• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bakershalfdozen

Ave Maria

Ave Maria
Gratia plena
Maria, gratia plena
Maria, gratia plena
Ave, ave dominus
Dominus tecum
Benedicta tu in mulieribus
Et benedictus
Et benedictus fructus ventris
Ventris tuae, Jesus.
Ave Maria

Ave Maria
Mater Dei
Ora pro nobis peccatoribus
Ora pro nobis
Ora, ora pro nobis peccatoribus
Nunc et in hora mortis
Et in hora mortis nostrae
Ave Maria

[quote="sweetwaterdog"]
Ave Maria
Gratia plena
Maria, gratia plena
Maria, gratia plena
Ave, ave dominus
Dominus tecum
Benedicta tu in mulieribus
Et benedictus
Et benedictus fructus ventris
Ventris tuae, Jesus.
Ave Maria

Ave Maria
Mater Dei
Ora pro nobis peccatoribus
Ora pro nobis
Ora, ora pro nobis peccatoribus
Nunc et in hora mortis
Ave Maria
[/quote]

Haven't had time to work up a perfect translation but here's the gist of it:

Hail Mary
Full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is Jesus
The fruit of thy womb
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and in the hour of our death

[quote="Flourgirl"]
I still like it, and will continue to listen to it... :roll:
[/quote]

I thought as Christians that we were to do all to the glory of God, to put all in our lives under the scrutiny of the Scriptures?

Seems like listening to and enjoying a song that glorifies and worships Mary would be an abomination in the Lord's eyes, and something a true Christian should never partake in.

This isn't even a question of musical styles, but of content. Someone may argue that they only listen to an instrumental of it; however it was a song designed to worship Mary, in honour of her. To listen to it cannot be pleasing to God - and it must offend Him everytime it is on the radio or played.

This is deeply disturbing...

Abstain from all appearance of evil, people...

I have a feeling if the Father tarries much longer, in 10 years the fundie Baptist boards are gonna be debating the validity of another tune...:

"Long live the Pope!
His praises sound
Again and yet again:
His rule is over space and time:
His throne the heart of men:
All hail! The Shepherd Pope of Rome,
The theme of loving song:
Let all the earth his glory sing
And heav

Haven't had time to work up a perfect translation but here's the gist of it:

Hail Mary
Full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is Jesus
The fruit of thy womb
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and in the hour of our death

I have heard this song but never knew that it was a part of the Rosary. Thanks for posting this.

Hail Mary full of grace... is the prayer of confession for the Catholics isn't it?
It is a song about Mary... Just because I think that it is a beautiful melody, does not mean that I worship Mary, or have anything to do with the Catholic church. If it happens to be on the radio, then I will listen... if not, then I won't go looking for it on the radio dial.

I'll have to definately agree, as a former Roman Catholic, we should not be listening to Ave Maria! It is veneration of Mary. I have a fit when I am asked to sing Ave Maria in a wedding ceremony in a baptist church! Some folks who were not raised catholic or know any Latin do so in ignorance, but those who read the posts on this topic are without excuse!
Now there is a wedding music book, I think is put out by Bob Jones/Majesty Music. I don't have the title, but someone took the melody of Ave MAria and put Christian lyrics to it. I personally don't use it because of the association, but those who don't feel that way might enjoy that alternative. Hollar if anyone needs the title. I have to go find it.

DQ

Mary Worship, which is an integral part of the RCC, really comes into full view in all of its ugliness when we realize that the RCC is Babylonianism today. The RCC all down thru the ages would simply go into a culture and adopt it by changing the names and titles of things in those pagan cultures. You can actually see this for yourself just by going to Saint Peter's basilica in Rome and looking at the statues. The Statue of St. Peter is actually the statue of Jupiter, who was the chief of the Roman gods. The RCC simply changed the name of it, but kept the same image. The Bible calls this cult of Babylonianism the Mystery of Iniquity. Worship of Mary is actually worshipping the [size=16][i][b]Queen of Heaven[/b][/i][/size].

[u][b]Jer 7:18[/b][/u] The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

[u][b]Jer 44:17[/b][/u] But we will certainly do, whatsoever, thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.

[u][b]Jer 44:18[/b][/u] But since, we left off to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all things, and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine.

[u][b]Jer 44:25 [/b][/u] Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform, our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish your vows, and surely perform, your vows.

Lightgaffer, you hit the core of the issue, where this practice originated opens our eyes. the sad part is most don't even know the history behind what they are practicing. oh, that people would follow the Lord Jesus Christ with this unquestioning faith.
the question today, for all believers is will we bow the knee to baal or will we save that exclusivly for the Lord?

[quote]
the question today, for all believers is will we bow the knee to baal or [i][b]will we save that exclusivly for the Lord?[/b][/i]
[/quote]

Hi Linda,

Actually, I think [i][b]you[/b][/i] hit the very root and core in your statement above. :D

[quote]
Actually, I think [b]you[/b] hit the very root and core in your statement above.
[/quote]

Lightgaffer, you are right it is a personal issue! if i remember correctly Jesus addressed Peter about this issue too.

No christian ever wants to fail the Lord but what we fail to realize as believers today is that the what God said is true. When God says we have an adversary it is not to be taken lightly.
My prayer is that the Lord help me to learn of Him so that when i am faced with the heat of the battle i will remain strong because i have hidden His Word within my heart. i have His Spirit and His Word to guide and direct me in my time of need.

Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

I remember doing this song in high school, and I had qualms about it. But I never spoke up about it - guess I wasn't very strong then. Even though I don't know Latin, I kind of got the gist of it. Just the "ave Maria" part told me it was a song of worship, of prayer, to Mary.