• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

I forget the year, but several years back they nearly got completely wiped out. But they've made a come back. Yet they have two major enemies, and these enemies are not native birds, the sparrows and starlings. With the starlings being the worse, they have been know to kill the martins.

Click on this. Go abpout 3/4 way donw the page, and on the right side. You can listen to the cheerful sounds of the purple martins.

• Members

You'd be mighty crazy around here then! We have cardinals, blue jays, doves, robins, and a variety of other birds constantly singing away. Some mornings it's almost like a bird choir! On some occassions there's even a hoot owl at night.

• Members

A fellow was telling me, nearly every night for a couple weeks a mockingbird was not far from his bedroom window, just signing up a storm, keeping him awake most of the night. Finally after more that 2 weeks of this one night after midnight he loads up his shotgun, them goes mocking bird hunting. He finally tracked it down, aimed, fired. But when he fired he thought my shotgun sure was loud. But anyway, he turns on his flashlight to go see if he had killed it. About that time he heard some movement, and voice, Saying, "Who there."

It was his game warden neighbor, he had got tired of the mockingbird keeping him awake. All they found of the mockingbird was feathers, seems they both shot it at the same time from different directions. Thankfully only the bird got shot.

They talked a few moments, the game warden said, "Maybe we can get some sleep now," They parted company and headed back to bed.

• Members

A fellow was telling me, nearly every night for a couple weeks a mockingbird was not far from his bedroom window, just signing up a storm, keeping him awake most of the night. Finally after more that 2 weeks of this one night after midnight he loads up his shotgun, them goes mocking bird hunting. He finally tracked it down, aimed, fired. But when he fired he thought my shotgun sure was loud. But anyway, he turns on his flashlight to go see if he had killed it. About that time he heard some movement, and voice, Saying, "Who there."

It was his game warden neighbor, he had got tired of the mockingbird keeping him awake. All they found of the mockingbird was feathers, seems they both shot it at the same time from different directions. Thankfully only the bird got shot.

They talked a few moments, the game warden said, "Maybe we can get some sleep now," They parted company and headed back to bed.

Hmm, that's interesting. It is indeed a blessing they didn't hit each other.
Thanks for sharing.
God bless,
Joel.

• Members

Cool story Jerry! :clapping:

Reminds me of the night a cricket woke me up. When I tried to get him he got away. I went back to bed and he started again. That cricket was so loud I couldn't get back to sleep. I spent a half hour tracking that cricket down before I finally killed it and was able to get some sleep.