• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reverence, obedience and submission????

Guest Guest

Can you explain the differences between my showing these to my husband? Please also give me an example and verses to study. I'm understanding these are three different things: Reverence, obedience, submission. If I'm missing something else the LORD say's wives are to show or do for their husbands please fill free to explain. Pixiedust

• Members

Good questions, pixiedust. If you look in an Amplified Bible, you will find lists of synonyms after these terms which aid in understanding what they mean. Although each of these terms does have its own, separate meaning/connotation, all of the terms go hand in hand. If I truly reverence/respect/adore my husband, then I will submit myself to him (voluntarily place myself under his authority). If I am submitting myself to him, then I will obey him in all things. It's like a chain reaction. Obedience is the act itself; submission is the attitude behind the action; reverence is the foundation for both attitude and action. If I do not reverence my husband, than my attitude will not be one of submission, and my action will not be obedience, even though it might look like obedience on the surface.

Oh Annie thank you !I understand much better. So one is the wiiling giving over authority (submission)...then to do what has been ask of you (obedience) and to do what your supposed to be doing and doing it with the right motive--serving my husband (reverance) Did I get that right? Struggling sister in Christ Pixiedust What is a Amplified Bible ?(it must be KJO) If I messed up on anything I said straighten me out please!

• Members
Oh Annie thank you !I understand much better. So one is the wiiling giving over authority (submission)...then to do what has been ask of you (obedience) and to do what your supposed to be doing and doing it with the right motive--serving my husband (reverance) Did I get that right? Struggling sister in Christ Pixiedust What is a Amplified Bible ?(it must be KJO) If I messed up on anything I said straighten me out please!
You haven't messed up on anything, pixiedust. It's great that you're thinking through these ideas. The Amplified Bible that I'm thinking of simply takes the text of the KJV and "amplifies" it by including synonyms for certain terms. The synonyms aren't meant to be part of the actual text; they just help the reader understand the meaning of the text. It's like having Strong's Concordance mixed in with the text. (At least, that's how I understand it.)