• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Breadmaker

• Members

I like to bake bread using my stand mixer and regular recipes, but I also have a "Breadman Ulitmate plus" bread machine. Here are two recipes that are quite good. I've never had trouble with either of them, and I did not tweak them at all here in Michigan, but in Utah, when we lived there (it is VERY dry) I added just a little more liquid--maybe a couple of tablespoons. These use standard U.S. measurements. These are both for 2lb. loaves, since that is what you mentioned yours were........if you want directions for 1lb or 1 1/2lb. loaves, let me know.

EGG BREAD
2 large eggs, plus enough room temp. water to equal 1-1/3 cups combined

2 Tbs. oil
2 1/2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2-1/2 Tbs. powdered milk
4 cups bread flour
2-1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

Add all wet ingredients first, then dry ingredients.....being sure to add yeast last on top. *set to "white bread cycle"

WHOLE WHEAT WITH GLUTEN BREAD

1-1/2 cups room temp. water
3 Tbs. oil
3 Tbs. molasses
2 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. powdered milk
4 cups whole wheat flour
3 Tbs. gluten
2-1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

Add all wet ingredients first, then dry ingredients.....being sure to add yeast last on top without getting it wet. *Select whole wheat cycle

P.S. Make sure to remove bread from pan as soon as it is done baking to prevent the bread from getting soggy. I'm not sure what happened with your previous loaves, usually I've read that bread sags or falls when it is either too wet or rose too much etc. I would make sure I used regular measuring cups, though for the above recipes. Good luck!

• Members

Thanks,

I will have to try one of those recipes.

My machine was given to me by a friend who had never used it. It is a Schneider Breadmaker and the address in the manual is a box number in Sale, England. As I said, we usually weigh our recipes rather than measure them, but this breadmaker did come with a cup measure, with

• Members

Perhaps you could use the cups measurement for a few times and weigh it as you go, and once the bread turns out how you like, then, just switch to weighing it all the time? I have a recipe book that come with my bread machine with a bunch of recipes, if you are looking for something specific, let me know. There are various white bread variations, whole wheat, fruit and nut type, gluten free, low carb etc.

• Members

Perhaps you could use the cups measurement for a few times and weigh it as you go, and once the bread turns out how you like, then, just switch to weighing it all the time? I have a recipe book that come with my bread machine with a bunch of recipes, if you are looking for something specific, let me know. There are various white bread variations, whole wheat, fruit and nut type, gluten free, low carb etc.

Thanks.

I did try measuring it that way. I cup of flour was just over 100g. Actually I tried two cups of white and 2 cups of wholemeal and each cup varied from 100g to about 120g. I did try a white bread mix which worked reasonably well, but again the top sank. They gave 10 oz water for hand baking and 12 oz in a machine. I used the latter but I think it was too much.

We'll get there eventually.

I did try a sourdough loaf, using the dough programme, then the bake programme, that came out reasonably well but I didn't like the taste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My book said to check the dough when the machine is kneading it to see if it needs any more flour or whatever.
You might try using the dough cycle and when the machine is finished, spread some flour on a flat surface, put the dough on the flour, turn the dough to get flour all over it and place the dough in a greased loaf pan. Cover loaf with cloth and let rise in a warm place til above the pan. For a 1-1/2 lb. loaf bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. When done, dump loaf out onto a rack and slather butter all over the loaf except for the bottom. Let cool, slice, and then store in a plastic bag. CJP56
I too have heard that a saggy loaf usually means the dough has risen too much.

• Members

I have had a few reasonably successful loaves including a package Sundried Tomato and Parmesan, but on each the top of the loaf was very soft.

I have a packet of ciabatta bread mix to try. I bought both in a store which was closing down. The ciabatta says use

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have just tried comparing my cup measures. I filled up the one that came with the machine, which has a graduated jug, with water to the i cup point. I then pored that into a measure which was one of a set of different size. I filled it to the brim and still had a quarter of a cup left, so that may be part of my problem.

Today I tried making loaf using the French bread programme. The recipe lists one and a third cups of water, but there is no third graduation although there is one for two thirds. So I had to guess. It was obviously too dry so I added 2 or 3 tablespoons of water. The loaf rose well and is quite nice. The recipe did not include sugar, is that normal for French bread? I added some just in case and it didn't seem to cause a disaster. It just has water, flour and yeast in the recipe.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hello,

I read your comment and had made the recipe.What a nice piece of work it was so easy for me to get details very easily as you have presented it so nicely and clearly.Well nice information sharing,i must say.I am really pleased to see such sharing at the community.I will let know about this to my friends also.I am sure they too will like to make this type of recipe lot.Try to share more like this in future.

thank you!!

• Members

Invicta, I have way more experience with bread machines than I would like to admit. #1 Older recipes for bread don't do well in a bread machine. You have to work on converting them (don't think I would go there just yet) OR let the machine mix on the dough stage. It will beep when ready to take out. Remove and shape. Now grease the pan size you need and bake as old recipe says. You can use quick rising yeast even when regular type called for with no prOBlem.Just adjust the last rise time. Usually states how on the jar! #2 Now stop buying those mixes from the store! You can do sooo much better for waaaay less many!! #3 Use some recipes made/or adjusted by them for a Bread Machine. If your machine came from a country that uses metric I would try atleast once using all metric measurements.#4 Even using cups etc. when measuring your flour have you been using a "scoop" method meaning you put your measuring cup down into the flour when full you level off with a knife. IF so, try another methd many bakers use instead. You put the dry measuring cup on a level surface and use a spoon to take flour from the container and fill your cup this way then level by moving the back of the knife to level. DO NOT try and tap the cup of flour down and add more. I know thses sound like such small things but from baking all our baked goods I can report from experience these little things really matter! Once you find the issue with the loaves you'll have found it so just don't give up! Praying the Lord uses this experience for your good and His Glory! Should have shared before...praying before baking has helped me many times!! His by Grace

• Members

Invicta, I have way more experience with bread machines than I would like to admit. #1 Older recipes for bread don't do well in a bread machine. You have to work on converting them (don't think I would go there just yet) OR let the machine mix on the dough stage. It will beep when ready to take out. Remove and shape. Now grease the pan size you need and bake as old recipe says. You can use quick rising yeast even when regular type called for with no prOBlem.Just adjust the last rise time. Usually states how on the jar! #2 Now stop buying those mixes from the store! You can do sooo much better for waaaay less many!! #3 Use some recipes made/or adjusted by them for a Bread Machine. If your machine came from a country that uses metric I would try atleast once using all metric measurements.#4 Even using cups etc. when measuring your flour have you been using a "scoop" method meaning you put your measuring cup down into the flour when full you level off with a knife. IF so, try another methd many bakers use instead. You put the dry measuring cup on a level surface and use a spoon to take flour from the container and fill your cup this way then level by moving the back of the knife to level. DO NOT try and tap the cup of flour down and add more. I know thses sound like such small things but from baking all our baked goods I can report from experience these little things really matter! Once you find the issue with the loaves you'll have found it so just don't give up! Praying the Lord uses this experience for your good and His Glory! Should have shared before...praying before baking has helped me many times!! His by Grace

Thanks. We use metric or imperial (Pounds and ozs, pints and fluid ozs. My bread machine uses cups tablespoons and teaspoons, all of which I use with the measures supplied. I have not made any lately as I my wife doesn't eat bread often and the loaves dry up before I can finish eating them.