view? No.