• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I would like to differ on this issue, based on the last words.
I consider the 1611 King James to be [u]the[/u] Bible, while, for example, my Evidence Bible is a King James [u]Version[/u], because the text has been changed to be more "comfortable" to readers.
My 1611 Cambridge says King James on the spine while my Evidence Bible says KJV.
That may sound nit picky, but I am sticking to it. :)

• Members

I have a question. I have just purchased a NKJV. I bought it because the translation was easier for me to read. Does anybody know of any reason that I should not have done this? Or does anybody know if the translations will be wrong? I believe there are some words that can't be translated. I enjoy reading both, but have found the NKJV a lot easier for my somewhat burnt out mind to understand.

:?: :? :?: :? :?:

• Members

The NKJV is not translated solely from the preserved manuscripts, so there are definitely some changes. Plus the footnotes question the passages that they did not change. "Yea, hath God said?..."

• Members

As Jerry stated, the problem with the NKJV is that they used the Wescott & Hort text to translate portions. If you start with junk, you end up with junk. Though it is not as bad as other translations, a little arsenic will still kill you.

On the readability issue. The more you read the KJV, the easier it gets to read it.

• Members

I know I'm going to probably be the only one here to say this, but here goes. :D If you understand the NKJV better, then read it. Yes, the KJV is the BEST there is, but I don't like to put God "in a box" so to speak when it comes to the different translations. I think God wants us to [b]understand[/b] what we are reading. That is more important than reading the "correct" words. "Thee's" and "Thou's" went out several hundred years ago and I think it's high time that the IFB people understood that.
I sincerely and truly believe that the NKJV is just fine. I read it almost every morning for my devotions.

• Members

The preface of the first edition New King Jimmy "bible" states that the NT Greek text they used was Scriveners [b]with W&H variants[/b]..(Obviously!!!!)

I think it is the most subtle,crafty attempt to pass off Alexandrian leaven as a "updated easier to read" KJB..

But as far as the understanding goes,read: John 16:13,Proverbs 22:17-21,and 1st Corinthians 2:9-13.

Also see Hebrews 5:14,1st Cor 12:10,1st Cor 2:14.

• Members

[quote="88keys"]
I think God wants us to [b]understand[/b] what we are reading. If you understand the NKJV better, then read it.
[/quote]

What good is understanding it if it says something different!?!

[quote]
That is more important than reading the "correct" words.
[/quote]

You are 100% dead wrong! If you claim to be a Christian, you should care about truth. You may not understand the differences between the various versions, or even the importance of certain changes, but don't make statements like that! That mindset is of the world, not of God. God inspired the literal words - not ideas - of the Scriptures.

[quote]
"Thee's" and "Thou's" went out several hundred years ago and I think it's high time that the IFB people understood that.
[/quote]

The Bible version issue goes way beyond the thee and thous. That is actually the least part of the whole issue - though there is an issue of accuracy there as well.

As far as understanding goes, it comes with study - but our modern Christianity/Christendom wants the easy way out. STUDY to shew thyself approved unto God. It is not hard to look up a few words in a good Dictionary or Strong's Concordance - and you still need to do THAT with the NKJV anyways! I have one and I have read it and there are still difficult words in there - many that are the same as the ones in the King James Bible, which they supposedly replaced or modernised - they didn't, they just changed WHERE they put them in the Bible.

• Members

[quote="88keys"]
"Thee's" and "Thou's" went out several hundred years ago and I think it's high time that the IFB people understood that.
[/quote]

Remember this is a KJVonly message board. You don't have to be KJVonly yourself to fellowship here, but I would suggest not knocking it or those who read and study it.

Do you know the nice thing is about Chrsitians reading the the KJV and not understanding it is? They don't have to understand it. If you read it in the flesh you are not going to get much or anything out of it, If you read it with the Holy Spirits power, Oh boy what great understanding!!!!! :sing:

• Members

[quote]
I would like to differ on this issue, based on the last words.
I consider the 1611 King James to be the Bible, while, for example, my Evidence Bible is a King James Version, because the text has been changed to be more "comfortable" to readers.
My 1611 Cambridge says King James on the spine while my Evidence Bible says KJV.
That may sound nit picky, but I am sticking to it.
[/quote]

[b]AMEN and AMEN[/b] I never call it the KJV, it's the KJB it's not a mere version, rather it is the complete, perfect, perserved, inerrant, infallible Word of God, the Bible.

[quote]
Yes, the KJV is the BEST there is, but I don't like to put God "in a box" so to speak when it comes to the different translations.
[/quote]

Actually the Romanists do that, put God in a box... lol jk

[quote]
I think God wants us to understand what we are reading. That is more important than reading the "correct" words.
[/quote]
Umm like it was said before, how do you understand God's Word without the correct words?

The Holy Spirit of God is what gives us understanding of scripture, not at what "difficulty" it is written in.

[quote]
[/quote]

God chose a language for his completed OT and NT to come to one book. He chose English... the greatest language in the world... the most correct... not american english, but the english you find in your KJB.

God does not use a language that changes with the times and changes every day like our modern english does. The Thee's and the Thou's are just as important as the word "virgin", "Hell", and other words the perversions take out.. including the NKJV, which not only uses a small portion of Corrupt manuscripts but also translated the correct manuscriptes in an Alexandrian style... such a way that Westcott and Hort did.

IF you want to read God's Word and understand it, first make sure you are saved and have the Holy Spirit of God to give you understanding... without it you can not understand spiritual things. Second pray to God for understanding. Third, make sure you are using God's Word, the King James Bible AV1611!