• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

what would you separate over?

• Members

I fail to understand what is off topic about your post. it was right on the mark, you told what you would separate from, the topic was and is, "what would you separate over."

Just because Just_A_Thought would not separate the issue you stated, does not mean you were off topic.

In fact I gave you a positive reputation because of that post. In fact I fail to understand why Just_A_Thought said that to you.

I said it was off topic because he almost started to debate the pants issue. If he had just stated he would seperated over women wearing pants that would have been fine. I did not want to go off topic. The topic was what you would seperate for not what is wrong with women wearing pants.

To make it easier you can just type JAT instead of my full screen name.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I said it was off topic because he almost started to debate the pants issue. If he had just stated he would seperated over women wearing pants that would have been fine. I did not want to go off topic. The topic was what you would seperate for not what is wrong with women wearing pants.

To make it easier you can just type JAT instead of my full screen name.

Thank you very much Jerry, but really, it is ok. If the administrator locked out a thread to that effect, it may be wise for me to leave it alone. I do wonder why people get upset over it, instead if just submitting to it though; it is the same with men and long hair, and sometimes both sexes and the wrong kind of music! We have all been down that road, no doubt. Oops! I am outta here!
Anyway, thanks for the rep point. I am not sure what all that means, but thank you very much

(I have the gift of teachuing, and I just have to say something when the opportunity presents itself. Please bear with me as I attempt to use the gift that God has given me. There will be other opportunities, no doubt)

• Members

The question I would ask is what SPECIFIC examples do we see the New Testament church separating over? The commands to separate are there, but they are always preceded by a call to ignore some disagreements. So where we draw the line needs to be based on where they drew the line. So again, what SPECIFIC examples are there in Scripture of folks who separated?

I can think of two:
1. Man sleeping with his step mom.

2. The folks who were teaching that the Resurrection never happened (IIRC).

So we have gross immorality and gross doctrinal error. Any others?

• Administrators

Good points, Dwayne!

1 Corinthians 5: 9-11 lays out some separation parameters:

I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

These verses clearly show some we are to separate from. I don't believe that Paul is saying it's okay to run aroudn with the lost in these verses - but I think he is saying that it isn't wrong to spend time with them, because they are not going to know the love of Christ if we don't show them (however, that doesn't mean that I think it's okay to join them in their sin...).

But if a Christian is involved in these things, we are not to even eat with them! I think eating is used here because it is such a common way to fellowship.

If we are talking about church attendance, I, too (when I say I, my hubby is included) would attend IFB (although there are some Bible churches that we might attend on vacation). We would look for a church that uses only the KJV. And we would look closely at the standards that are taught. We would look at the music - no CCM for us. We would look at the ministries the church has, and their effectiveness (especially at their soulwinning efforts). And we would be sticklers for doctrine [actually the most important, because if the doctrine is correct, so will all else be].

If we are talking about personal friendships, I would base my friendships on whether or not someone is a Christian and obviously living it. If my Christian friends do notfall under the categories listed in the verses I quoted, I see no problem having lunch with them.

An example is a lovely lady with whom I work. She is a Christian, but she attends a church that teaches tongues and that you can lose your salvation. But she is one of the most gracious, loving Christians I know (I'm not discounting my church friends, just using an example). I would never attend her church, but I have eaten in her home. We love to discuss the Bible, politics, etc...and we agree on just about everything. She knows where I stand on tongues and eternal security, and Biblically is just something that we don't discuss any more.

I agree that sometimes Christians can be too judgmental. But that isn't the fault of the standards of separation...that is the fault of the Christian and pride! And I think that sometimes Christians can indeed be too rigid. But there is a growing movement of Christians that, I believe, accept and tolerate too much!

BTW - irishman, good post!

• Members

I think there is a major misunderstanding on what "separate" realy means. To me, it dosen't mean to compeletly leave one church to go to/form another. It means to draw a line between two different and apparently conflicting positions so that differences are readily identifyiable easily addressable. The way some people define "separation", they really mean "giving up." Its just like with a married couple. When problems creep in and pose a danger to the marriage, they are faced with two options: work it out, or separate. Same with a household threaten by an outsider, who say, comes into your house to steal from you, or do you harm. Do you run away? Or do you stay and fight for what you believe? My church, which is two thousand years old, has faced severe hurdles recently. Some have chosen to leave, to give up on everything that has been built. But others remain, intent on driving out that which has crept in.

• Members

Our Bible gives us a few examples to use and how to handle such situations as separating from sin and false teachings, but does not give us ever example that will come up that we ought to separate from.

Many Christians do not know how to divide the word of the truth, so they fail to know when false teachings be present, plus, way to many teach acceptance of sin and false teachings, not separation from sin and false teachings.

Way to many churches fear standing up against sin and false teachings for fear of losing members. It seems for them number of members mean much more to them than holding to God's truth. Remember, usually more members means more money in the offering plate.

Then there be those who want to stay completely away from controversy. If one will take notice Jesus' ministry was filled with controversy. If one takes a strong stand for God's way, there will be controversy. If there is no controversy in your Christian walk be assured your probably not standing strong for Christ.

Remember to, you can't please everyone, and the one we are to please is God. To many worry to much about pleasing other human who are in their sight and not God who is out of sight, this quote comes in here, "Out of sight, out of mind,"

Eph 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;

Yes, way to many Christians are menpleasers and forget who will be the one that will judges them, it want be the men they tried to please, but Jesus.

When a person is selecting a home church, they really need to check it out closely, and not jump into it blindly. Just because its called a church does not mean its a God pleasing church.

• Members

What would cause me to separate myself from a church?

Well I have left two churches over the years for two different things. The first I left because of the preaching of salvation, salvation and more salvation as a matter of fact that was all we ever got was the preaching of salvation, I am not saying preaching salvation is wrong not at all for it is the gospel of Jesus Christ. But scripture teaches us so much more than salvation things like raising family, creating relationships, attacking sin that has gotten a hand hold in our lives, etc.

Pants, length of hair, jewelry etc are insignificant in my opinion what comes from the pulpit is of primary concern because that impacts my family and friends. Calvinism, humanism, improper hermeneutics, spiritualizing the text, rabbit chasing out of context all these if they were consistent from the pulpit would probably cause me to leave after a peaceful confrontation with pastor and staff.

The second thing that caused me to leave is improper handling of finances what I mean here is expenditures that are not reasonable. I am not speaking of pastor and staff going to a fellowship meeting or going out of state for a training session (like leadership training in Lancaster. Ca.). I am speaking of expenses that just do not look right and when you ask questions you get evasive answers or no answer at all. A pastor who always has a lot of cash in a small church and petty cash that seems to have multiple hits for a few hundred dollars each month. You can

• Members

I would think that improper dress would be a big concern for any child of God that has a great love for his Lord.

I suppose improper dressing has cause more adulterous affairs than anything else, and not doubt it has cause many men to commit adultery in their mind.

Mt

• Members

I would think that improper dress would be a big concern for any child of God that has a great love for his Lord.

I suppose improper dressing has cause more adulterous affairs than anything else, and not doubt it has cause many men to commit adultery in their mind.

Mt

• Members

It all makes perfect sense now. The only reason men committ adultery is because women dress immodestly, which induces the men's uncontrollable urge to cheat on their wives. It's not the man's fault at all. I mean, if the paramour would not have dressed immodestly (a subjective standard by the way), then the man would never have been tempted in the first place. I guess this is why Muslim men living in cultures that force women to wear burqas never committ adultery. Please. Are the moderator's just going to let nonsense like this remain on these boards for all to see?

WOW!!!... on this board it's always about how immodest women dress...what about men? Someone I know told me how sensual it is to look at men who are dressed immodestly (jeans with holes in them, and tight tank tops, etc.). I suggest that men should read their Bible and stop trying to blame someone else for his or any other man's failure to fight temptation.

Love,
Madeline

• Moderators

WOW!!!... on this board it's always about how immodest women dress...what about men? Someone I know told me how sensual it is to look at men who are dressed immodestly (jeans with holes in them, and tight tank tops, etc.). I suggest that men should read their Bible and stop trying to blame someone else for his or any other man's failure to fight temptation.

Love,
Madeline

Actually, I DO preach against immodestly attired men (I realize you specified "on this board" but it's an attitude that's prevailent outside this board too), both the "look at my one grey chest hair, ain't I soooo sexy" type AND the ones who draw attention to themselves by decking out like an IFB pimp!!

Let's not forget the sorry excuses for manhood who saunter in and begin fellowshiping w/ everyone w/o a care in this world, while their wife plays "pack mule" dragging in 4 Bibles, 3 diaper bags, 2 strollers --- and a partridge in a pear tree for the church fellowship!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Actually, I DO preach against immodestly attired men (I realize you specified "on this board" but it's an attitude that's prevailent outside this board too), both the "look my my one grey chest hair, ain't I soooo sexy" type AND the ones who draw attention to themselves by decking out like an IFB pimp!!

Let's not forget the sorry excuses for manhood who saunter in and begin fellowshiping w/ everyone w/o a care in this world, while their wife plays "pack mule" dragging in 4 Bibles, 3 diaper bags, 2 strollers --- and a partridge in a pear tree for the church fellowship!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you stopped preaching and started meddlin! lol

I like how you meddle.................!!!!!