• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Are you implying that I am too talkative? It sometimes takes a bit to get me going and then once I get going I really don't know when to stop like that thread you started about Abraham Lincoln and then I get upset when I think of how history is constantly being rewritten and I get so tired of people telling me the South Lost so just get over it, when I do not want to get over it, I just want the history books to set the record straight and stop trying to sugar coat the War of Northern Agression and make the people up north all smug and self-righteous about how they won a war that had no constitutional basis to begin with to stop with their talk about slavery and heroes and famous generals who were nothing more than war criminals, but really they don't know any better so I guess God has to forgive them and so do I because they only know what they read in the history books and the history books are all wrong...and...and...and....and

• Members

Northerners aren't smug about it because we don't think much about it one way or the other. Mostly it is thought of as the war that freed the slaves up here, not about north versus south or who it was that beat the other.

That is my point kevin!

• Members

How many lies have been told throughout the course of American history for political gain?

The lie that the war was fought to free the slaves is simply NOT TRUE! It was good PR - it sounded good at the time - but it was not TRUE. It smoothed things over and gave them "justification" to ruin and devastate people - many who had absolutely nothing to do with slavery.

Bill Clinton is the consumate liar, IMO, but to my knowledge he has not attempted to rewrite any history books.

We know who the father of all lies are, and it grieves my soul that so many Christians would accept a political lie such as that as if it were truth, without even investigating it further.

• Members

And actually, a great many are smug about the issue. Many folks outside the South automatically believe Southern folk are either racist or more racist than others simply because they are from the South and because of the lie that Southerners fought to keep slaves.

• Members

How many lies have been told throughout the course of American history for political gain?

The lie that the war was fought to free the slaves is simply NOT TRUE! It was good PR - it sounded good at the time - but it was not TRUE. It smoothed things over and gave them "justification" to ruin and devastate people - many who had absolutely nothing to do with slavery.

Bill Clinton is the consumate liar, IMO, but to my knowledge he has not attempted to rewrite any history books.

We know who the father of all lies are, and it grieves my soul that so many Christians would accept a political lie such as that as if it were truth, without even investigating it further.

It was the biggest outcome of the war to most people, therefore, it is associated the most with it. Northerners don't harbor hurt feelings over it, they just see it as a war that freed the slaves because it did.

And actually, a great many are smug about the issue. Many folks outside the South automatically believe Southern folk are either racist or more racist than others simply because they are from the South and because of the lie that Southerners fought to keep slaves.

We don't automatically assume that they are all racist. But there still is a lot of racial prejudice down south. We lived in NC for several years.

• Members

The most racist minded people I've ever been around in my life were from Chicago and the surrounding area.

The biggest impact that war had was the destruction of the Constitution and the Republic our Founders worked so hard to create.