• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

I remember back in 1973 we were living in Pulaski County Illinois during the really big flood! The Ohio and Mississippi Rivers both flooded their banks and all of the tributaries. We lived next to Cash Creek and the water flooded out our whole county for miles and miles around! We just headed for relatives houses who lived on higher ground than we did. The old folks said it was as bad as the 1937 flood! That was how we landed ourselves in Western Kentucky getting away from the floodwaters. There wasn't any Red Cross or FEMA or anything like that back in those days. I remember them taking school children out of classes to go help fill sandbags so that they could be used to build a flood wall stacked on top of the leveees and the levees breeched in several places.

• Members

1992 was a bad year too - about every five years or so you can expect some really bad flooding along the Mississippi. I was born in Cairo Illinois, which is actually built below sea level, and the levees are the only thing that keeps the whole town from going under. I have seen the Mississippi River so low that you could walk across it from the Kentucky to the Illinois side, and I have seen it so flooded that it looked like one mighty big ocean.

I remember the water coming up the road and under our house. We sat on the porch with fishing poles and fished the catfish out from under the front steps. We grilled them up and they were surely tasty! They were all nice and fat from eating the soybean crops that were under water too.

• Members

The flood of '69 knocked some levees out, forcing folks to have to drive an extra hundred miles or so to get to the next bridge and then drive on to where they were headed.

And the flood of '93 really caused problems too, though the levees held that time.