• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reese Chronological Bible

• Members

If this exception can be made to the KJVO position (changing the order of verses for study only), then the person who simply looks at a more recent Bible translation as a commentary; but holds that the KJV is the only inspired and inerrant Word of God for English speaking people has the same legitimate claim of why they use a modern translation and that person should not be put down by those holding that the chronological bible is okay as a study Bible.

trc123... do you ever do a subject study where you jump from verse to verse all around your Bible? If so then you are doing the same thing... reading the Bible out of order. Are you not?

And again... I highly respect your love of the KJB. But personally, I don't think reading the Bible chronologically is doing any harm to the inspired and infallible text. I do not think there is any inspired order to read the text.

• Members

If context is one of the principle's of rightly dividing the word of truth, and if verse order matters for context then any rearranging of the verse order is equivalent to making changes and modifying things in a similar manner as some changes made in some of the modern translations.

I'm not trying to be a nudge and I respect your opinion (along many others here) very much. Also, my next statement is not meant for you holster as I don't believe you do this.......but, I find it hypocritical for a person holding to KJVO but makes an exception when it suits their preference (chronological bible) and then bashes and reprimands others who read other versions as a study aid for comparison and yet believe the KJV is the inspired verbal plenary Word of God. It just doesn't seem consistent and like I said, it seems hypocritical to me.

• Members

However one chooses to study the KJB, they are still studying the KJB. That's far different than using a MV which contains many differences and omissions.

No one here has stated a chronological Bible should be used as their regular KJB or as a replacement for their regular KJB. The use of the chronological Bible would be as a study aid.

• Members

If context is one of the principle's of rightly dividing the word of truth, and if verse order matters for context then any rearranging of the verse order is equivalent to making changes and modifying things in a similar manner as some changes made in some of the modern translations.

I'm not trying to be a nudge and I respect your opinion (along many others here) very much. Also, my next statement is not meant for you holster as I don't believe you do this.......but, I find it hypocritical for a person holding to KJVO but makes an exception when it suits their preference (chronological bible) and then bashes and reprimands others who read other versions as a study aid for comparison and yet believe the KJV is the inspired verbal plenary Word of God. It just doesn't seem consistent and like I said, it seems hypocritical to me.

I submit to you that using the Reese Chronological Bible to attempt any study in "context" would be impossible. The only thing the Reese could possibly be used for would be a chronological study. Any other study would simply be impossible using the Reese. I'm thinking maybe you haven't seen one, else you'd realize it couldn't be used reasonably for any other purpose.

Also... as said... I too, respect your views. We may disagree in some area's but we need to hold fast to our BIBLE. By the way... I don't get to that place where I bash or reprimand for ANY reason and on ANY topic. I prefer to use tact and wisdom from God.

For example, if someone is carrying an NIV I sometimes plan an "innocent" discussion showing someone this "neat" thing I have found in Acts Chapter 8. I launch into a discussion on Philip and the eunuch excitedly sharing what God has "showed" me about the incident. I then say "And verse 37 is incredible!, Read it." When they try to read it in their NIV it's not there. Then AT THEIR REQUEST I can explain the problem with all modern versions.

God has to convict the person on this (KJV) subject... I can't do anything myself. No amount of hostility to a non-KJV person will do any good.

• Members

I personally believe the order of the books, chapters and verses in the KJV are the way God wants them for a reason, which I won't get into here. At the same time, I see nothing wrong with seeking to read it in chronological order. I view it almost as a historical study of the scriptures as I read it.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

It is a great study Bible or resource. There is no difference between using that or reading the Bible yourself chronologically. I think that is useful to do at least once or so. I find it a blessing every couple of years to read the Gospels in order or the parallel passages together, same with 1&2 Samuel, Kings and Chronicles. This study Bible is useful in that regard, as well as seeing how the Psalms fit together in the life of David - realizing that this is Reese's opinion as to the order and timing of Biblical events.

My only problem is that this study Bible presents the Gap Theory in its first few pages, and therefore takes those other Bible passages out of context and Biblical order.

As far as Reese himself goes. He does have some good biographies, but he is also very ecumenical, portraying various heretics as true believers, as well as having biographies of certain people that solid Bible believers would choose to separate from (ie. because of their compromises, etc.), even if these people were in fact true believers themselves. But these problems are not seen in his study Bible.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I have a serious question here, doesn't changing the order of the scriptures violate it's integrity and therefore substantially change the very Word of God itself? It would seem to me that any person holding to KJVO position would have to repudiate doing this to the Bible in order to be consistent with their reasoning for being KJVO.

With total understanding of your concerns, it would seem any tampering with the order and placement of the Scriptures as we have them in the KJV would seem sacrilegious, or even border upon blasphemy. However, as we apply the laws of logic, truth and reality to this issue, we realize that when the original autographs were inspired and put into writing, they were done so without chapter and verse divisions. The original manuscripts also were void of the topical headings most editions of the KJV possess and were doubtless void of the references and cross references that have become so common in the more elite editions of the KJV in print today. That being said, we might also add the order and placement of the books of the Bible that we have come to know and accept as standard in KJV editions are likewise not inspired. It was only the content of the scrolls that was inspired by God. The order of the books as we have them were man made as was the chapter and verse divisions of each of those books. These works concerning the order of the books of the Bible and the addition of the chapter and verse additions were all created as editions to make the study, memorization and reference to the Scriptures more easy and clearer to understand. What Brother Reese has done has in no way tampered or in any way compromised the truth or the inerrancy of the of the holy writ any more than what was done by the early church fathers when they placed the books of the Bible in their categorical order and then inserted the chapter and verse divisions. He has simply taken the work of earlier scholars such as James Ussher who documented the chronology of the events recorded in the Scriptures with data and references that are no longer available for study. Mr. Ussher's work has been accepted as most accurate by a host of scholars of history who by philosophical nature view history from the Christian or honest and true perspective and that not tainted by philosophies more narrowly drawn from the perspective of atheist or agnostic who do not believe in the existence of a Supreme Being or an Intelligent Creator of all matter and life. Many of those historians who have accepted Mr. Ussher's work as reliable were not of the Christian persuasion or of the Jewish faith, but were men who saw history and its chronology as being congruent with the record of the Bible. The great value I have found in reading Brother Reese's work in the Reese Chronological Bible is the placement of the Word of the prophets, psalmists, our Lord and the apostles in the timeline of events as they happened. For example, it is most interesting to read Mr. Reese's placement of the Psalms of David in their chronological order with the events in the life of David. In many cases one would have thought David would have written words of praise during the events of success in his life, but more often than not, Mr. Reese, through his deep, thorough and most accurate research has these psalms placed during some of the darkest moments of David's experience. I have found the Reese Chronological Bible to be of tremendous value to me in my personal Bible Study, in the value of how the Lord dealt with David spiritually during these times has been of unfathomable worth to me in the encouragement and confidence I have in the Lord to speak, guide and encourage me through the times of trial and difficulty He in His providential wisdom has appointed me to experience. I challenge you simply to read and examine this work and see for yourself if it will not be a blessing to you in your relationship with the Lord. I suppose one reason we have so many various translations and versions of the Scriptures themselves on the market presently is due to the variety of personality and understanding of individuals. Personally, I trust the King James Version and the Greek text from which it was translated as being the preserved standard of the Word of God. I arrive at this conclusion for several different reasons. One is the character, the organizational structure of the translation project, and the spirituality and character of the translators themselves. Another is the text of original languages these translators used as their source from which to translate the Word of God into the English language, the Textus Receptus or the Received Text. Another is the historical blessing of anointing of God's Spirit upon this translation as compared with that of every other available translation. There are a host of scholars who will laugh until they hurt when they read this post, but my godly father taught me from childhood that "the proof was always in the pudding", and that any wise person will not argue with obvious success. I do possess copies of nearly every English translation of the Bible, including several paraphrased editions of the Bible. I do study these translations and paraphrases but always "in light of" the KJV as being the authoritative text. Each time I enter the pulpit and preach the message God has urged and unctioned me to deliver, I use the KJV as my primary text. I have found the Reese Chronological Bible to be an invaluable resource in sermon preparation in placing the Scriptures in a most proper perspective in time and events. I highly recommend it to you for your personal Bible Study and for your preparation for preaching or teaching if you are charged with such responsibilities. I met Brother Reese personally many, many years ago when I was a student at Hyles/Anderson College in Crown Point, Indiana, where he was a current member of the faculty at the time. I am almost certain he was in the process of compiling the edition of his chronological work at the time. I found him to be a most dedicated student of the Word of God and a most committed man of God to Jesus Christ, a man who displayed every day and every moment a close, unabated and intimate love relationship with Jesus Christ. He was a person of greatest integrity and character. I am persuaded to believe he performed this work out of his deeply abiding relationship with the Lord Jesus and that is precisely why the Lord has blessed it so much since its publication. The pundits will criticize this work, the skeptics will question it, and the authorities will probably continue to be jealous of its propagation, nevertheless, it's record stands, and has stood the test of time, just as the testimony and commitment to Christ of Brother Reese has stood the test of time. Perhaps this work is not meant for you, perhaps it is not meant for everyone, but only some. I would like to think of it that way. But in my reading of this volume in its entirety several times over, I have yet to find one place where I felt the editor was in error or where I would have disagreed with his placement of the Word of the Lord in any chronological setting. I could be wrong, I am far from being an authority on such matters, but I know this, I have listened to the arguments of several who are considered authorities or experts in this field, as they found items of disagreements with Brother Reese's placements of the Scriptures in various places of chronological point. After hearing their opinion, I was not persuaded in the very least to agree with their professional opinion, for the most they convinced me of was that from the beginning of his publication of this work they felt intimidated and challenged by it and thus set about to attempt to discredit it as much as they could. Again, I could be very wrong in my accessing of this work, but what I have posted tonight, I have posted with an honest heart that is without prejudice or prefixed agenda. May our dear Lord bless you, guide you and clarify your questions regarding this issue. .

• Members

Good points! I know in our adult Sunday school when we have done an overview of Scripture, as we have gone through the Old Testament, our pastor would often point out that a certain Psalm was written at that time and we would look to it. While reading another passage our pastor would point out that while this is going on in this book, what is in the book of Nehemiah (for example) is occuring at the same time and we look at that.

There can be great teaching and learning advantages when we see how the whole Bible fits together, when we take the smaller, scattered portions, put them together so we can see the big picture, and then look at how the smaller portions all fit together in making the whole.

I've still not read the Reese Chronological Bible, but if I ever get the chance to have such a Bible, I would like to spend a year reading and studying through it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I hope you really wanted the answer to your question - it took me about 10-15 minutes searching through my boxes of books in a dark room using my cell phone for a light to find my copy of the Reese Chronological Bible.

Reese places chapters 19-21 immediately after chapter 18 - but I see he has several other portions out of sequence. So basically:

Joshua 22; Judges 2:16-19; 3:5-10; Joshua 23-24:28; Judges 2:6-7; Joshua 24:29-31; Judges 2:8-9; Joshua 24:32;
Judges 1:1-19, 22-36; Judges 2:10-23; 3:1-4, 11-14; Joshua 24:33; Judges 3:15-30; Judges 17-21; Judges 3:31; 4:1-3;
then Ruth 1-4; Judges 4:4 on.