• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Apparently there is some law which dictates to this when it involves workman's comp. There are always complications when dealing with workman's comp and the doctors are often caught in the middle along with the patients between work rules, laws, workman's comps desires.

On her old workman's comp there was never a problem but since the company switched who handles the workman's comp there has been complication after complication; and not just for us, but it seems for just about everyone who has had to deal with a workman's comp related issue this year.

Many  workman's comp insurance company's tries to get you back to work as soon as possible, also some companies are that way, all they care about is saving money, not the workers injury or future. And they're waxing worse.

In the future its going to be very difficult on the labors who do physical work.

• Members

I got a laugh yesterday morning when I was checking the weather in the paper.  It said that cool air from Canada was making it's way south... :nuts:

We are definitely feeling the cooler air right now. It was like a fall morning this morning. Unusual for this neck of the woods.  September is usually as bad or worse than August.  I am happy, though - took Bella for a walk this morning and we both enjoyed the lack of heat and humidity and the ability to breathe without struggle!

I recall in October 1993, in the month of October I had two houses full of chickens that were just past a 7 pound average each & just before noon time I was at my chickens houses staying with them until late evening when the temp dropped back down until they sold at the end of the 2nd week of October, I was fogging them, doing everything I could to try & keep them alive, for the heat was bad on those very heavy chickens. I do remember on one afternoon the humidity started up, up, & up, the air was very still, very heavy, & I felt as if I was going to start losing chickens at any moment. And I did!

Yet thankfully by the time I had lost about 40 something chickens in each house that afternoon due to the temp & humidity, it broke, & cooled off. I remember it quite well because that month I sold the biggest chicken I ever had, they average just nearly 7 & 1/2 pounds each, & I had a very good payday & was the number 1 grower.

Plus I remember back in my school days of being in my class rooms in September & October, setting there sweating, sweat running off of my face, we had no A/C & no fans. Those two months can be very hot in SW Arkansas, yet thankfully not all of them are that way.

• Members

Any excuse will do...sigh.

Jerry, I've been fortunate that all the classrooms I've been in had air conditioning.  I feel for kids that have to be in sweaty classrooms - there isn't a lot of learning that can take place when you're miserably hot!

When I was in grade school one teacher in the building had an AC in her room, Mrs. Lewis. I understood she had some type of health problem so they allowed this, yet she had to pay a certain amount for electricity. She taught the 5th grade I think, & boy did I hope I would get her for my homeroom teacher, but I did not.  :thumbdown:

The door to her classroom was always closed. i remember passing by that door on some of those hot, hot, hot days glancing in that small window in the door thinking about how great the temp would feel on the other side. 

In my 12 years of school that was the only classroom that was really cool! She was the coolest teacher in our school! I know all of the student that had her for a homeroom teacher really loved her & appreciate her very much. Yet I feel sure it was tough when class ended to climb on a hot school bus & go home to a hot house. Maybe it was best I was not in that room, it would have made home feel much hotter!

Trying to search my memory. I believe the 1st time I ever experienced an AC was in a Department Store at Texarkana. If I remember correctly it would be a very hot day & after mother, grandmother, sister, & I were in there for a very short time I was ready to get out in the heat, it was nearly freezing me to death!  :biggrin:

Back in those days an AC building felt much different than they do nowadays.

• Members

The leaves on our tree turned early this year. I also noted the robins started thinning out early too. I really hope this isn't a sign of an early and bad winter.

I noted last week that some schools were closed due to the heat and some let out early. Most of them were in the northern plains where they don't have A/C and were hit with that recent heat wave. When I was in school it didn't matter how hot it was, we had school. The classrooms had one fan and most often the teacher had the fan pointing at their desk. There were never any notes sent home with students telling the parents to send water with their children or telling them there would be no school.

How did any of us ever survive before all these "experts" determined students can't sit in a hot classroom, ride a bike without a helmet, roller skate without knee pads, elbow pads and a helmet, play in the creek, go hunting and fishing, have a pocket knife, play outside, play tag, play cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians, play with toy soldiers, and on and on?

• Members

Yes, that year we got more than 17 inches of snow while many chicken houses full of chickens fell to the ground like dominoes changed my mind about that four lettered word, _ _ _ _!

At that time I had chickens & I feared mine would fall to the ground.

Them after that event no insurance company would cover a chicken house that was over 7 years old, that is if you had an old chicken house & owed money on it, & it fell to the ground, its your baby.

And even if it fell to the ground & it was paid for without insurance it would still be a huge loss.