• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Micheal Jackson dies

• Members

Meanwhile, the soldiers who have died in the new Afghan offensive have received little to no media coverage. Seven died and were brought home and where was the media?

Priorities of folks are way out of whack.

We should not be so caught up in the world that the death of a celebrity affects us greatly.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I seen on CNN something big yesterday in AFGan about soldier killed. However, everyone is getting overwhelmed. Last night on AOL I signed on and see an article about Liz Taylor linked to Michaels Drug addiction. I don't know If I should believe that junk there. I wish the family can solve things in private without prying into thier buisness. Also the media is upset that they won't display where they will bury Michael. I was like it's not our buisness where he is buried.

• Members

Meanwhile, the soldiers who have died in the new Afghan offensive have received little to no media coverage. Seven died and were brought home and where was the media?

Priorities of folks are way out of whack.

We should not be so caught up in the world that the death of a celebrity affects us greatly.

I think you are confused about the media's purpose and goal. It (the media in general) is in business for one thing: MONEY. They make money by selling add space, whether in the form of t.v. commercials or printed ads. In order to be successfull, its has to give the readers/watchers a reason to read/watch. Therefore, it reports what statistics and results show that the reading/viewing public are interested in. It doesn't owe us some duty to report what we think should be reported, or to give equal reporting to two separate events. If more people are interested in the death of a cultural icon than in the death of a soldier, then it has every right to focus more attention on the icon. Right and wrong is irrelelvant. And I agree with most people. As sad as it is when anyone dies, it is much sadder when a soldier dies in the service of his country. I don't want to be reminded of that constantly and I turn the channell when the news gets more indept than just reporting how many soldiers were killed and where. Although i haven't really watched the MJ coverage, I would rather see it than the mothers and fathers of these fallen soldiers having to go through the grieving process the same way MJ's family is- in the spot light with no privacy.

• Administrators

pt - to a point you are accurate about soldiers' families and their grieving. But it was actually the mother of a soldier who died the same day MJ did that brought out the fact that there was no coverage of him, but wall-to-wall MJ.

I know soldiers' moms who have been happy that their child's life has been documented in print - it seems to be part of the closure they need to accept the death. One family (whom I have known for many years - in fact, babysat the soldier when he and his siblings were younger) not only had a lot of publicity, but the dad wrote a book about his son, and Bob Jones' traveling drama team did a drama about him, going across the country for a year telling his story. Granted, he was a Christian, so this was a way of getting the gospel out, but still - it really helped in their grieving. It's been 4 years since he was killed - he died a hero, giving his life so that all of the others with him would live - and they still miss him, but there has been good results of the publicity.

I'm not saying it's true in every case - but I know in my own, if my son were to die in battle, I would want the public to know that my son was a hero and died for his country.

As far as MJ goes, tonight is the Gary memorial. The front page of the Post Trib is about it, and I'm sure tomorrow's paper will cover the memorial. I will be glad when it's over.

• Members

While I admit Jackson's life and death is extremely facinating, I believe the obsession I've seen over this is unhealthy. I understand how people get sucked into to the obsession, and to be honest, I've had to fight the urge myself.

I do not believe it is healthy to obsess over all of these details. Turn your television off. Stop checking news sites for infomration on his death. Just turn it off.

I think we need to focus on positive things in our own lives. How can we live and change our community? How does our local community need our help? HOw can we improve the world? What can we do for our neighbors? These are the things we need to spend our time on.

I would propose turning off the television, quit thinking about Jackson, and do something positive for someone around you. I've conlcuded that is what I need to do. :)

• Administrators

While I admit Jackson's life and death is extremely facinating, I believe the obsession I've seen over this is unhealthy. I understand how people get sucked into to the obsession, and to be honest, I've had to fight the urge myself.

I do not believe it is healthy to obsess over all of these details. Turn your television off. Stop checking news sites for infomration on his death. Just turn it off.

I think we need to focus on positive things in our own lives. How can we live and change our community? How does our local community need our help? HOw can we improve the world? What can we do for our neighbors? These are the things we need to spend our time on.

I would propose turning off the television, quit thinking about Jackson, and do something positive for someone around you. I've conlcuded that is what I need to do. :)
:goodpost: