• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Spending the night over

• Members

I think it is especially unwise because of the intrensic bonding that happens between two bf / gf. Most will end up with creaslying blocks which will lead to marriage. If they are prepared for the altar of the church then they can; unless it is by a justice of the peace and only God knows.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I'm glad that the majority here see it as I do. Here's how I see it. You are boyfriend and girlfriend. That means that you are sexually attracted to each other. Yet, you have not married. Within Christianity, "married" is where the sensual/sexual part of your relationship may be morally acted out. Because you are not married you are morally obligated to make sure you do not give yourself the opportunity to sexually sin. Being with a boyfriend (or girlfriend) in the privacy of a house... especially all night....allows the temptation to turn into sin. In fact, if a couple has done this already, it would be difficult to believe they are not sexually active. They are playing with fire (morally). To allow this type of behavior to begin or continue outside marriage is mocking God. We are not to put ourselves in the way of temptation. Remember, He will not be mocked. If a couple finds the attraction between them to be so strong that they wish to maintain the relationship "all" night, then one must ask, why not be married? Self-restraint isn't easy, but there is no way to get around the teachings of the Bible concerning maintaining self-control. The reason a couple are not married apparently needs to be examined by them more closely. There is no reason for single men and women to stay over night together, even if they are mere friends. The neighbors may misunderstand. Christian's have the reputation of God in their choices..... A very serious responsibility.

Love,
Madeline

:goodpost:

• Members

As a note, one of my friends did this and he now has HIV - God's judgement. We are still praying for his healing but he is unaware.

He doesn't have HIV because he spent the night at someone's house. He has HIV because he had unprotected sex.

• Members

Which he probably wouldn't have done if he hadn't spent the night at someone's house...

Happy, I mean no disprespect but how on earth do you come to this conclusion? Applying that type of reasoning, you could say that a person "probably" would not have stole a loaf of bread if he would have never entered the bakery, which is true, but irrational. He did not steal because he was in the grocery store, he stole because his flesh lost the moral battle between not stealing and stealing.

It also assumes that people only have premarital sex at night (as if the night, as opposed to the day, has some magical power over people) when they spend the night together, which is as utterly false as it is absurd.

• Administrators

Happy, I mean no disprespect but how on earth do you come to this conclusion? Applying that type of reasoning, you could say that a person "probably" would not have stole a loaf of bread if he would have never entered the bakery, which is true, but irrational. He did not steal because he was in the grocery store, he stole because his flesh lost the moral battle between not stealing and stealing.

It also assumes that people only have premarital sex at night (as if the night, as opposed to the day, has some magical power over people) when they spend the night together, which is as utterly false as it is absurd.

Mayhap I should have said likely or maybe. It doesn't really matter. The statement which I bolded is truth...his flesh lost the moral battle because he was not taking heed and so he fell.

pt, I know that you mean no disrespect, and I don't either with this next statement: you have asserted that there are people who are morally strong enough to withstand lust, to the point where they can, without fear, spend the night together. And you have ridiculed the idea that, as Christians, we should be concerned with our testimony before others. My dear brother, the Bible is very clear that we are none of us strong enough to withstand sin for always - and that is the reason we are warned throughout scripture to avoid it...not to place ourselves in a position where we could succumb to temptation easily. And scripture is clear that we are to do nothing that could cause a stumbling block or reason of offense...which this could, whether we want to admit to it or not, or whether we want to call people judgmental or not.

My friend, when one believes that they are morally strong enough to avoid a sin which God repeatedly warns against throughout scripture, they are not taking heed...and they will fall. Will you? I sure hope and pray not.

Let me rephrase my original statement: if that young man were a virgin before he spent the night at with his g/f, he wouldn't have hiv (unless, of course, he got a tainted blood transfusion) had he not spent the night. Does that mean sin can't take place in the daytime? Of course not. It does, often. But there's something about the night that seems to weaken our defenses...

• Members

Mayhap I should have said likely or maybe. It doesn't really matter. The statement which I bolded is truth...his flesh lost the moral battle because he was not taking heed and so he fell.

pt, I know that you mean no disrespect, and I don't either with this next statement: you have asserted that there are people who are morally strong enough to withstand lust, to the point where they can, without fear, spend the night together. And you have ridiculed the idea that, as Christians, we should be concerned with our testimony before others. My dear brother, the Bible is very clear that we are none of us strong enough to withstand sin for always - and that is the reason we are warned throughout scripture to avoid it...not to place ourselves in a position where we could succumb to temptation easily. And scripture is clear that we are to do nothing that could cause a stumbling block or reason of offense...which this could, whether we want to admit to it or not, or whether we want to call people judgmental or not.

My friend, when one believes that they are morally strong enough to avoid a sin which God repeatedly warns against throughout scripture, they are not taking heed...and they will fall. Will you? I sure hope and pray not.

Let me rephrase my original statement: if that young man were a virgin before he spent the night at with his g/f, he wouldn't have hiv (unless, of course, he got a tainted blood transfusion) had he not spent the night. Does that mean sin can't take place in the daytime? Of course not. It does, often. But there's something about the night that seems to weaken our defenses...

Maybe I haven't been as clear as well. When I spend the night at my g/f's apartment, I never sleep in the same bed as her, or even in the same room. In most cases, I fall asleep in the floor watching t.v. I just don't see how spending the sleeping hours of the day under the same room with someone is more of a temptation than being with them during the hours we spend awake. In fact, it would seem that the opposite would be true, for surely I am not being "tempted" when I am not in her presence and am asleep. It would only be a stumbling block to other's if I were openly doing something wrong. If I were actually having premarital sex with her and were not ashamed of it and did it as if there were no sin involved, then it would be a stumbling block. I am not responsible for monitoring the false assumptions of nosey ignorant people. If that was each Christian's responsibility, we should never leave our house for fear of someone assuming we are doing something improper.

Let's say you believe that the comsumption of alcohol is a sin (I of course, do not, but that's beside the point). You also know that the local grocery store sells beer. Let's also assume that, for whatever reason, you have a predisposition to assume that everyone that goes into the grocery store will be tempted to buy beer. Is it the responsiblity of each possible patron of the grocery to 1) be conscious of your predispositon and 2) to even care.

• Members

Unmarried men and women shouldn't be spending time alone in a house together whether day or night.

Scripture is clear as to why unmarried men and women are not to be alone together. If someone chooses to ignore Scripture or "reason" around it, they are going to do so. This is called rebellion.

• Members

Unmarried men and women shouldn't be spending time alone in a house together whether day or night.

Scripture is clear as to why unmarried men and women are not to be alone together. If someone chooses to ignore Scripture or "reason" around it, they are going to do so. This is called rebellion.

Please show me the scripture that says that men and women are not to be alone together.

• Members

Please show me the scripture that says that men and women are not to be alone together.

You have accepted none of the Scripture posted, quoted, mentioned or the biblical principles cited already. You have rationalized that which you have chosen to respond to. If you are willing to rationalize it away why do you bother to ask?

You can't refute what's already been posted and you can't provide Scripture to support unmarried couples spending the night together.

• Members

I believe it comes down to the consent of the bf and gf. If they want to risk the exposure then that is between them and God. HIV comes from judgment without unprotection. My friend got it from using the toilet in his gf home that night. He should not have stayed.

• Members

I believe it comes down to the consent of the bf and gf. If they want to risk the exposure then that is between them and God. HIV comes from judgment without unprotection. My friend got it from using the toilet in his gf home that night. He should not have stayed.

Ultimately, all our sins are between us and God. Whether we consent to sin or not isn't the issue. Unless we consent to sin, we won't be doing that sin.

• Members

QUOTE: "Scripture is clear as to why unmarried men and women are not to be alone together."

What about unmarried men and animals? There could be temptation to any sin.

If one is sexually attracted to animals then they should not be alone with them.

Most people are not sexually attracted to animals and therefore there would be no risk of temptation in that area.

At the same time, most people are sexually attracted to members of the opposite sex and temptation is a major factor for them in this area.