• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Prayer and the Appearance of Evil

• Members

We've discussed this issue before in one manner or another but I do believe it's something that seriously needs addressing.

Thankfully Bro Matt has provided us a Prayer Forum here at OB. Scripture tells us to share our burdens with one another and to pray for one another.

When one looks in the Prayer Forum (whether members of onlookers) it becomes obvious that many prayer requests receive exceedingly few responses. Whether it's true or not that only a very few are praying, that gives the appearance of evil in that it looks as if hardly anyone is bothering to pray for these requests.

I know some say they pray but don't respond (and I'm not questioning their statement) but in previous threads on this topic many have pointed out that without responses they feel as if no one cares. Surely, if we have time to say a prayer we have time to hit reply and say we are praying or at least click on the prayer avatar so our brothers and sisters in Christ will KNOW we are praying for them and receive the encouragement that comes from knowing that.

One would think on a board like this with so many born again Christians that the Prayer Forum would be filled with prayer requests and many responses to each one.

What kind of a testimony are we sending to our brothers and sisters in Christ and to those who may be lurking or checking out this site, when we appear to not bother to pray for the prayer requests put forth?

Truly, it breaks my heart to see someone put forth a prayer request and only receive one or two or maybe three replies.

We are to bear one anothers burdens and lift one another up. One way to do this is through prayer and letting others know we are praying for them.

Please, I encourage everyone to take the time to read the prayer requests, pray accordingly and to at least post a prayer avatar so our brothers and sisters in Christ may be encouraged and lifted up and so we clearly show ourselves as caring, praying Christians.

• Members

:goodpost:

I personally try to pray for those that I remember, but honestly only remember the ones that I can personally relate to or that have really touched my heart. I would be lying if I said that I pray for every request that is posted specifically as I should, but my memory often fails me. I do agree with you though, John. At least for me personally, I need to spend more time in the prayer request forum and take time each time I log on to go there first and pray for these people and situations before I start posting replys or new threads. Thanks for having the confidence to rebuke your brethren and encourage us to prayer. It is a most important tool for survival in this world and I know that I covet each of all of your prayers for my requests and should be praying for others more as I would love to be prayed for. Again, thanks John. I've been found guilty and ask you to pray for me that I will make it a point to do as I said and visit the prayer request forum FIRST THING when I log on.

God Bless,

Futurehope

• Members
We've discussed this issue before in one manner or another but I do believe it's something that seriously needs addressing.

Thankfully Bro Matt has provided us a Prayer Forum here at OB. Scripture tells us to share our burdens with one another and to pray for one another.

When one looks in the Prayer Forum (whether members of onlookers) it becomes obvious that many prayer requests receive exceedingly few responses. Whether it's true or not that only a very few are praying, that gives the appearance of evil in that it looks as if hardly anyone is bothering to pray for these requests.

I know some say they pray but don't respond (and I'm not questioning their statement) but in previous threads on this topic many have pointed out that without responses they feel as if no one cares. Surely, if we have time to say a prayer we have time to hit reply and say we are praying or at least click on the prayer avatar so our brothers and sisters in Christ will KNOW we are praying for them and receive the encouragement that comes from knowing that.

One would think on a board like this with so many born again Christians that the Prayer Forum would be filled with prayer requests and many responses to each one.

What kind of a testimony are we sending to our brothers and sisters in Christ and to those who may be lurking or checking out this site, when we appear to not bother to pray for the prayer requests put forth?

Truly, it breaks my heart to see someone put forth a prayer request and only receive one or two or maybe three replies.

We are to bear one anothers burdens and lift one another up. One way to do this is through prayer and letting others know we are praying for them.

Please, I encourage everyone to take the time to read the prayer requests, pray accordingly and to at least post a prayer avatar so our brothers and sisters in Christ may be encouraged and lifted up and so we clearly show ourselves as caring, praying Christians.

Is there another step that could be taken to help in this ministry toward one another? Ideas?

• Members

Only two replies :sad

I'm thankful for and humbled by your words futurehope. When I read the prayer requests I pause and say a prayer then and there. During regular prayer times I try to recall prayer requests made here and bring them to the Lord again. Like all of us, I'm not perfect either and do fail to recall some requests during my regular prayer times; which is one of the reasons I take the time to pray immediately after reading the request.

1Tim115, I'm not sure as to what your question means. Do you mean is there more we can do than just pray or are you asking is there some other way to get people to pray, or something else? In any event, thank you for your response.

• Members

Sometimes I don't know what else to say except to say Praying for you.

I would love for brother matt to add a prayer button to let them know I'm praying for them (after opening the post that is, it would not be right to click on it if I haven't read it) . I like the icon right there available for me instead of doing 3 steps just to put an icon down. 1 step, open...loading.. read. Step 2 ... click reply...loading..click the icon or type. Step 3... click submit... loading... click "back"...loading and do those steps all over again.

• Members

How does one manage to pray for the vast number of people that need prayer each day? I know we should all pray more, but often times when I try and go through lists of people that need prayer, I find that even praying 24/7 isn't close to enough time. Are there any posts/websites/places that we could point each other to help people with the actual "doing" of prayer? How do we make sure our prayer time is the most effective possible?

• Members

I do a quick prayer for each posts.

I don't think God minds if I do. A quick prayer is better than no prayers. But when someone is having extremely difficult time, I take it to one of my nightly prayer so I have time to focus on it (I can't remember everyone so that's why I do a quick prayer for each post).

• Members

I'm thankful for and humbled by your words futurehope. When I read the prayer requests I pause and say a prayer then and there. During regular prayer times I try to recall prayer requests made here and bring them to the Lord again. Like all of us, I'm not perfect either and do fail to recall some requests during my regular prayer times; which is one of the reasons I take the time to pray immediately after reading the request.

1Tim115, I'm not sure as to what your question means. Do you mean is there more we can do than just pray or are you asking is there some other way to get people to pray, or something else? In any event, thank you for your response.

This is exactly what I do, John. If I added every request I hear to my prayer list, I'd never get to anything else in my day. I count on the Lord, though......many times people will come to my mind who need prayer during the day when I'm busy doing dishes or something strange like that.....when that happens, I say a quick prayer for them right then and there. I don't think the Lord minds quick prayers, as long as they are sincere. I don't always respond to prayer requests, either, but we really should, as this keeps them up near the top of the page so that others do not miss the request. Thanks for the reminder, John. :thumb

(I love that feature Bro. Matt has where you can just scroll over the topic and read the opening post without clicking on the thread, though--so neat!!)

• Administrators

I didn't respond yesterday 'cause I was at home, sick. I don't always respond to the requests; one main reason for that is that I don't always see them. I do, however, just like you, John, pray for them immediately. And when someone else responds to the thread and brings it to the top, it brings it to my mind again to pray for. And many times, as I am lying in bed at night and unable to go to sleep, the Lord brings the requests to my mind and I pray then.

• Members

Good post LuAnne.

I appreciate the replies of all.

There are typically not that many new prayer requests added to the Prayer Forum on any given day. Most often it would only take a matter of minutes to read and pray for each new prayer request AND to click reply, click on the prayer smilie and click submit.

We all need prayer and we could all use the encouragement and comfort that comes from knowing others are taking our prayer needs before the Lord as well.

• Members

I'm working on a site that will help in this area, but I now have to set it aside to work on other projects. The demo page is at http://somebody.needsyourprayers.com/. I'm only a few days away from completing it, so once my immediate workload subsides I may be able to finish it. The basic "How To" goes...

To Request Prayer...

Requesting prayer is as easy as joining, then filling out the request form. Your request will be listed and our Prayer Warriors will "subscribe" to that request. When they subscribe they'll be emailed a list of those requests each day to remind them, and they'll then have an opportunity to note that they've prayed. You can check back each day to see how many people have prayed for your request. Requests may only last a specified time, a maximum of 2 weeks or shorter if you want. You can renew the request when it expires if you want, but please post a response, so those praying will know if it's been answered.

To Pray for others...

After joining and logging in, you'll need to browse through the requests using the sort criteria or a search. Once you've found a request you will "subscribe" to it by adding it to your list. Each day your list will be emailed to you. There will be a form which you can check off the requests as you pray for them, and submit the form so those making the request can know someone has prayed for them. As requests expire they will be removed from your list. It's a good idea to decide how many requests you can pray for each day and keep that number in your list. You may also include personal reminders in your prayer list to pray for.

• Members
I'm working on a site that will help in this area, but I now have to set it aside to work on other projects. The demo page is at http://somebody.needsyourprayers.com/. I'm only a few days away from completing it, so once my immediate workload subsides I may be able to finish it. The basic "How To" goes...

Danny,

This sounds awesome!! Can't wait.

Good post, Brother John. :wink
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

Not more, I'm with you on the power of prayer. Maybe another way to get people to pray. Some way to make it easier to see everyone's prayers in a list?

Not more, I'm with you on the power of prayer. Maybe another way to get people to pray. Some way to make it easier to see everyone's prayers in a list?

I don't mean to butt in, sirs, but I have an idea...
Could we perhaps have Brother Matt or someone start a topic with all of the fairly recent prayer requests in it, including a link to the topic (it would have, I would guess, the text of the opening post, along with any updates).

It could be a sticky topic.
God bless,
Crushmaster.