• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Being white, but having grown up among blacks, I know that almost all of them, whether they speak ebonics or gullah or not, still understand  "ordinaly" American English completely. And I believe a well-known example of this is boxer George Foreman. I remember hearing interviews done with him when he was a contender in the Olympix; he spoke mostly ebonix, but he understood every question asked of him completely. (And we know his speech is much-more-refined now.)

• Members
5 hours ago, Salyan said:

Why wouldn’t Americans understand English? I don’t understand the point of this comment. And please don’t mock people’s regional accents.

Sir, more than one of my black friends refers to an ebonics or similar accent as "gullah". I learned that term from them. It's not something I made up nor intended to be demeaning. While that term actually refers to a Creole language used by  a certain group of blacks living on the coasts of Georgia & S. Carolina, I learned the term from  my black friends in D.C. when I was a boy.

Edited by robycop3