• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John81

Palin resigning as Alaska governor

Again, the word that "may" comes from in those verses is the same word that in other places is "shall." So it is something more than just maybe. Else, as I have pointed out and no-one has commented on, there MAY be some, according to Revelation, who won't get through the gates. Somehow I don't think that's what those verses in Revelation are teaching - because, if it is, then salvation can be lost...

John, our "works" as you put it most definitely do influence people toward salvation!!!! If they didn't, there would be no need for us to be any different from the lost! Of course prayer enters into it. Good grief - where in the world would you even get the idea that I am saying that there's no need to witness if we're not guaranteed success?

Of course, you don't find lack of comfort in what you propose: you are not the wife of an unsaved man!

Where does scripture say that a spouse can't know whether their spouse will be saved? The scripture in 1 Cor. 7 that asks the question is not saying how do you know...it is saying how do you know that it won't happen. And 1 Peter 3 goes on to tell how it will happen.

What about a saved man with an unsaved wife? 1 Cor. 7 gives the same instruction: stay with them if they are pleased to stay...God gives the man many instructions as to being the head of the home - and loving his wife as Christ loves the church. If the man is obedient to that, he will win his wife to Christ.

I guess this isn't a definite, either: "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." John 14:13,14 I realize that He uses the word will here, and not may. But again, the words come from the same root...and here Christ says whatever you ask, He will do. Of course, we know He is talking about things in God's will. Surely salvation fits.

If a wife obeys scripture (and prays, which actually must be done if she's to be obedient!), she will see her husband won. It may not be in a week, it may not be in a decade, but if she is faithful, God will be faithful to her.

Again, the word that "may" comes from in those verses is the same word that in other places is "shall." So it is something more than just maybe. Else, as I have pointed out and no-one has commented on, there MAY be some, according to Revelation, who won't get through the gates. Somehow I don't think that's what those verses in Revelation are teaching - because, if it is, then salvation can be lost...

John, our "works" as you put it most definitely do influence people toward salvation!!!! If they didn't, there would be no need for us to be any different from the lost! Of course prayer enters into it. Good grief - where in the world would you even get the idea that I am saying that there's no need to witness if we're not guaranteed success?

Of course, you don't find lack of comfort in what you propose: you are not the wife of an unsaved man!

Where does scripture say that a spouse can't know whether their spouse will be saved? The scripture in 1 Cor. 7 that asks the question is not saying how do you know...it is saying how do you know that it won't happen. And 1 Peter 3 goes on to tell how it will happen.

What about a saved man with an unsaved wife? 1 Cor. 7 gives the same instruction: stay with them if they are pleased to stay...God gives the man many instructions as to being the head of the home - and loving his wife as Christ loves the church. If the man is obedient to that, he will win his wife to Christ.

I guess this isn't a definite, either: "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." John 14:13,14 I realize that He uses the word will here, and not may. But again, the words come from the same root...and here Christ says whatever you ask, He will do. Of course, we know He is talking about things in God's will. Surely salvation fits.

If a wife obeys scripture (and prays, which actually must be done if she's to be obedient!), she will see her husband won. It may not be in a week, it may not be in a decade, but if she is faithful, God will be faithful to her.

I agree, we can influence people but nothing we do guarantees anothers salvation.

First Corinthians 7:16 says the unsaved spouse doesn't know whether they could save their spouse or not. If First Peter were a promise that a saved spouse could know their unsaved spouse would come to Christ then that would contradict First Corinthians.

I really don't know how you get the idea the First Peter is a promise. I've checked commentaries and what some preachers have wrote on this and none say it's a promise. Couple that with the fact it couldn't be a promise or it would contradict First Corinthians, and First Corinthians is clear that saved spouses can't know if they could win their lost spouses to Christ, and we know Scripture doesn't contradict itself, so First Peter couldn't be a promise of guaranteed salvation for unsaved spouses of saved spouses.

How do we explain all the godly spouses who have seen their unsaved spouses die yet lost? Or the ungodly spouses who see their godly spouses die before them and then they go on to die later yet lost?