• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

How can anyone produce such? He has been doing it from the beginning, "Yea hath God said..." This is part of the process to destroy our ability to win the lost to Christ. "How can I believe what you say, there are so many "Bibles" (sic) out there how do I or you know which is the right one?" WE must continue to stand on the KJB, and not draw back, or retreat or give in or up. Whether it is the Ebonics bible, the Jewish bible, or the ecumenical bible the NIV.

Edited by Bro Jim

• 1 year later...
  • Members

First, I would like to start out by saying that I am a christian, although I am not baptist. I am a Nazarene, So I may have differing opinions on this subject than several of you.

If you look just about anywhere in our world there are several different dialects of the same language, which is central to this discussion. Ebonics is English, but to many people in the United States we view it as vulgar. My English teacher made a point once about rap. This is where I believe Ebonics actually comes from. When slaves would be working in the fields they would make music as what seemed to be a harmless way of entertainment. It was also a form of communication. The form of communication through music was still, and is still a large part of our culture. Any culture actually. Well, when the white city folk realized that these black urban kids could drop a beat the white kids started using there vocabulary because they liked the music. The black kids didn't appreciate the white kids taking there style and individuality, so they created new words. The cycle is still cycling. This is how we develop slang. As slang evolves it begins to be considered vulgar just because we aren't used to the vocabulary. Essentially, Ebonics is another dialect of English, just constantly being modernized.

Really what it comes down to is people being prejudiced. If you were constantly abused by someone as a child, studies show you will show that same abuse and it will be passed down from generation to generation. The slaves were abused by their white owners, they abused their children because that's how they were raised. (ok, I know it sounds super stereotypical to say that, but it is not always the case) what I mean to say is what you grow up with continues several generations through your lineage. I was fortunate to grow up in a family, that surprisingly is not at all racist (which is great because I'm a white teenage girl with strong attractions to black guys) Both sets of my grandparents were/are racist. We view these words as vulgar, because a lot of the time we simply just don't like the people making them up. In other parts of the World words that are everyday vocabulary for us could be offensive. I mean think about it, we have words that mean exactly the same thing that are just older. So because it's new it is vulgar?

A lot of people think that Christianity is a get out of jail free card. For my friends who speak Ebonics out there, dat irotates da s*** outta me. Matthew 28:19-20 says to go make disciples out of every nation baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded and I will be with you until the end of the age. That right there my friends is what Christianity is all about. Christianity is not about following rules and guidelines and being a good person so you can get out of hell. It's about loving each other. Loving your neighbor, loving everyone to show them who God is. Loving the unreachable, even if you are prejudiced against their choice in vocabulary.

In closing, I would like to say that if our goal in life is to reach everyone, why not create the resources so they can. If we have the means and resources, why are we sitting on our booties? I mean how many of you could pick up a KJV, read and understand it? That's how some people actually feel with The Message even. If it reaches one person, isn't it worth it? I would like to challenge you to find one person who actually speaks Ebonics regularly and ask them which sentence they are more comfortable reading or easier to understand.

1. Don't be dissin yo mama, and if you know who yo daddy is don't be dissin him either. If you don't diss em, you be livin longa

or

2. Honor thy father and thy mother: that the days may be long upon the land the the Lord thy Father hath given thee.

• Members

actually, I even dare you to walk into the hood and tell people to watch their mouths. This is really how people live, and many of you seem ignorant to this. It is not cussing to them, it's just how they speak. They aren't going to change all by themselves and the last thing they need is some pompous republican Christian come and tell them that they're going to hell because they haven't had the opportunity to learn about God, but they can if they promise to watch their mouth, go to church every Sunday, and read their Bible (that they probably don't understand)

• Members
actually, I even dare you to walk into the hood and tell people to watch their mouths.

I've done it many times and have always been met with compliance. I will not let people cuss or use vulgar language around my wife and children.

For the Nazarene, on this forum we are saved by grace through repentance towards God and faith in Jesus Christ. There is nothing we can do to earn our way into heaven, our hearts are wicked and our best works nothing but filthy rags to a perfect, righteous and holy God. Salvation is a free gift and not of works as all man-made religions teach.

• Members

I've done it many times and have always been met with compliance. I will not let people cuss or use vulgar language around my wife and children.

For the Nazarene, on this forum we are saved by grace through repentance towards God and faith in Jesus Christ. There is nothing we can do to earn our way into heaven, our hearts are wicked and our best works nothing but filthy rags to a perfect, righteous and holy God. Salvation is a free gift and not of works as all man-made religions teach.

Amen! I've spoke out against foul talk and most often they seem to have a wave of guilt come over them because they know in their heart what they are doing is wrong. I've also had others give their approval of my speaking up about it and several times other blacks have told the offenders they need to take that outside or clean it up.

Wrong is wrong and sin is sin whether we think it is or not. Simply saying "that's how we talk" doesn't make it right. American English is taught and easily learned anywhere in America. Those who choose to speak in some other manner do so because they choose to reject proper speaking and adopt improper and often wicked speech.

Amen, the Gospel is for all!

• Administrators

actually, I even dare you to walk into the hood and tell people to watch their mouths.
I actually live in the hood. I'm an inner city guy. I usually do not have to say anything because they apologize before I can even say anything.

This is really how people live, and many of you seem ignorant to this. It is not cussing to them, it's just how they speak.
Yes, they do realize it. When I can get them to church, it seems their language changes without me telling them, inner city folks know what they are saying, they are smarter than you are giving them credit for. God loves them, so I love them enough to reach them with the Gospel. They are also part of the Great Commission.

They aren't going to change all by themselves and the last thing they need is some pompous republican Christian come and tell them that they're going to hell because they haven't had the opportunity to learn about God, but they can if they promise to watch their mouth, go to church every Sunday, and read their Bible (that they probably don't understand).
According to the Bible, not cussing and going to church never saved anyone. I know people who got saved who only attended church for weddings and funerals. Who here believes that? No member I can remember? And what does Republicans have to do with anything? But hey, thanks for stereotyping us.

• Members

why should someone have to warn christians of a translation that has explicit language and the like in it. the Holy Spirit will throw up a red flag right from the onset.
i learned a long time ago you don't have to know what is wrong to identify what is wrong.
all you have to know is what is what is right to identify what is wrong.

I would have not known what was in it if not for Bro. Matt providing an example.

• Members

First, I would like to start out by saying that I am a christian, although I am not baptist. I am a Nazarene, So I may have differing opinions on this subject than several of you.
2. Honor thy father and thy mother: that the days may be long upon the land the the Lord thy Father hath given thee.

There is one difference, on here we use the KJV AV when posting a correction to MEVs.

Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Most of the black churches I've visited were centered around race and politics with a heavy emphasis upon loud, showy music/singing. Isolated verses of Scripture were selected for quotation in an attempt to make it appear the Bible supported their racial and political preaching.

An ebonics Bible wouldn't have hurt or helped in these churches because there was no interest in what the Bible actually has to say.

The idea of all these "specialty Bibles" is not a good one. They serve only to divide and put money in the pockets of those who sell them. Pick up any KJB and it's good for whoever will read and study it regardless of their race, gender, political philosophy, hobbies or whatever. We don't need various special Bibles with the wording and content put forth to appeal to the ego of women, blacks, homosexuals or any other grouping.

• 5 years later...
  • Administrators

I have banned the poster who dug up this old thread simply to be offensive to us. I have also hidden what "she" wrote because of the language. I will leave it up to the Admins whether or not to completely delete the post or to restore it.

Please feel free to comment on any thread, no matter the age. But be warned: abusive and filthy language will not be tolerated.

• Administrators

Good call HC. Some may think the post should be saved for some kind of "evidence", I'm not one of them. It is  an admin or mods perogative to ban at their discretion.

I am for deleting the filth entirely, it has no place on a Christian forum.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Good call HC. Some may think the post should be saved for some kind of "evidence", I'm not one of them. It is  an admin or mods perogative to ban at their discretion.

I am for deleting the filth entirely, it has no place on a Christian forum.

Done - and I completely agree.