• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bad spirits

• Members

And not demons. haha.

Does it ever seem that one or two families with the wrong spirit can dampen God's working in the entire church?

How can a church overcome the "dull, dead" feeling that can come from the bad attitudes of a few families?

• Members

As the saying goes, one bad apple ruins the bunch!

The think to do, is get others built up and going positive. This may have to be done, at least initially, when the negative families are not present.

As much as possible, keep the negative families to the sidelines (not shunning them, and as much as possible, not being seen as purposefully keeping them on the sidelines.

If the negative families can be "turned" more positive, it's certainly worth the effort in that direction too. Unfortunately, some folks seem to thrive on negativity and the absolute only way they could be "turned" would be if they were to fully surrender that aspect to Christ.

It can certainly be difficult, but it's so important not to allow the negative ones to dominate the church. Counter this by getting others more involved and absolutely with a great deal of prayer.

• Members

And not demons. haha.

Does it ever seem that one or two families with the wrong spirit can dampen God's working in the entire church?

How can a church overcome the "dull, dead" feeling that can come from the bad attitudes of a few families?

Fight fire with water. The only way to effectively fight a ungodly attitude is with a godly one, that way the Holy Spirit has a chance to convict. :icon_mrgreen:

Some Christians in nearly every church seem to be habitually bitter or spoiling for a fight. Sometimes you can help them with a godly example and sometimes you can't, sometimes they are tares, but if you respond with grace and kindness others will see it and their power to corrupt and defile others will be greatly limited.

I think the principles in these verses are the answer...

"Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

"Luke 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, andye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil."

"Colossians 3:12-14 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness."

• Administrators

Yeah, weed 'em out and stone 'em! That'll unite the rest of the congregation while getting rid of the problem!:makmiday:

John, I'm not sure, but I don't think BroMatt's reference was to the stoning (mayhap it was, can't speak for him). My thoughts when I read his reminder of Achan was the fact that, since Achan disobeyed God in Jericho, the whole of Israel suffered with a defeat at AI. Sin in the camp. Sin in the church does have an effect on the church - just as sin on the part of one family member affects the whole family.

Weeding out the sin is the best thing to do. I think Seth points out some great thoughts as to how it can be done. The pastor also needs to (imo - am not a pastor, but I would think this would be the way to go) continue preaching the truth, allowing the Holy Spirit to convict and draw them to Him. If they are really causing a lot of trouble and are not repentant, it should be taken under advisement that possibly they should be asked to leave. That isn't stoning - that's oversight of the flock as God intended.

• Members

And not demons. haha.

The only way to not allow what others are doing "dampen, dull, or kill" the "feeling" is to keep your eyes on Christ, search the scriptures, and pray. Too many of us are looking around at circumstances and searching for a excitement.

• Members

John, I'm not sure, but I don't think BroMatt's reference was to the stoning (mayhap it was, can't speak for him). My thoughts when I read his reminder of Achan was the fact that, since Achan disobeyed God in Jericho, the whole of Israel suffered with a defeat at AI. Sin in the camp. Sin in the church does have an effect on the church - just as sin on the part of one family member affects the whole family.

Weeding out the sin is the best thing to do. I think Seth points out some great thoughts as to how it can be done. The pastor also needs to (imo - am not a pastor, but I would think this would be the way to go) continue preaching the truth, allowing the Holy Spirit to convict and draw them to Him. If they are really causing a lot of trouble and are not repentant, it should be taken under advisement that possibly they should be asked to leave. That isn't stoning - that's oversight of the flock as God intended.

Well yeah, but I wasn't going to let that one slide by without a response like I gave.:angel:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

John is getting a little violent around here. :lol:
I was referring to how one persons sin can effect others.

I am surprised that no one has thought of Matthew 13, and the parable in vs. 24-30!

Mat 13:29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

I like 1Tim115's answer,
The only way to not allow what others are doing "dampen, dull, or kill" the "feeling" is to keep your eyes on Christ, search the scriptures, and pray. Too many of us are looking around at circumstances and searching for a excitement.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have never laughed soo hard! Feeling alittle frustrated there John? I'm sure your just teasing BroMatt but I never expected to hear that from you! That's why it was so funny!! Pray about it before you begin stoning that's all I ask,ok? :icon_pray:

Yeah, weed 'em out and stone 'em! That'll unite the rest of the congregation while getting rid of the problem!:makmiday: