• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

ok i know all about Peter Ruckman and his crowd and i lump him in the same catagory with Phill Kidd. I am soooo tired of preachers coming through who dont do anything but beat up the crowd. I hate it when i am in services like that.Or when they preach on things like the confederate flag. I mean i am southern born and raised, but come on.There is a time and place for such conversations and preaching against things such as that and things like a nation without borders. I mean there are people dying and going to hell. Why waste your time hollering about these things, that will not even matter in eternity.

• Members

Amen! A pastor should be concerned about edifying his congregation, building up the Body of Christ to live for Christ and witness for Christ.

Some pastors get stuck on side issues or pick one or two pet issues (like womens dress or Hollywood movies; for example) and they devote virtually every sermon to some aspect of this. How is that helpful? How is that going to build up your listeners?

Preach Christ to the lost and living for Christ to the saved!

• Members

I don't know about anyone else, but when I am listening to a sermon I listen for certain "buzz words" and phrases. Does the preacher express any concern for [b]lost sinners[/b]? Does the preacher [b]pray[/b] in the name of [b]Jesus[/b]? Does the message include the plan of [b]salvation[/b]? Does he ask the congregation to [b]open their Bibles[/b], so they can read along as he delivers the message?

Or is it all light and fluffy, cotton candy preaching that does not feed your soul, but just sort of makes you feel good? That is one of the reasons I can NOT bear to listen to Joel Olsteen and some of those other TV preachers.

Who is Phil Kidd?

• Members

Right there with ya IM! The last church I visited no one carried a Bible, not even the pastor! The pastor brought a few pages of notes to the podium after a woman led the congregation in singing several modern choruses I've never heard of.

They had two big screens hanging from the ceiling, one on each side of the podium, and when the pastor quoted some Scripture from his notes that Scripture verse and the name of the modern version Bible he got it from would appear on the screen.

He hit a couple good points, but overall the message was flat, the use of several different modern versions for that one sermon didn't help any, and the congregation mostly seemed to be looking forward to the sermon ending.

I haven't been back to that church.

• Members

I'll bet that church did not have a single Cross in sight, either! I am ashamed to say that I visited a church like that for about 6 months. I thought I had gone there on a "bad week" or something and being new to town I stayed because I was invited to stay.

Thank the Lord that I found Bible Baptist! It is less than a mile from the other church but a 180' difference "on fire" for God Gospel Preaching Bible Believing Church! I went there when they had a Revival Service and I have been going there ever since.

• Members

I had thought about visiting a new church which opened doors not too far from our home. That is until the preacher moved in next door to us!

This preacher allows his daughters (he has several of them, ages about 5 to 20) to go about wearing very, very short shorts. As well, they sometimes lay out in the back yard sunbathing in bikinis. The younger girls sometimes run around the yard in only their bikini bottoms.

His wife sometimes sits by their kiddie pool wearing a way too tight one piece bathing suit.

His oldest son flirts with his sisters!

He has two dogs he allows to bark constantly, at all hours of the day and night, and he won't even quiet them if he is outside.

And, the first time I met him he mentioned that he was going to Wednesday night services which is why he was home early, but he never asked me if I knew Christ, didn't even ask if I went to church, and never bothered to invite me to his church. :?

Oh, and when I drove by the church prior to services there one day, I noticed two young women walking towards the church. They were dressed like high priced call girls! As is normal around here, I smiled and gave a little wave. Both women gave me very dirty, snotty looks and proceeded on their way.

Needless to say, I don't think there is any point in visiting that church. :(