• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

I used to live near a stawberry farm and we would pick a whole flat of fresh strawberries from the field. Then the next morning I always cooked them up into fresh strawberry jam. I canned up the jars and we had jam to last us all through the year - none of that store-bought stuff for us. Fresh strawberry jam on a hot home made biscuit! Nothing tastes better than that!

When the blackberries ripened in the cow pasture, I did the same thing. I climbed the barbed wire fence, with a plastic gallon-sized ice cream bucket and picked wild blackberries - the great big juicy sweet kind as big as your thumb! You have to get out there early before the birds eat all of the berries up. I made up a fresh cobbler and the rest went into Blackberry Jam.

My sister still teases me - she said she remembers coming to visit and there would not be anything in my kitchen except maybe a coffee can full of flour and some sugar in a jar, and she would complain because there wasn't any food in the house - then the next thing you know I would have a hot meal on the table! I'd go out to the hen house for the eggs, down to the root cellar for the veggies, out to the garden to pick some fresh produce and viola! Mix together some biscuits or cornbread, brew up a pitcher of sweet tea - and there it would be! Hot dinner on the table! I miss living on a farm.

• Members

When I was a child my babysitters husband used to raise strawberries. He had a patch behind his house and a full lot garden down the street. Funny, where that full lot garden used to be, I now own! It's right behind my house.

We used to go picking all sorts of berries; raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, YUM!

Sadly, all the places the berries used to grow have been bulldozed away. :sad

We have our seeds ready for this years garden, but it'll be awhile before planting time. The tulips in front of the house are growing good.

• Members

Even though we have a warm growing season, I find it is difficult to get anything to grow in this sand - I get the best results when I throw a few layers of leaves, potting soil, and mulch on top of the sand. I have a fine growth of clover across the yard instead of grass. To "mow" the lawn all I have to do is go pull a couple of the taller weeds and it's all done.

I planted some morning glories along my lattice fence and they are starting to come up. I also have hibiscus bushes, a couple of shrubs, and I just finished planting some yellow canna bulbs and pink daylilies. I planted some elephant ear bulbs but nothing has come up yet.

I want my yard to be really lush and tropical, but it looks kinda bare right now.

• Members

Ah........growing things; I used to have a whole hill of strawberries and break my back picking just enough to have for breakfast; Im the one that loves fresh anything in our house, except for my dog Tasha. She will test just about anything if she thinks that I will eventually eat it. My strawberries turned traitor and their little 'trailers' moved under our fence and went to my friend Sandys house next door. God knows she needs things more than I do; So God sent a bird with a seed, or sprung up a root underground and gave me a black berry bush; I had told my husband to dig one up from the woods near by, and when it came up last year, I thought he had planted it. He said no, and thats not a berry bush. Then he saw what grew on it this past spring/summer, and he changed his mind :cool