• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Salvation question

Guest Leastofsaints

• Members

Salvation (from Hell) is what God gives when you accept the Gospel. That is, the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is a decision. You must:
- realize that you are a sinner
- realize that the penalty for your sin is to go to Hell
- realize that you cannot save yourself
- realize that Jesus Christ died for you and that He gives a rebirth (new life)
- then, realizing all this, you act upon it and you accept this truth.

So, the Bible teaches that you cannot be saved simply by coming to Jesus for help to live right. It also teaches that you cannot be saved by simply asking for eternal life, or asking to be close to God.

You must see who you are, then see who He is, and see that you need to be saved - or else you continue to be destined for Hell. You must realize your need for a Saviour and then accept His gift of salvation.

If you have done that then you are saved. If you have not, then you are still lost and on your way to a devils hell.

Hope that helps...

Guest Leastofsaints

Salvation (from Hell) is what God gives when you accept the Gospel. That is, the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is a decision. You must:
- realize that you are a sinner
- realize that the penalty for your sin is to go to Hell
- realize that you cannot save yourself
- realize that Jesus Christ died for you and that He gives a rebirth (new life)
- then, realizing all this, you act upon it and you accept this truth.

So, the Bible teaches that you cannot be saved simply by coming to Jesus for help to live right. It also teaches that you cannot be saved by simply asking for eternal life, or asking to be close to God.

You must see who you are, then see who He is, and see that you need to be saved - or else you continue to be destined for Hell. You must realize your need for a Saviour and then accept His gift of salvation.

If you have done that then you are saved. If you have not, then you are still lost and on your way to a devils hell.

Hope that helps...

• Members

Do you have a scripture reference that says a person must realize they are going to hell to be saved?

It is part of the gospel. To be Biblically correct I should say that you are saved from your sin, the penalty of which is to go to Hell. One needs to realize that they are a sinner and thus, they need to be saved from their sin, the penalty of which is Hell. I hear preachers say all the time that "you cannot pay for your sin." I know what they mean but in reality you can and will pay for your sin if you don't accept Christ. You pay for it by going to Hell.

Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The death spoken of in the above verse is spiritual death, the Lake of Fire.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

So, knowing you are going to Hell is a result of knowing you are a sinner. And in order to be saved, I believe you must realize your need as a lost sinner. Thus, you'll also believe that without Christ you are on your way to hell.

Guest Leastofsaints

That's my point. I was wanting to be forgiven of sin and help to avoid it in the future. I understand all the doctine (e.g. sin, substitution, atonement, justification etc...). My fear is that as a child I repeated the "sinner's prayer" with head knowledge, but then at 16 I saw God as holy and me as a wicked sinner and I wanted to be reconciled to God (as stated earlier). I wasn't thinking of hell or heaven. Later, when I had more bible education I made 3 more professions. So, my thought is that the reason each profession does not satisfy me is that I was saved at 16 when I turned to Christ for forgiveness and victory over sin in my life. I am just trying to weigh everything by scripture and not by feeling. I am weigh if this is just my emotions or the devil attacking me (causing doubt and fear).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That's my point. I was wanting to be forgiven of sin and help to avoid it in the future. I understand all the doctine (e.g. sin, substitution, atonement, justification etc...). My fear is that as a child I repeated the "sinner's prayer" with head knowledge, but then at 16 I saw God as holy and me as a wicked sinner and I wanted to be reconciled to God (as stated earlier). I wasn't thinking of hell or heaven. Later, when I had more bible education I made 3 more professions. So, my thought is that the reason each profession does not satisfy me is that I was saved at 16 when I turned to Christ for forgiveness and victory over sin in my life. I am just trying to weigh everything by scripture and not by feeling. I am weigh if this is just my emotions or the devil attacking me (causing doubt and fear).

My friend, lets cut though all the "rules" and "steps" and get right to the Bible here. Salvation comes through the finished work of Jesus Christ on the Cross, and only that. When a person come to the point in their life (through hearing the Gospel, "faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God"), that they realize they are a sinner, seperated from God, and that Jesus, through His death and shed blood on the Cross, has paid the price that God requires for that sin, and they, from their heart accept that payment and call out to God in Jesus name to save them, then they are saved.

At that very moment, God gives the gift of the Holy Spirit to seal you unto the day of redemption. You become a child of God through adoption, and your name is writen down in the Book of Life in Heaven for all eternity.

Salvation is by faith, not feelings. It is through the work of Christ on the Cross, not by ANYTHING you can do.

So, if from your heart, you have truly placed your trust in what Jesus did on the cross as payment for your sins, then you are saved.

The Bible also tells us that God's spirit testifies with our spirit that we are His child. So, if your saved, you know it... not by feelings, but by the testimony of the Holy Spirit within you.

The Bible also says that a person becomes a new person after salvation, "Old things are passed away, behold all things become new". So if your truly saved, you will see the hand of God working in your life, creating a ndw person in you.

The Bible further says that if your saved, you have become "born again", not of flesh and blood, but of the Spirit of God. So, if your saved, you will have become spiritually alive. Things of God become imporatant to you, God's Word becomes important to you.

So, what I am saying is that if your truly saved, you will know it. By faith, by the testimony of the Holy Spirit, by the hand of God in your life, and by a new spiritual life within you.

If these things are not present to some extent, then you need to question what your basing your salvation on, and take steps to correct it.

God bless
Evangelist Paul