• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

'Charlie's Angel' Farrah Fawcett dies at 62

• Members

It's sad when people proclaim the lost dead are "with God" or "in heaven" or "with the angels" or "in a better place" and such statements.

Throughout her fight with cancer she had time to turn to Christ but by all indications she did not. Those close to her could have tried to bring her to Christ, but it seems they didn't.

Now even in death she is losing as the death of MJ is overshadowing her death.

• Members

It's sad when people proclaim the lost dead are "with God" or "in heaven" or "with the angels" or "in a better place" and such statements.

Throughout her fight with cancer she had time to turn to Christ but by all indications she did not. Those close to her could have tried to bring her to Christ, but it seems they didn't.

Now even in death she is losing as the death of MJ is overshadowing her death.

I think that her later years indicate that she was indeed a Christian. Even in the above quoted article, she indicates that she believes that only God can save her from her disease. If that's not faith, I don't know what is.

The way people have responded to the death of Ms. Fawcet and Mr. Jackson on this board, I must ask: What kind of people to do you expect to see in heaven? Do you truely believe there will be no sinners? That everyone there will be someone you know who publically professed the same beliefs and ideas as you?

Even assuming neither of these celebrities (both of whom expressed love, hope, faith and charity) were not Christians during the majority of their lives, how do you know that the second before they took their last breath, they didn't accpect Christ as their Lord and Saviour? Or how do you know that as a small child, before their celebrity/public status, they didn't walk the isle one Sunday morning in an old country church and accpet Christ (I know it is hard to imagine, but there are parts of these peoples lives which we don't know about, which weren't caught on camera or published in a magazine)? You don't know. And that's why you should save your judgments for yourself.

• Members

Why must people claim they know that someone is "lost" or "saved" when they have never met the person?

THat is between them and God. None of us have no idea what went on in her personal life, and cannot claim to know whether she was "lost" or "saved."

• Members

Lost folks around the world daily call out to "God" or proclaim some "faith" in "God" or speak of "God" but they are not born again believers.

Scripture is clear there is only one way to heaven and few will take it.

How do you know what her beliefs were. Do you know her? Have you ever talked with her about this?

What we see in the media is merely show and entertainment. Who she was as a person is really only known by those who know her.

I don't see how anyone can judge her salvation but God.

• Administrators

The Bible does say that we'll know people by their fruits. And Farrah's fruit was not godly. Her trademark in tv was her sensuality, which she played up. But...

That isn't to say that she was never saved. Perhaps she was, as was mentioned, we won't know until we get to Heaven. I do know that her co-star Jaclyn Smith is saved, so mayhap Jaclyn was able to witness to her, who knows.

We cannot say definitively that she was not saved. We can say, however, that, if she was, she wasn't a good testimony. Much of her life was in direct opposition to God's Word.

Still, I am sorry that she had to die the way she did. I always thought she was a beautiful woman. Her smile could light up a room! I know she was an actress, so maybe the smile wasn't genuine - but it was still beautiful.

• Members

You are right Happy, we know others by their fruits. But think about this for a minute. The only things you know about Ms. Fawcett and Mr. Jackson are what the media have told you. What you've seen on screen, camera or in print. That's it. However, you have also seen how much charitable Mr. Jackson has been. You chose to make your judgment based on the "bad" things you know about these people, rather than the "good" things.

Point is, we ALL have produced both bad and good, fruit. When a lustful camera follows you around constantly, it's usually only the bad fruit that people see. I have stolen. I have lied. But I have also loved, witnessed and stood up for my faith in the face of laughter. I hope the people who know me judge me by the latter. Those that don't know me, may that judge at their own risk.

• Administrators

You are right Happy, we know others by their fruits. But think about this for a minute. The only things you know about Ms. Fawcett and Mr. Jackson are what the media have told you. What you've seen on screen, camera or in print. That's it. However, you have also seen how much charitable Mr. Jackson has been. You chose to make your judgment based on the "bad" things you know about these people, rather than the "good" things.

Point is, we ALL have produced both bad and good, fruit. When a lustful camera follows you around constantly, it's usually only the bad fruit that people see. I have stolen. I have lied. But I have also loved, witnessed and stood up for my faith in the face of laughter. I hope the people who know me judge me by the latter. Those that don't know me, may that judge at their own risk.

I have chosen to make my judgment? What judgment did I make? I said we couldn't be sure she wasn't saved...and as far as the media pointing out only the bad - she made some really bad life decisions. The media had nothing to do with her choices.

I also have sinned. But I haven't attempted to become a celebrity, either. Yes, we know them only by what is presented to us...and if she was a rock solid Christian, who would witness and stand up for her faith in the face of laughter, as you have done: the media would have informed us of that. In fact, had she ever claimed Christianity, it would have been made known, just as all the stars who claim Christianity make it known.

It's a fact, pt, not just my judgment, that she wasn't a good testimony, if she was saved. That's not a judgment call. It's just the way it is.

(my thoughts on MJ are in the other thread...but his charitable acts do not outweigh his other actions...we aren't judged in Heaven by a set of scales!)

• Members

I have chosen to make my judgment? What judgment did I make? I said we couldn't be sure she wasn't saved...and as far as the media pointing out only the bad - she made some really bad life decisions. The media had nothing to do with her choices.

I also have sinned. But I haven't attempted to become a celebrity, either. Yes, we know them only by what is presented to us...and if she was a rock solid Christian, who would witness and stand up for her faith in the face of laughter, as you have done: the media would have informed us of that. In fact, had she ever claimed Christianity, it would have been made known, just as all the stars who claim Christianity make it known.

It's a fact, pt, not just my judgment, that she wasn't a good testimony, if she was saved. That's not a judgment call. It's just the way it is.

(my thoughts on MJ are in the other thread...but his charitable acts do not outweigh his other actions...we aren't judged in Heaven by a set of scales!)

We aren't judged in heaven by our fruits at all, but by our faith. I (and I thought "we") were talking about how humans should see/judged one another.

• Administrators

We aren't judged in heaven by our fruits at all, but by our faith. I (and I thought "we") were talking about how humans should see/judged one another.

"We" are - but I don't look at people's charitable giving and eradicate their wickedness because of it. Many years ago, a friend of mine had the opportunity to speak with Bob Hope. Now, Bob Hope did a lot of good things - his life wasn't so great, by his own words. But...this friend of mine was at the golf course in the town where we lived, and so was Hope.

He went up to Hope, and asked him if he would read the tract he wanted to give him, which would show him what the Bible says about how to go to Heaven. Simple, non-intrusive and not trying to take up his time. Hope turned to the man and asked him if he'd ever given a million dollars to charity, like Hope had. The man had never and has never since had a million, so of course he said no. Hope then turned to walk away and told him that, when he did, he could come talk to Hope about Heaven. Show business people tend to believe that they can buy their way into Heaven. And that's not a judgment based on what's written about them - that's from listening to what they say themselves.

The Bible tells us to judge righteous judgments. And it tells us that we are known by our fruits, by our actions (even a child is known by his doings, whether they be good or bad). Celebrities like paprazzi to expose them - they get more publicity that way. I'm not saying that Farrah was this rotten to the core person - but the personna she projected to the media, and thus to all of us, was not a righteous one.

• Members

"We" are - but I don't look at people's charitable giving and eradicate their wickedness because of it. Many years ago, a friend of mine had the opportunity to speak with Bob Hope. Now, Bob Hope did a lot of good things - his life wasn't so great, by his own words. But...this friend of mine was at the golf course in the town where we lived, and so was Hope.

He went up to Hope, and asked him if he would read the tract he wanted to give him, which would show him what the Bible says about how to go to Heaven. Simple, non-intrusive and not trying to take up his time. Hope turned to the man and asked him if he'd ever given a million dollars to charity, like Hope had. The man had never and has never since had a million, so of course he said no. Hope then turned to walk away and told him that, when he did, he could come talk to Hope about Heaven. Show business people tend to believe that they can buy their way into Heaven. And that's not a judgment based on what's written about them - that's from listening to what they say themselves.

The Bible tells us to judge righteous judgments. And it tells us that we are known by our fruits, by our actions (even a child is known by his doings, whether they be good or bad). Celebrities like paprazzi to expose them - they get more publicity that way. I'm not saying that Farrah was this rotten to the core person - but the personna she projected to the media, and thus to all of us, was not a righteous one.

I guess I just don't really know enough about Ms. Fawcett to make a judgment either way (I'm in my late 20's, a little past her prime). I pray that she is in heaven.

As far as Bob Hope, I might have had the same reaction. If you can look at it from his perspective, please consider this: What if Mr. Hope assumed that the person presenting him with the tract thought that he was not a Christian and thus in need of the tract. Faith, hope, love and charity are the marks of a Christian. So Hope, offended by the persons unsupported assumption, points out one of his charitable contributions (keep in mind that its hard to "point out" faith, hope and love) to rebuff the person who had mistakenly took him as a non-Christian. He just as easily could have meant, "I give those amounts of money BECAUSE I'm a Christian." People are always so quick to assume the negative about others.

I lost my temper a few weeks ago at a hearing and chastised one of my contemporaries. I know that others overheard me. Although I later apologized to her and asked for her forgiveness, I wonder if those who witnessed me hovering over her with my finger in her face made the judgment that such an irate young man must be going to hell? I surely hope not.

• Administrators

Well, pt, what we do that others see does indeed tell them a lot about us. You are too young to remember Farrah's red swimming suit picture (unless you read about it). It was 1976, and she chose the one she wanted made into a poster...and it was not in any way, shape or form modest. I know we've had discussions as to bathing suit appropriateness, and we don't see eye to eye. This is not even about that. It is about private body parts that she allowed to show - on the picture she chose. That isn't media representation. That was Farrah. She was "sexy" and she knew it - and she played it to the hilt.

You know, you are right that Christians are supposed to show love, faith and charity. And we sometimes fail. But, really, pt - if Hope were a Christian, why in the world would he be offended that someone wanted to give him a tract? If it were me, I'd let them know I was a Christian, and thank them for taking the time to talk to me - and encourage them to continue sharing the gospel!!! Hope made it clear in many of his stand-up routines that he hated God - I knew some people who got up and walked out of a show because of what he was saying...and he mocked them all the way out the door. No, I don't believe he was saved. And I'm basing that on words out his own vile mouth.

• Members

Well, pt, what we do that others see does indeed tell them a lot about us. You are too young to remember Farrah's red swimming suit picture (unless you read about it). It was 1976, and she chose the one she wanted made into a poster...and it was not in any way, shape or form modest. I know we've had discussions as to bathing suit appropriateness, and we don't see eye to eye. This is not even about that. It is about private body parts that she allowed to show - on the picture she chose. That isn't media representation. That was Farrah. She was "sexy" and she knew it - and she played it to the hilt.

You know, you are right that Christians are supposed to show love, faith and charity. And we sometimes fail. But, really, pt - if Hope were a Christian, why in the world would he be offended that someone wanted to give him a tract? If it were me, I'd let them know I was a Christian, and thank them for taking the time to talk to me - and encourage them to continue sharing the gospel!!! Hope made it clear in many of his stand-up routines that he hated God - I knew some people who got up and walked out of a show because of what he was saying...and he mocked them all the way out the door. No, I don't believe he was saved. And I'm basing that on words out his own vile mouth.

I have never heard him say anything like that (not saying that he hasn't, just that it's news to me). I don't do tracts. I don't accpet them nor do I hand them out. If I found one that I found effective, honest and tasteful, I might change my mind. Most of them that I have seen are either wholly inaccurate or leave the reader with a simplistic view of God and salvation which is niether complete or effective. If they lead someone to salvation, that's great. But I'm not going to take the chance that I have lead to someone having a false sense of security when their salvation is on the line.