• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Know what you mean - mean what you say

• Members

The lost are watching you. This post is not to condemn but, edify. There may be some I use loosely so please point it out to me.

Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

World's definition of good grief:
An exclamation expressing surprise, alarm, dismay, or some other, usually negative emotion. For example, Good grief! You're not going to start all over again, or Good grief! He's dropped the cake. The term is a euphemism for "good God."

What is vain usage of God's name?

• Members
Expressing surprise or alarm is not using God's name in vain.

That is true, expressing surprise or alarm is not vain use of God's name. But, a euphemism that even the worldly knows is pointed toward the Holy God we all worship is disrespectful of God and His Holy name.

Why don't we study the Holiness of God along with the Holiness of His name?

I'll start...

Ezekiel 36:22 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.

• Members
Which post you have a problem with?

No post is a problem. I wondered if some might like to comment on euphemisms referencing God and other repetitive uses of God's name. Also, I thought it might be important in our view of God's holiness.

What do you think, does God care?

• Members

Now that you know what do you think about using it to express astonishment?

Well, actually I still don't "know" that expression is a euphemism.

That said, a person can say various things but not mean what another might think it means and God knows our hearts.

In England when a person uses the word fag he is most likely not referring to what an American would be referring to and yet that expression is a euphemism as are many others with multiple meanings.

• Members

We don't know that "good grief" is a euphemism for "good God," but we do know that you said it is.......

I'm not certain that it is good policy to base what one believes and practices based upon something that one person in cyberspace has declared to be so.

But this is a subject I've wanted to discuss for a long time and look forward to this verbal discourse.

• Members
We don't know that "good grief" is a euphemism for "good God," but we do know that you said it is.......

I'm not certain that it is good policy to base what one believes and practices based upon something that one person in cyberspace has declared to be so.

But this is a subject I've wanted to discuss for a long time and look forward to this verbal discourse.

I thought about answering another way but, the Lord rebuked me. I left off the reference on the original post, oops! How about I just cite references for good grief, my original first then others:

For example, Good grief! You're not going to start all over again, or Good grief ! He's dropped the cake. The term is a euphemism for "good God. ...
dictionary.reference.com/browse/good+grief

?Good grief!? exclam. used to indicate surprise and disbelief (may be used as a euphemistic replacement for ?Good God!? which is considered, by some, ...
www.idiomcenter.com/forum/threads/1662

Euphemisms-Watching How We Speak
What is a euphemism? The idea comes from a Greek word, euphemismos, which fundamentally means "good .... Good grief (Good God). Zounds (by God?s wounds) ...
www.knollwoodchurch.org/yr2002/l02_euphemisms.html

A Dictionary of Catch Phrases: British and American, from the ... - Google Books Resultby Eric Partridge, Paul Beale - 1986 - Language Arts & Disciplines - 384 pages
[good grief! This has been proposed by an eminent scholar; but all such mere euphemisms for good God! are ineligible. On the other hand, good grief, ...
books.google.com/books?isbn=041505916X...

So, now that we can trust me...it's a good topic to discuss among other IFBs and people of like faith.

Well, when I first heard that euphemisms such as these were wrong a couple of years ago I must say it annoyed me. I said things like that all the time without a second thought. I didn't consider there to be anything wrong with it at all and I felt objecting to it was straining at a gnat and just looking for an offense. However, with time, I have come to understand that that at best they are meaningless statements that offend some brothers in Christ(no reason to offend without good cause) and at worst they are euphemistic swearing. Now I try not to use them anymore but I still do so ocassionally out of long habit.

"Matthew 5:34-37 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

"James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation."

"Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak."

• Members
Well, when I first heard that euphemisms such as these were wrong a couple of years ago I must say it annoyed me. I said things like that all the time without a second thought. I didn't consider there to be anything wrong with it at all and I felt objecting to it was straining at a gnat and just looking for an offense. However, with time, I have come to understand that that at best they are meaningless statements that offend some brothers in Christ(no reason to offend without good cause) and at worst they are euphemistic swearing. Now I try not to use them anymore but I still do so ocassionally out of long habit.

"Matthew 5:34-37 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

"James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation."

"Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak."

Several years ago Dr. Homer Massey explained euphamisms to me. I don't use them and as I type I consider what I say. The tenents I "personally" adhere to are: (1) A lost world continues to use these and much worse with reference to God; let our communication show a difference. (2) I agree with your scripture references about preventing any stumbling. New christians should not be yoked but taught. (3) God is holy, God's name is holy, let's not be lawful, proud, or boastful; let our communication show our reverence to our holy God.

Philemon 1:6 That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

If I offend, forgive me, this is meant to edify.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

• Members

I for one had never heard of the origin of "good grief" until I read this thread. I have, however, heard that "oh, my goodness," "oh my gracious," "goodness gracious," "egad," "gadzooks," "land sakes," and many other common expressions of surprise are all blasphemous euphemisms, or at least had blasphemous origins. Vulgar expressions with questionable origins include "kissing up," "bang for your buck," "brown nosing," "great day," etc., etc., etc. (The list really does go on and on.)

I have taught my kids that we do not use "careless speech," or "slang." I don't care so much about the actual origin of a phrase or idiom...because, really, who knew that "good grief" originated in the way it did? (Obviously, "oh my gosh" bears more resemblance to its origin, so I would definitely tell my kids that they may not EVER use this phrase in my house. I wouldn't come out so strongly against "good grief.") I imagine that if I were to ask anyone on the street, Christian or nonchristian, how that phrase originated, they'd have no clue. It has lost that meaning, if indeed it ever had that meaning in general public usage. So, really, my testimony before the world would not be damaged at all if I were to use this expression. (Same with "oh, my goodness," etc.) To me, the issue is not testimony, but what is "best." Another issue is that of knowledge: it is only those people with limited vocabularies who resort to continual slang and vulgarity...They've simply never been taught how to express themselves in a clearer, better way. They lace their speech with the same, old, tired words and idioms; it's sad, really. My desire for believers is that they would learn how to express themselves precisely and creatively enough not to have to rely on these common (vulgar) expressions.

• Members
Here is a good article regarding Christian Cursing:

http://biblebelievers.com/jmelton/ChristianCursing.html

Dr. Massey would be pleased. I had never seen this before but it brings to mind even more scripture.

I just searched on "his name," and there were only 166 verses. Not all may refer to God.

The search on communication gave up a nugget!

2 Kings 9:11 Then Jehu came forth to the servants of his lord: and one said unto him, Is all well? wherefore came this mad fellow to thee? And he said unto them, Ye know the man, and his communication.

What a testimony!"...Ye know the man, and his communication."