• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can someone please explain to me why the KJV Bible is superior?

• Members

The "proof is in the pudding." The KJV has produced more fruit than all the other versions combined. All your great revivals have ended in America since the new version came out. Except for Sunday and Graham who both used KJVs. (We'll, Graham was quoted once as saying, "When I want results I use the KJV").

The men behind the translation. Though the may have not all been straight doctrinally they were some of the holiest and God-fearing men. And they were very, very intelligent. Many of your new versions were had unsaved reprobates and perverts TRANSLATING the bible. (Whatever may be said about King James, whether true or false, he DID NOT TRANSLATE the KJV).

The KJV is the only version that claims preservation and has supporters who claim it is pure and without error. You will not find this with any other English version that I know off.

Finally, though lazy Christians claim it is hard to READ it has been scientifically proven to be the easiest version to UNDERSTAND. There is something about the King's English that is very clear and to the point. The English launguage was at its best at this time in history.

• Members

The "proof is in the pudding." The KJV has produced more fruit than all the other versions combined. All your great revivals have ended in America since the new version came out. Except for Sunday and Graham who both used KJVs. (We'll, Graham was quoted once as saying, "When I want results I use the KJV").

The men behind the translation. Though the may have not all been straight doctrinally they were some of the holiest and God-fearing men. And they were very, very intelligent. Many of your new versions were had unsaved reprobates and perverts TRANSLATING the bible. (Whatever may be said about King James, whether true or false, he DID NOT TRANSLATE the KJV).

The KJV is the only version that claims preservation and has supporters who claim it is pure and without error. You will not find this with any other English version that I know off.

Finally, though lazy Christians claim it is hard to READ it has been scientifically proven to be the easiest version to UNDERSTAND. There is something about the King's English that is very clear and to the point. The English launguage was at its best at this time in history.

Sir,
Some of what you're saying seems to be a play on the "post hoc ergo propter hoc" logical fallacy; that is, "after this, therefore, because of this".
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

Sir,
Some of what you're saying seems to be a play on the "post hoc ergo propter hoc" logical fallacy; that is, "after this, therefore, because of this".
God bless,
Crushmaster.

What you just said doesn't make sense. It sounds BIG, but it doesn't make sense. The lady asked for LAYMENS terms, which you did not respond in, in why the KJV is superior ( I assumed she meant to all other ENGLISH versions). Going into mss or textual evidences is NOT LAYMENS terms. It's more of the same endless debating which doesn't edify. She asked why the KJV is superior and I gave her EMPIRICAL EVIDENCES which cannot be argued.

As Christ said, "by their fruits, ye shall know them."

• Members

Hi everyone. Could someone please explain to me in layman's terms why the KJV Bible is superior to modern versions?

Hi BB. Sure, because the King James Bible ALWAYS tells the Truth and is therefore a true witness. Those versions that do not always tell the truth but sometimes tell lies, are false witnesses and are therefore not the pure word of God. That's the short answer. Here is the longer one with concrete examples.

Seven Easy Ways
to tell the true Bible from the false ones
by Will Kinney
You don't need to be a scholar to tell which Bible is the true one. God never intended His words of truth to be known or understood only by the scholars. They don't agree among themselves as to which text to follow or how to render it in English once they agree as to the text - as it witnessed by the conflicting NAS, NIV and NKJV.

Jesus tells us "Beware of the scribes..." and in 1 Corinthians 1:19-20 "It is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this world? Hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?"

There is an easy way for every Christian to test the multitude of conflicting Bible versions flooding the market today. Are they a true or a false witness? Mark 14:56 tells us: "For many bare false witness against him, but their witness agreed not together."

In a court of law a false witness will sometimes or even usually tell the truth, but he betrays himself as a false witness by saying something either false, contradictory or absurd. So it is with the NKJV, NASB, NIV and all the other modern Bible versions competing for your money and your mind. So Christian friend, I ask you to sit for a little while in the jury box, listen to the testimonies, and determine which one is telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Example #1
W hat is your righteousness before a holy and just God? Is it your own works or the imputed righteousness of our precious Lord Jesus Christ?

The imputed righteousness of Christ is illustrated and clearly taught in the King James Bible of 1611. In the beginning, after Adam and Eve had sinned and hid themselves from God because they were naked, we are told in Genesis 3:21: "Unto Adam also and to is wife did the LORD God make coats of skin, and clothed them." An innocent animal was slain, and its coat was made a covering for the naked, guilty pair. God has to cover us; we cannot cover ourselves acceptably before Him.

Isaiah 61:10 beautifully expresses this truth: "I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness...as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels."

Zechariah 3:1-4 illustrates the same truth. Satan stood at the right hand of Joshua the high priest to resist him. The Lord rebuked Satan. The Bible tells us that: "Joshua was clothed with filthy garments." But God said: "Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment."

In Matthew 22 our Saviour gives us a parable about a wedding where the guests were bidden to the feast. But the king saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment. "And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless." Then the man was bound hand and foot and cast into outer darkness.

You and I have no righteousness of our own doing. "All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags" -Isaiah 64:6. But praise our God for his wonderful Son, Jesus Christ. "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Corinthians 5:21. "and be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith." Philippians 3:9.

All the preceding information was given to show the true doctrine so that the false teaching of the new versions will be seen more clearly.

Revelation 19:7-9 tells us again of the wedding feast. V.7 "the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white; FOR THE FINE LINEN IS THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF SAINTS."

This last phrase is consistent with the rest of Scripture that it is not our righteousness that makes us acceptable unto God, but the robe of the imputed righteousness of Christ. Versions that read just like the King James Bible are Tyndale's New Testament of 1534, Miles Coverdale 1535, the Bishop's Bible 1568, the Geneva Bible of 1599, Green

• Members

I have a clear, simple explanation that is both biblically logical, and scriptural, as to (and this is the tile of it) "Why I believe in the KJB". It is quite long, and I would like to post it on here somewhere, but it may have to be in several posts. It lays it out in "layman's" terms. Perhaps I will post it later. I already posted one called "Why I believe in eternal security" of the believer somewhere on this forum; it too was quite long--took 3 posts! That too was laid out in simple terms, as I am no scholar myself!

• Members

Here's something very simple: Though there are many versions, there are only two streams (paths) of origins. One stream produced the King James Bible. The other path produced all the other versions.

The KJV "path" were people who were Godly Christians, some even giving their life. The other "path" is a stream of people who do not believe the basics as taught in the Bible.

It's kinda like this... If you wanted a history of WWII would you trust a "stream" of writers who were there and saw it first hand, and understood what was at stake... Or would you trust a "stream" of writers who were anti-war writing from behind their desks never having even been there.

Well, the KJV came from people who understood and "had been there." ALL the others are written by the safe, "anti-war," "intellectual" type of writer who doesnt' believe in the war to begin with.

With all the techno stuff stripped aside... that's basically what it comes down to.

• Members

Hi everyone. Could someone please explain to me in layman's terms why the KJV Bible is superior to modern versions?

Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD [are] pure words: [as] silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Psa 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Psa 119:140 Thy word [is] very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.

Pro 30:5

• Members

Since God promised he would preserve his word, pure, and all the versions are not alike, only one can be the pure word of God. How many martyrs died for the bibles that come from the RCC manuscripts and how many died for the TR manuscripts? There is no comparison. Though some died with the RCC manuscripts in their posession, it was the Tyndales, Matthews, Coverdales, etc., who died a martys death so the (important here!) common man could have the bible in his language.

A few thoughts,
Bro. Ben

Amen Bro. Ben... Good stuff!

• Members

BaptistBaby, please brush aside all the KJVOs' claims & look at the STRAIGHT SKINNY.

The KJV is the best English version for memorization, because, not being in our everyday English, it stands out in our minds when we read it.

It is the best version with which to evangelize the elderly, as it was just about the only valid English version readily available before the 1950s, and is at least partly familiar to most seniors.

There are more copies of the KJV in existence than there are any other book ever printed in any language.

There are more "study helps" & concordances made for the KJV than there are for any other English version.

Bear in mind, however, that the KJV is not the ONLY valid English version in existence, nor is it actually "the greatest". But it might well be the best all-around English version for the above reasons.

And I DO recommend that every English-reading Bible student obtain a copy of the AV1611, the original KJV, complete with all the translators' marginal notes & extratextual material, for a broader understanding of God's word, to give the HOLY SPIRIT more to work with in our minds. Hendrickson Publishing makes a good repro, available at most Wal-Marts & Bible stores for about $28-$30 USA. 'Tis well worth that investment.

• Members

There are more copies of the KJV in existence than there are any other book ever printed in any language.

There are more "study helps" & concordances made for the KJV than there are for any other English version.

I've heard and read this often, many times by good IFB men that I mostly agree with. But I've never understood this "more copies" reason for the KJV being Gods Word in the English Language (and I believe it is!).

What do we say when the NIV or some other translation is more widely published and read? What do we do when more people know the NIV? Does that mean the NIV becomes the best?

By the way... I'm not sure your statement is true anymore anyway.....

And just to be clear... I'm challenging the particular argument, not the fact the the KJV is Gods Perfect Word. I AM a KJVO believer!

• Members

I've heard and read this often, many times by good IFB men that I mostly agree with. But I've never understood this "more copies" reason for the KJV being Gods Word in the English Language (and I believe it is!).

What do we say when the NIV or some other translation is more widely published and read? What do we do when more people know the NIV? Does that mean the NIV becomes the best?

By the way... I'm not sure your statement is true anymore anyway.....

And just to be clear... I'm challenging the particular argument, not the fact the the KJV is Gods Perfect Word. I AM a KJVO believer!

I have the same kind of concern when someone quotes the bit about all the people who died specifically for the KJV as being the reason it is God's Word. Plenty of people have died for numerous causes and the fact that they were willing to die for the cause, in itself, doesn't make the cause or the position they took truth/right!

• Members

Well, Holster, the KJV was unchallenged as the only widely-available English Bible version from C. 1644 until C. 1881. There were a bazillion copies printed in England, then in the USA, Canada, Australia, etc. and few people believed its minor goofs were enough to render it bogus. and I don't think it woulda gotten such widespread use and printings if it were not approved by GOD.

And now the NIV outsells it. But that's because, in the history of English, we see GOD has updated the translation of His word to include the changes in the language He has allowed/caused. Again, I believe this is GOD'S WILL, just as the prevalence of the KJV was. I believe we are tremendously blessed because we have both old and new translations of the Scriptures readily available.

And you have every right to challenge my statement. However, the vast number of family KJV Bibles, many being over a hundred years old, as well as countless copies parked in countless churches, schools, etc. give credence to the statement. And the KJV still sells briskly. And 4 outta every 5 study helps/concordances I see in book stores are for the KJV.

TRC123, more folx died in defense of other versions than they did the KJV. And Myles Coverdale was not one of them. He was the main translator of the GENEVA BIBLE, and had he still been alive in 1604, he woulda doubtlessly been on the AV translation committee. (He lived/died 1488/1569, from natural causes.)

Most of the martyrdoms of this nature occurred before the KJV was made. It was made with the approval of KJ 1 by a committee chosen by the State Church, of which the monarch of England is the titular head.

• Members

edited....
And now the NIV outsells it. But that's because, in the history of English, we see GOD has updated the translation of His word to include the changes in the language He has allowed/caused. Again, I believe this is GOD'S WILL, just as the prevalence of the KJV was. I believe we are tremendously blessed because we have both old and new translations of the Scriptures readily available.

Sorry, I don't follow you. I thought you were making a case for the KJV. Now you seem to uplifting the corrupt NIV. Am I mis-reading or not understanding something?

And you have every right to challenge my statement. However, the vast number of family KJV Bibles, many being over a hundred years old, as well as countless copies parked in countless churches, schools, etc. give credence to the statement. And the KJV still sells briskly. And 4 outta every 5 study helps/concordances I see in book stores are for the KJV.

I had a bookstore for a while and I can tell you that it is almost impossible to buy anything these days based on the KJV. Even older KJV stuff is being edited and revised for the new (per)versions. I've heard of bookstores that don't even carry the KJV anymore.

Again.. this is just from observation and everyday living. I have no hard and official statistics to give you though here's some info from Christian Booksellers Assoc.

Ranks based on Sales at Retail Christian Book Stores
1 Life Application Study Bible Revised (NIV) Zondervan
2 Study Bible (ESV) Crossway
3 Study Bible (KJV) Thomas Nelson
4 Personal Size Giant Print Reference Bible (KJV) Thomas Nelson
5 Life Application Study Bible Personal Size (NIV) Zondervan
6 Chronological Study Bible (NKJ) Thomas Nelson
7 Life Application Study Bible (NLT) Tyndale
8 Zondervan NIV Study Bible Updated (NIV) Zondervan
9 Reference Bible (KJV) Thomas Nelson
10 Giant Print Reference Bible Personal Size (KJV) Zondervan

• Members

Baptist baby asks:

I have read many of the answers to Baptist Baby's question, and many of them were good answers, but as I read, I too had to remind myself why the KJB is superior to all others, and I came to three answers that settle the matter for me, and I hope for others also.

1. The Lord puts the Word even above His name!
Look at Psa. 138:2 "I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name."

Jesus' name is "...called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." And the Word of God is magnified even above His name.

2. Reason no. 2 is much more complicated, but much more exciting:
Jesus, as we know, is the WORD in the flesh; we cannot find fault in Him (and many have no doubt tried); if we could find fault in Him, we could also find fault in his Word, because He is the Word; on the other hand, if we find fault in His Word, we fault Him too, because He is the Word. The Word has to be perfect. We have already established that all those other versions are not faultless; doesn't it stand to reason the if Jesus is the (very precious) Word, that the Lord would preserve the perfection of it, lest he mar the character and being of Jesus? of course. God HAS preserved His Word in the "authorized" version, the KJB.

3. reason no. 3 is similar
1 Peter 1:23 the "incorruptible Seed" is the Word of God. There is, and can be only one "incorruptible seed" in the flesh, and we know that to be Jesus. There can aslo be only one incorruptible seed in the spirit, and we know that to be the Bible. Which one? The incorruptible one; the one in which there is no error, but the only accusation they have against it is that the words are "archaic" and hard to read. Is that corruption? By no means.

These are three valid reasons for the superiority of the KJB, and they are without reproach.