• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Guest

Drums

[quote="auburn_tiger"]
JM,

I would be very careful as to what style of music I would want in my church. I don't like most CCM because it sounds too much like rock music, i.e. Petra, DcTalk, POD, and others.

I would also be careful as to what instruments I would have in the chruch. I don't have a problem with using an electric guitar, drums, bass guitar ect. but I don't think it would convey a proper setting for a church setting. I also don't have a problem with using tracks that have these instruments being used.
[/quote]

I would be careful as well. This is why many chruch's have multiple services. Mainly a couple of traditional services, and a contemporary one.

Mainly, it's the Senior Citizens that go to the early traditional service. Families, go to the mid-morning traditional service, and the younger population goes to the later contemporary service.

Yes, I think it would be highly inappropriate to perform a Sonic Flood version of a traditional praise and worship song to a church full of senior citizens. But I don't think it would be inappropriate in the slightest to sing such music in a church full of 18-28 year old young adults.

But I do agree with you. Yes, I would be very careful.

[quote="jmwhiten"]
[quote="auburn_tiger"]
What I wrote was in response to what you said about using worldly methods and I gave an example of using a worldly method to minister. I think that you can use music as a method to get people into church or a special service to hear the gospel which is nothing wrong in that.
[/quote] It would be my belief that if the music embodies the love of Christ, regardless of what instrunments are used, or the style in which they are played, it isn't a worldly method, but God's method. I know that alot here would disagree, as do most IFB. But we are starting to see a move away from that. A gurantee, as slowly as most IFB churches are letting praise and worship songs into their services, next century, when the style of music has vastly changed, that IFB churches will be saying that if it isn't 20th/21st century praise and worship, then it doesn't belong in church.

In some ways, I'm reminded of the old man sitting at the dinner table, popping his dentures into his mouth so he can speak, and then telling the young ones "I'll tell you something about those dagburn computers. They're evil I tell ya! I remember when we did everything with a pen and paper. It was easier and more efficient! These dagburn computers have only made things more complicated. They'll lead to mankind's own destruction, you just wait and see"[/quote]

Would you be so quick to accept homosexuality or same-sex marriage??? Come on..it isn't always a matter of innocent progress...

Remember ..there's nothing new under the sun. It's all recycled...Satan is nothing if not UNoriginal... :frog

[quote="grace2u"]
Would you be so quick to accept homosexuality or same-sex marriage??? Come on..it isn't always a matter of innocent progress...

Remember ..there's nothing new under the sun. It's all recycled...Satan is nothing if not UNoriginal... :frog
[/quote]
What does music that glorifies Christ (and some of you question whether or not if it does) and sexual practices that God clearly defines as an abomination have to do with each other. That was a very bad analogy.

Quoted by jmwhitten...."It would be my belief that if the music embodies the love of Christ, regardless of what instrunments are used, or the style in which they are played, it isn't a worldly method, but God's method"

So...the question is...what criteria does one use to discern if music is embodying the love of Christ...??????

What is your criteria???? What does the bible say????

I think what JM is trying to say is that the instruments don't make music Christian or rock but how they are played that determines whether the music is Christian or rock.

One of the reasons why I like Southern Gospel besides the lyrics is even though they may use the same instruments that a rock band would they don't even closely to rock music.

Guest Guest
I have to say, there is a big difference between music that makes you tap your feet, and music that makes you dance in a sensual way! When Jerry mentioned the dancing to music with a worldly beat, it was very clear what kind of dancing he meant. Rock music causes the body to respond in a certain way. If music makes you want to tap your foot, or clap your hands, that doesn't necessarily make it wrong. If it makes you want to move immodestly, that is completely different.

No one here is against CCM because it's new. (Personally, I love new music. I have a music degree with a major in composition. I daresay I'd be just about the last person to condemn music because it's new.) The age of the music is irrelevent.

[quote]
Yes, I think it would be highly inappropriate to perform a Sonic Flood version of a traditional praise and worship song to a church full of senior citizens. But I don't think it would be inappropriate in the slightest to sing such music in a church full of 18-28 year old young adults.
[/quote]

Why?

How can something be inappropriate for one age group yet okay for another?

AGAIN>......a lot of this argument about "rock" music is NOT necessary here on this forum....

4) No rock music or Christian rock music posts

We understand that this is a sensitive topic to some. Feel free to ask why we believe that Rock music and Christian Rock is wrong, but please do so with a right attitude. Any rock music post that does not honor or glorify God will be deleted by the Administration or Moderators.

This is what this board stands on...and this is what we believe....AGAIN...we exist for the purpose of like minded fellowship....

You all have a right to your views...but that won't change the stand on this site....sorry!!! :(

[quote="Kitagrl"]
How can something be inappropriate for one age group yet okay for another?
[/quote]

For the same reason you wouldn't buy your grandpa Kawasaki ZX-12R over an electric powered scooter.

And for the same reason you wouldn't take your grandmother shopping for an Acura NSX instead of a conventional sedan.

Both get the same job done. They get you from point A to point B. They both have tires. And they both are driven pretty much the same way. If her grandson told her price wasn't an option, do you think she'd pick the NSX? Probably not. Now why is that?

[quote="grace2u"]
OK...so we ARE using worldly logic.... :?

Again..I ask...what is your scriptural basis for defining God honoring music???
[/quote]

Amen. There is none, it is called legalism. Thats exactly what the pharisees were, Jesus condemned such behavior.

[quote="Mr.Frodo"]
[quote="grace2u"]OK...so we ARE using worldly logic.... :?

Again..I ask...what is your scriptural basis for defining God honoring music???
[/quote]

Amen. There is none, it is called legalism. Thats exactly what the pharisees were, Jesus condemned such behavior.[/quote]

Actually Mr. Foto, if you have read the entire thread, you will see that Grace2U is not saying that there is no scriptural basis for God honoring music, she is asking a question to someone who doesn't believe there is any.

If we don't have a scriptual basis for God honoring music we might as well throw our Bibles away. We should have a scriptual basis for everything that we do.

[quote]
We should have a scriptual basis for everything that we do.
[/quote]

A hearty AMEN, Ben. :D :D

It is for that very reason that a lot of us IFB-types observe the phrase,

[b]"The KJV is our sole authority for all faith and practice."[/b]

Here is a simple Biblical principle concerning music:

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;" (Ephesians 5:18-19).

Great passage, but it no one where makes hymns exclusive. Also, the hymns we sing now days I'm sure are not the same as the hyms back then, they did not have organs or pianos or violins.

Has anyone else noticed that every single verse in the Bible where we are commanded to sing, every single one deals with either a psalm, hymn, or spiritual song or praise to our LORD?

Have you also noticed that there was no such thing as rock back then? or bluegrass? or country? or classical music? Are we supposed to live in 60 AD for the rest of our lives?
Do you know what eisogesis and exegesis mean?
eisogesis is what a person pushes on scripture
exegesis is what a person draws from scripture
The statement you made on the Ephessians passage and every other statement saying rock is evil are all eisogetical statements.

[quote="BrotherBen"]
Has anyone else noticed that every single verse in the Bible where we are commanded to sing, every single one deals with either a psalm, hymn, or spiritual song or praise to our LORD?
[/quote]

Amen!!Good point Bro. Ben!!

kayla :)

Frodo wrote::
[quote]
Have you also noticed that there was no such thing as rock back then? or bluegrass? or country? or classical music? Are we supposed to live in 60 AD for the rest of our lives?
Do you know what eisogesis and exegesis mean?
eisogesis is what a person pushes on scripture
exegesis is what a person draws from scripture
The statement you made on the Ephessians passage and every other statement saying rock is evil are all eisogetical statements
[/quote]

I tell you what I notice:::::::::::::::

When someone gets convicted of a sin or something they know from the Holy spirit is wrong, they will do one of two things. They will either get right with the LORD, and seek forgiveness, [b]OR[/b], they will get hyper, raise their intensity of speech, and start using all manner of high-sounding words, with a more determined effort than ever to justify themself. Just an observation, no accusations here.

Frodo, you say there was no rock music back then. I beg to differ. there has always been Satanic music in the devil's crowd, and [size=16][i][b]they used drums[/b][/i][/size]. Was it rocky??? You can bet your life on it, it was indeed.

Now the question:::::::::::::::

What was the purpose of the drums in those satanic rituals????? This is a very true fact, now, so listen up close.

the drums were used to work the people up into a frenzy, and to drown out the screams of the young virgin boys and girls and babies as they were being murdered for human sacrifices. Do you think that is inaccurate. Please do a study of those cultures before you answer. Also, the beat or rhythm of the Beatles some years back, is identical to the drum cadence of the Druids as they performed their human sacrifices.

Guest Guest
[quote]
Exodus 32:17-18
17 And when Joshua heard the noise of the people as they shouted, he said unto Moses, There is a noise of war in the camp. 18 And he said, It is not the voice of them that shout for mastery, neither is it the voice of them that cry for being overcome: but the noise of them that sing do I hear.
[/quote]

No, God doesn't expect us to stay in 60 AD. Every generation has its own new music; some of it is pleasing to the Lord, and some isn't. Ungodly music has always been here. It wasn't invented by Elvis. In the passage above, the Israelites are committing idolatry, and it is interesting to note that the music they use is not at all the style they used to worship the Lord. It was so violent-sounding that Joshua didn't even recognise it as music! It certainly didn't glorify the Lord, that's for sure.

Today it is no different. We have a huge number of musical styles to choose from. Some of them are appropriate for a Christian, and some aren't; we have to apply Biblical principles and set our standards by them.

hee hee. Look at that. I never said a word about drums... oh, well, it's a poor board that can't afford [i]one sorta[/i] off-topic poster. *grin*

As a composer of both secular classical and sacred music, I use drums regularly in my compositions. However, they are under control. In the popular music of today, the drums are often out of control. They drown out the rest of the music and often one can hear the drums and not any notes or the words.

This is not the type of music that is intended to honor God. If God wants us to have order in our lives, our families, and our church, why would he accept this sort of disorder in our music.

If anyone is looking for a good book on this topic, check out [i]Music in the Balance[/i] by Frank Garlock and Kurt Woetzel. It is an excellent book on this topic.

Guest Guest
Yes; that book is excellent. Also The Battle for Christian Music, by Tim Fisher.
I own both. :mrgreen: