• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Here in Florida where the weather is mild, attracts a lot of "homeless by choice" people. They usually have a bicycle or some means of transportation and tent and a sleeping bag and they just camp here and camp there and go from town to town. many times they live like that so they have more money to spend on beer or crack,

Then there are those who live one paycheck away from homelessness - and they lose their job and there they are a whole family living on the streets - I have seen a lot of it. Many of them hitch hike to the cities and live in the parks and vacant lots and under bridges because they think there are more jobs in the cities and then they are trapped in that world, unable to escape. The welfare people come and take the children away and put them into foster care, thus heaping more grief and misery on them. Very sad.

People who are mentally ill/mentally retarded often wind up living in the streets. they have mental problems and get Baker Acted into the hspital - while they are in the hospital they lose their job, cant pay their bills, and when it is time to release them they have no where to go and they just wander around looking for something to eat and some place to sleep. I see them hanging out around McDonalds and places, begging for a few quarters to buy a happy meal. There are programs that can help them but often they do not know how to access them, so the kindest thing to do is to get them to a shelter and help them get the community supports they need to end theirlife on the streets.

This is the time of year when it breaks my heart to see so many people living on the sidewalks of places like Tampa and Orlando. I also see a lot of the hobos sitting under the overpasses along the interstate. I wonder how many of them are convicted sex offenders wh o are trying to operate under the radar, or how many are escaped convicts, and some are truly mentally deranged with violent tendencies, and others are gentle as lambs and need real help, and there is no way to know who you are dealing with under the circumstances. I pray for them all and I contribute to the food banks and thrift shops and i hope that this is helpful in some small way.

• Members
The untold truth about many "homeless" and "poor" is that they CHOOSE to live that way.

That truth is not so "untold" here where I'm at. They know they have chosen to be homeless, and so do most people living here. Those who get sick and tired of being "sick and tired" will be wise enough to make the wise descision and seek counseling and the Lord. But there will always be the complacent, which is why there needs to be soldiers of Christ stepping out into the world and being faithful stewards. :)

Love,
Madeline