• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Give them a good fryin' in a hot skillet and then they are really good for somethin'!

While it sounds great to fry catfish is a hot skillet, I am not sure that the catfish (people) I am talking about would appreciate that, John.  ;)  BTW, these catfish are Christians I know in person, from another IFB church.  One is backsliden, and knows it, even brags about it, but still manages to try my patience.

• Members

Backsliders have a bad habit of trying to drag other Christians away with them. I think it makes them feel better if they see others fall away.

Exactly, John.  Sadly, his dad is a wonderful evangelist.  This man also had the privilege of going to Christian school all his life.  He loves to come on my Facebook wall and stir up trouble.  When he does this, I give him verses from the KJV.  He will argue for a bit, but he eventually stops, because I continue to stay the course.  One of the reasons I keep him as a friend on FB is because I told his parents I would.  They appreciate my help. 

• Members

Are you sure he's saved but backslidden or could he possible yet be unsaved? It's not uncommon for children to grow up like that, learn the right sayings and how to act the part, sometimes even believing they are a true Christian, but yet never having actually been born again.

That's good of you to help out his parents in trying to help him.

• Members

Are you sure he's saved but backslidden or could he possible yet be unsaved? It's not uncommon for children to grow up like that, learn the right sayings and how to act the part, sometimes even believing they are a true Christian, but yet never having actually been born again.

That's good of you to help out his parents in trying to help him.

That's a good question, John.  He might actually be unsaved.  Although, he does seem to agree with friends on my wall who love modern versions of the Bible.  He also speaks of Jesus in a positive light, so I know he does love God.  Several years ago, he got married to an unsaved woman and has two handsome sons.    He constantly posts about sports on his Timeline.  The only time he gets into spiritual things is when he posts on my wall and also on the walls of other people from his church.  There are a group of us that are trying to encourage him.  He is close friends with a Christian woman who he graduated from school with.  She knows him better, and would be able to tell me if he is saved or not.

His parents are wonderful people.  Years ago, his dad had open heart surgery.  He preached in my church, the night before his surgery, on "The High Cholesterol Sins of the Heart."  He talked about how born again Christians always look for outward sins like drinking, smoking and swearing... yet they overlook things like pride, arrogance, envy, wrath, etc.  His message hit home with many Christians as he talked about the sins of the heart, that are only seen by God not man.  It was a great message!  

Thanks.  I do what I can to help bring him back to the flock.

• Members

Sounds like a great sermon to hear and learn from!

It's a real shame there are so many folks who talk good of Jesus, say they love God, sometimes even attend church, most often think they are going to heaven, yet have never been born again. This little town is very "Christian" but unfortunately it seems most are Christian in name only. They attend church, many are seen as "good Christian folks" but they are as lost as OBama.

It saddens me so much to think of these sort of people who really think they are Christians and okay with God but will one day hear Jesus tell them He never knew them, depart.

• Members

Sounds like a great sermon to hear and learn from!

It's a real shame there are so many folks who talk good of Jesus, say they love God, sometimes even attend church, most often think they are going to heaven, yet have never been born again. This little town is very "Christian" but unfortunately it seems most are Christian in name only. They attend church, many are seen as "good Christian folks" but they are as lost as OBama.

It saddens me so much to think of these sort of people who really think they are Christians and okay with God but will one day hear Jesus tell them He never knew them, depart.

Yes, it was awesome!

How true that is.  Since this pope has been in the Vatican, many RC's believe they are saved.  I run across them in town.  I ask them, "Was there ever a time in your life, that you called out the Name of Jesus Christ, asked Him to become your Saviour, take away your sins, and you truly trusted in Him?"  I get the usual response, "I am a good person, I go to church, I have competed the Sacraments, etc."  This opens up the door for me to witness to them.  However, since Pope Francis believes that an Atheist can go to heaven, they usually ignore when I am witnessing to them.  It is extremely sad.  It is easier to witness to an un-churched person than it is to a devout RC.  Sadly, many RC's are going back to the "church" b/c of this pope.  *sigh*   

• Members

Yes, I've noticed having a "good pope" has really caused a lot of prOBlems. Not only are Catholics more emboldened to think they are good with God, but many non-catholics are thinking the new pope is a real Christian and some are even joining the RCC!

So much deception and it makes it so hard to reach folks with the Gospel when they already think they are in good standing with God and assured of a heavenly home.

• Members

Yes, I've noticed having a "good pope" has really caused a lot of prOBlems. Not only are Catholics more emboldened to think they are good with God, but many non-catholics are thinking the new pope is a real Christian and some are even joining the RCC!

So much deception and it makes it so hard to reach folks with the Gospel when they already think they are in good standing with God and assured of a heavenly home.

Little do these RC's know that this pope is not a "good pope."  I have posted about the atrocities of the Jesuits on my FB Timeline.  My sister and one of my first cousins always rocket in from Pluto when I speak out on anything about the Vatican.  My first cousin has debated me via private message, too.    

Very true about people joining the RCC, John.  Many RCC's have baptismals set up to bring in the Protestants.  They get the Protestants in, dunk them for membership, and these former Protestants believe they are saved.  They are coming into the RCC in droves because of this pope.  Attendance in RC churches in my area is up quite a bit.  Why not?  You can do anything in the RCC and still be assured that you are in good standing with God.  Although, we know that is a lie from Satan.  When I was in my early 20's, my RC friends used to go to a RC church in downtown Cleveland on Saturday night.  As far as works is concerned, St. Malachi is great.  They have a wonderful homeless ministry and a soup kitchen.  Anyway, my friends checked in, did their duty, got it over with, and proceeded to go to the bars in an area called "The Flats" in Cleveland.  I have so many old friends from high school on FB that party like it is 1999.  They are 50, and still going to the bars.  Many of them go with their children.   :eek I have an old friend from HS whose husband is in a rock band.  Another friend from junior high is in a reggae band.  It never surprises me what I see on Facebook from the lost.  Many HS friends pleaded with me to go to the last high school class reunion.  I  have never been to one, and don't care to ever attend one.  Now, some junior high friends from the Parochial School I attended, are setting up a class reunion.  I have turned them down, as well.  What kind of a testimony would I be setting if I went to these reunions?  Surely not a good one.       

• Members

Nearly all the Catholics I know are heavy drinkers. It's sad to see former "protestants" who join the RCC follow the same lifestyle choices of so many Catholics...cursing, drinking, smoking and such.

The over-embrace of Pope John Paul II, in the name of fighting communism, did great harm to Christianity in America and set the groundwork for what we see today in the near worship of this current pope.

Today Catholics and Mormons are viewed as Christian denominations rather than what they truly are.

• Members

I also find it amazing how so many Catholics have no real clue what their church actually teaches. So many Catholics I've spoken with quickly become confused and have no real answers when we start talking about what the Bible says and what the RCC teaches. They tend to know little or virtually nothing about either.

• Administrators

Yes.  If Catholics really looked into what they believe, they would find a vast similarity to Mormonism. In fact, the majority of adult Mormons that I know (and I know a good number) all say that Mormonism answers all of the questions one might have - but if it turned out to be wrong, they would turn to the Catholic church, which answers almost all of the questions (there is a list they have of questions to find the perfect church...)...

That's one of the reasons I found it most interesting to hear her viewpoint.  She wasn't happy when I told her what the Mormons I know believe about the RCC.  :icon_smile: