• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Marriage

• Members

We know the devil hates marriage and attacks this institute of God continually. Lately there seems to be a lot of cases of troubled marriages making the news; not to mention the number of local marriage problems around the country.

In many of these cases infidelity is involved. Adultry doesn't "just happen" regardless of how many claim this to be the case.

We know Christians are not immune to marriage problems, including adultry.

What do you do to make sure you are safe from this?

What do you do to help make sure your spouse is safe from this?

This is something we should consider specifically from time to time, as well as something to take care of daily. Too often Christians think that it can't happen to them. Then it does.

If anyone cares to, let's talk about how we guard our hearts and our spouses; how we protect our marriages, how we detect dangers and how we deal with them, and anything that helps us build and/or maintain solid, holy marriages.

• Administrators

My hubby and I try to always stay in a right relationship with each other. In other words, if we get upset with each other, we always try and make it right asap.

We don't argue about finances - that is a major problem with a lot of couples. We don't always agree about $$, but my hubby always makes the final decision, and I respect it, whether or not I agree.

My hubby also has laid down strict guidelines as to what we allow to enter our eyes. We do not watch things that have "love scenes" in them, nor do we read that type of thing.

We have friends of the opposite sex, but we do not get chummy with them. Usually we fellowship with both husband and wife.

The most important thing, though, is to make sure our relationship with the Lord is what it should be. If it isn't, then any and all sins can creep in and cause major problems.

• Administrators

Be proactive. Don't get married at all. That is what the Bible suggest, isn't it?

No, not really. God instituted marriage, saying it wasn't good for man to be alone. Paul mentioned that it might be good to stay unmarried to serve the Lord better - but then said it's better to marry than burn.

• Administrators

St. Paul didn't say "might be good," he said it is good for a man not to marry. I believe its 1 Cor. 7.

And GOD said in Genesis it wasn't good for man to be alone.

1 Cor 7 clearly spells out that it is fine to marry. God also had Paul write to Timothy:
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
Forbidding to marry...

Somehow, I don't think 1 Cor 7 as far as not marrying was a commandment...oh, maybe I get that from Paul saying that he wasn't speaking by commandment...?

• Members

I don't believe there is any prohibition on marriage. I do believe that it is good for man to not be married, if he can control his passion. In other words, its best to remain single, but if you cannot control your lust, then you should marry.

• Members

I've made it a point that not a day goes by without my wife hearing me tell her I love her...typically, she hears this several times a day. I don't leave the house without saying this either and if she's going somewhere I tell her before she leaves.

We don't go "out on the town" with friends, we don't hang out with those of the opposite sex.

I avoid situations where I might be alone with any other woman (other than family).

Each year, I read again from Scripture how a husband is to be. I typically read at least one Christian book each year dealing with the subject of marriage/husbands.

Prayer is important in this as well. I pray for the Lord's blessing upon our marriage and relationship; that He would work in both our hearts and minds that we may truly love one another, care for one another and be faithful to one another and our marriage. I also pray for a hedge of protection around our marriage.

It's ever so important to remember our own walk with the Lord. As LuAnne so rightly pointed out, if we are not walking in Christ then the door is open to all sorts of problems.

Also of importance is our attending church and adult Sunday school together.

• Members

I've made it a point that not a day goes by without my wife hearing me tell her I love her...typically, she hears this several times a day. I don't leave the house without saying this either and if she's going somewhere I tell her before she leaves.

We don't go "out on the town" with friends, we don't hang out with those of the opposite sex.

I avoid situations where I might be alone with any other woman (other than family).

Each year, I read again from Scripture how a husband is to be. I typically read at least one Christian book each year dealing with the subject of marriage/husbands.

Prayer is important in this as well. I pray for the Lord's blessing upon our marriage and relationship; that He would work in both our hearts and minds that we may truly love one another, care for one another and be faithful to one another and our marriage. I also pray for a hedge of protection around our marriage.

It's ever so important to remember our own walk with the Lord. As LuAnne so rightly pointed out, if we are not walking in Christ then the door is open to all sorts of problems.

Also of importance is our attending church and adult Sunday school together.

Very Well Said......couldn't agree with you more! I'll add another thought......and this goes along with not hanging out with the opposite sex.....avoid emailing the opposite sex on a friendly type basis. How many times do you hear, "it started out so innocently".

• Members

#1 (God first) Keep your relationship with the Lord as your primary concern.

#2 (Spouse second) Keep the relationship with your husband or wife Biblical.

#3 (Proper diet third) Read and study the Bible and pray confessing your sins to frequently. [3 squares a day]

#4 (Proper relationships fourth) Keep friends and acquaintances of the opposite sex on the other side of your husband or wife. [keep the squares away]

#1, #2, and #3 are most important but have always proven hard to follow.

• Members

The point in the above post regarding keeping spouse second reminded me of a major problem I've seen afflict marriages.

I've seen and read about a great deal of turmoil caused by one or both spouses putting their children in second, or even first place. While it may sound noble to "put the children first" or "think of my children before I think of my spouse", the truth is that's unbiblical and a recipe for disaster.

Couples need to cheerish their marriage and relationship and treat it as the lifetime committment it's meant to be. Too many couples place one or more of their children ahead of their spouse or they allow one or more of their children to manipulate themselves between them and their spouse.

It's sad how many families are pulled apart in this manner.

• Members

We know the devil hates marriage and attacks this institute of God continually. Lately there seems to be a lot of cases of troubled marriages making the news; not to mention the number of local marriage problems around the country.

In many of these cases infidelity is involved. Adultry doesn't "just happen" regardless of how many claim this to be the case.

We know Christians are not immune to marriage problems, including adultry.

What do you do to make sure you are safe from this?

What do you do to help make sure your spouse is safe from this?

This is something we should consider specifically from time to time, as well as something to take care of daily. Too often Christians think that it can't happen to them. Then it does.

If anyone cares to, let's talk about how we guard our hearts and our spouses; how we protect our marriages, how we detect dangers and how we deal with them, and anything that helps us build and/or maintain solid, holy marriages.

You're right! Adultery doesn't "just happen." And, this statement is also right, "...Christians are not immune to marriage problems, including adultery." There are many reasons marriages fail besides acting out the sin of adultery. My view is that adultery is a result of a failed marriage, not a direct cause of marriage failure. Sadly, I've seen this in my church many, many times from those who I am friends with. I know, some Christians would find that idea unacceptable, but I'm convinced no person commits adultery if he/she is truly in love with his/her spouse. Adultery hurts. It is so injurious to any concept of an "intimate relationship" that most people never get over it. It is a overt statement that the marriage is dead. We don't risk hurting people we love. So, I can't see it an act of "accident" or "seduction" or any other cause except the marriage the person is legally bound by, has already ceased to be. What can one do to maintain marriage? I would say never deliberately hurt the one you love. You don't see the opposite sex alone... ever (except maybe in a doctor's office and some won't allow that). You don