• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Time Period of Dinosaurs

• Members

"world that then was"
It means what it says...
it "then was" and now it ain't. How hard is that? What happened to it? God destroyed it.
God destroyed "a world" during the flood. Otherwise the Bible would not say "the world that then was" . Who's to say He didn't also destroy "the world" that "then was" between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2? I'm open to the possibility.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Who's to say He didn't also destroy "the world" that "then was" between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2?

Why does there have to be anything between 1 and 2?

I'm not trying to be obtuse here; I just don't understand why we have to force a meaning that isn't there.

There are many examples of people in the past scoffing, mocking and just plain disbelieving certain passages in the Bible because there was no proof that what was mentioned actually existed. The Hittites and King Belshazzar come to mind. The scientists loudly proclaimed that they didn't exist and the Bible was false until one day, oops, they came across evidence. Once Science confirmed the Biblical account, it was suddenly ok to believe that the Hittites and King Belshazzar actually did exist.

I know you aren't disbelieving Creation and the fact that dinos did in fact exist at some point, but I feel that the Gap Theory was originally devised to account for Science's explanations of dinos, fossils and time periods that don't match the Bible.

As far as the dinos go, there are plenty of tales from medieval times and prior (Job, for example) that indicate the dinos did in fact exist with man and have since gone extinct. When you are species with a low birth rate and are hunted by man, you will likely die off, and there are many species that have done so. Only recently have our societies sought to preserve endangered species.

• Members

I think this may be the crux of the matter. The only way I can really prove to this lost world that God is really real, is by being filled with His Spirit, living for Jesus, letting my light shine so the world can see that this is reality. Just beleive that God created the heaven and the earth in six days and leave it at that. Because I can point to the word "horse", "sheep", or "dog" in the Bible and confidently tell you what each creature was. But I cannot, in honesty, tell people things like "a behemoth was a dinosaur"....because we simply do not know that for a fact. I just don't believe God is pleased with it. And about the gap theory, if you will go back and read my last post, I said "I'm open to the possiblity". How can that be "forcing a meaning"?

• Members

A most excellent book on this (and much more) is "The Genesis Flood" by Whitcomb and Morris. It will answer many of the issues brought up in this thread. This is a very extensive work on the topic of origins, flood, fossils, the ark, etc, etc. It's worth having on your shelf for reference.

• Members

But I cannot, in honesty, tell people things like "a behemoth was a dinosaur"....because we simply do not know that for a fact. I just don't believe God is pleased with it. And about the gap theory, if you will go back and read my last post, I said "I'm open to the possiblity". How can that be "forcing a meaning"?

No, I don't think that you, personally, are forcing a meaning; but, I do know Gap Theorists who believe it has to be that way because of the lack of info concerning the dinos.

• Members

I can't really add much to the conversation. I believe the Bible clearly states that EVERYTHING was created in 6 literal - 24 hour days about 6,000 years ago. As pointed out there are a lot of problems if you deny this. One thing not mentioned is that typically if you believe in billions of years you have to also deny a global flood.