• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preaching Thru the Bible

Does your pastor preach "verse by verse?"  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Does your pastor preach "verse by verse?"

• Yes
    • No

• Administrators

One of our assistant pastors does that. He has taught verse by verse in several books - taking a looooong time for it, since he doesn't preach every week. It's always good, though. He's very good at just laying it out for everyone to understand...of course, all of our pastoral staff are! :thumb:

• Members

skipping none and never skimming over the "tough verses", but digging right into them.

Bless his heart! You ever notice that in many commentaries and "helps" the tough verses are quickly passed over or skipped entirely?

• Members

Bless his heart! You ever notice that in many commentaries and "helps" the tough verses are quickly passed over or skipped entirely?

Yes, that seems most often to be the case.

When our pastor gets to a "tough verse" he studies it and after he's determined what he believes it's saying, he will look at commentaries to see what others have said. Most often he finds those verses have been skipped or barely commented on.

• Members

Verse by verse studies have a number of advantages. (1) preaching the WHOLE counsel of God. Topical preaching can miss some of it. (2)Topical preaching makes us prone to ride our own little hobby horses. (3) Subjects can be dealt with as they come. Have you ever felt like the preacher was preaching at you because of something that recently happened. I think many of us have but if the subject comes in the order from the series he is following, how can it be. Its amazing how it "just happens" to come up when it is needed. You would almost think some omniscient God was leading it.(4) It adds continuity to scripture. Do you know what your pastor preached last week? (5) It allows the hearer to be prepared for what he is taught. If I know he is preaching from Romans 8 next week, I can read it. I can ask myself some of the questions i hope he answers. When he does, I understand better what he is saying.