• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Interesting. A couple years ago I read some theories as to what the author of Frankenstein was really trying to get across and some of the cultural issues and such involved. They also had a section dealing with Dracula and feminism in England. Wish I could remember the source of those articles.

What have you come up with so far?

• Members

In the book Frankenstein by Mary Shelly, the concept of the noble savage is woven into the plot with great subtlety and skill. We see a new creature, living life as an adult, and yet as a child. We see his joy in simple things, as a child of the world, and we see his anger at the world which took his joy. How did such a man go from joy to hatred? The world of woe in which he was immersed drowned that great spirit of joy in its depths of inky darkness and despair. Such is the journey of all humans, from a childlike wonder to a cynical belief. The world in which humanity lives is a harmful influence on our very souls.
As the monster begins his journey along the path of discovering who he is, his delight in things often taken for granted is great. The beauty of the forest, the comfort of a fire, all seem to the monster to be

• Members

This sounds more like to me as if it's dealing with the concept of babies being born pure, innocent and "perfect". The belief that unless they are taught bad things they will naturally be good.

Of course this concept does bleed over into the idea of the noble savage. The myth of the noble savage was that they were pure, at one with nature, basically knew no evil, and that "civilized man" brought wickedness to them and corrupted them.

This touches off the whole nature vs. nurture debate. Also this divides the humanist idea that people are born good and clean while Christianity teaches all are born with a sin nature.

• Members
In the book Frankenstein by Mary Shelly, the concept of the noble savage is woven into the plot with great subtlety and skill. We see a new creature, living life as an adult, and yet as a child. We see his joy in simple things, as a child of the world, and we see his anger at the world which took his joy. How did such a man go from joy to hatred? The world of woe in which he was immersed drowned that great spirit of joy in its depths of inky darkness and despair. Such is the journey of all humans, from a childlike wonder to a cynical belief. The world in which humanity lives is a harmful influence on our very souls.
As the monster begins his journey along the path of discovering who he is, his delight in things often taken for granted is great. The beauty of the forest, the comfort of a fire, all seem to the monster to be

That was a very good book, I liked it, but I always loved a good book, but that is a good one, I would read that instead of watching the movie (which wasnt all that great!) I been reading the Eragon books (3 books), more then 500 pages in each, total of 2000 pages (rounding) in a month period.

Other then that, I been looking at my life lately. I realize I didnt have a relationship with God like I figure I did. My true connection to God was in choir, but other then that, my relationship with God was through other people, and I am ashame of that, but I am happy I realize that, that way I can start working on it to have it God for my own.