• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Guest

Drums

Guest Guest
Are drums or other percussion instruments wrong to use or play in a church setting?

LOL, Cathy...aren't you opening a can of worms since I know you won't go against what you are used to in your church and you also know some people on here don't believe in it?

:lol: Have fun...

Guest Guest
[quote]
LOL, Cathy...aren't you opening a can of worms since I know you won't go against what you are used to in your church and you also know some people on here don't believe in it?
[/quote]

Actualy you assume too much. Didn't know some don't believe it, But hay since you already posted, what is your belief?

I really don't know...actually earlier today I saw something about someone not agreeing with drums in church on this board and so I thought you got the idea from another thread.

Actually I would normally say "no drums" but then I know your church and their high standards and so for this topic I shrug my shoulders and say "Discuss all ya want". :lol:

Depends on what "type drum " you mean .

The kind a band would use I see no problem with ,I do have a worry about the rock and roll type .

Nahhh, not chicken... :D I only get myself in trouble over things I have Bible verses for...I get enough trouble in those threads, I don't feel like getting involved in something that #1 I don't have Scripture for and #2 I don't have a definite black and white belief on.

Have fun!

[quote="Wildflower"]
Are drums or other percussion instruments wrong to use or play in a church setting?
[/quote]

Where did drums come from in the first place? How did they become accepted in North America?

There were some hand percussion instruments in the Bible - such as timbrels. The piano is also considered a percussion instrument.

For clarity's sake, I have a problem with drums, not with these other types of instruments - though I would have a problem with bongos for the same reason.

When I consider the groups and churches that use drums and notice their movement into the contemporary stream, I don't want that in my church - nor do I want it in my house. Drums are the backbeat of the world's music. It is sad that more and more churches are incorporating drums into their "worship".

What types of drums are we referring to. I think a drum set would give an appearance of inappropriate music.

In general I am fully supportive of fully orchestrated music.

Guest Guest
[quote]
When I consider the groups and churches that use drums and notice their movement into the contemporary stream,
[/quote]

Well I can say my church has been around since 1970, and I guarentee it is probably one of the most traditional, conservative churches you will ever find.

Anyway, it doesn't have to lead to contemporary, it only happens to do so by mishandling of the music ministry and the music director appeal to fleshly music.

Guest Guest
[quote]
In general I am fully supportive of fully orchestrated music.
[/quote]

We have a full orchestra,

Maybe if we all play nice with this thread, Pastor Jeff Voegtlin can link us to some of the good music I am reffering to.

You will see what I am talking about, or hear.

[quote="Wildflower"]
Anyway, it doesn't have to lead to contemporary, it only happens to do so by mishandling of the music ministry and the music director appeal to fleshly music.
[/quote]

Doesn't have to, but all too often it does! I think one of the main reasons MOST churches use drums in church and Christian music is because they have not left the music of the world, and still either listen to "secular rock" or are at least used to that type of music (whether Christian or not). It is a documented fact that most CCM artists still listen to and praise the secular artists that they strive to imitate or learn from.

Guest Guest
Jerry Backslidding doesn't have to happen, doesn't mean every Christian is going to do it.

With the music ministry I would dare say it doesn't take a careful balance. If you stay away from the world in the first place, you are not going to be like the world in the second place.

Anyway, I am no music person, just took a liberal arts music appreciation class from a liberal college.

Drums in of themselves are not evil. Drums are inanimate objects, it is the heart of the person that plays the drums that one must be careful on.

'nuff said, I think we agree.

[quote="Wildflower"]
Drums in of themselves are not evil. Drums are inanimate objects, it is the heart of the person that plays the drums that one must be careful on.
[/quote]

Actually, in this case we don't. I have studied out the origin of drums and cannot tolerate it in Christian music. Many other modern day instruments (wind, string, timbrels, etc. in one form or another) are ones that have been used and condoned by God in worship (ie. the Temple services). Drums are not mentioned in the Bible, though they existed back then. David created different type of stringed instruments to praise God with. I don't believe drums were created to praise God, but to praise and worship the Devil (or devils, ie. demons).

No, a church doesn't have to go astray - if they stay separated from the world. One of the things to stay away from, I firmly believe, is drums (the fleshly backbeat) and the world's music.

Guest Guest
I may be wrong here remember I am not music literate But it is the back beat of the drums you are worried about, it is the syncapation.

Not all Christian music that uses drums uses syncapation.

I think there must be a clarification of the type of drum in question.

A drum set (trap set) where the bass drum, snare drum, hi hat, suspended cymbal, etc. are all played by one person, while not sinful in and of itself, definitely tends toward and appears worldly.

A snare drum, a bass drum, and cymbals used separately and played by separate individuals, while they could be used to make the same sound as a drum set, usually do not. For instance, most marches, and classical music.

We also must be careful to keep separate what is played on an instrument and the instrument. A back-beat can be played on a drum set, in a percussion section, or for that matter, it could be played by the most "godly" instruments ever invented. The melody, harmony, and rhythm are all separate from the instrumentation and can all be played by all types of instruments (brass, woodwind, percussion, and strings).

Obviously, I do not believe drums are wrong to use in worship, but I do believe they can more easily be "abused" in worship.

I probably haven't said everything that I wanted to when I started this reply, so I'll try to keep up with this thread to clarify my thoughts if that's necessary.

I ,personal do not like to see drums in any church service. I went to a revival meeting last year at a friends church and some of that churches members were swaying back and forth and really going alittle too far with all that beat and rhythm and clapping the hands and beginning to do all kinds of turns and tapping of the toes and who knows where it went from that point. I felt like I might have felt if I had ever gone to a dance hall of sort. Oh, well, that is just my own personal thoughts and views on this particular issue.

Thanks Jeff.

I do not have the same problem with drums in an orchestra (never thought about it until this thread, so bear with me), as they do not dominate and are not the backbeat of the whole thing. This is more like what Jeff was talking about. Though in a church (whatever you want to call it) "band" or music group , I do have a problem with it - as it does dominate then.

[quote="Wildflower"]
[quote]In general I am fully supportive of fully orchestrated music.
[/quote]

We have a full orchestra,

Maybe if we all play nice with this thread, Pastor Jeff Voegtlin can link us to some of the good music I am reffering to.

You will see what I am talking about, or hear.[/quote]

Is there a way to do this? If so, let me know and I'll try to set it up and let you all have the link, if that's how it would be done.

Wildflower,
I agree with you ...
It's not the instrument, but the heart of the istrumentalist!!
As long as they are played the right way, I see nothing wrong with drums in the church.
If a pastor is not scared of his deacon board, or congregation, he can decern how they are being played, and take care of the the problem if there should ever be one to arise.
I was the piano player for three years at our former
church (which is FIB).We had a set of drums and they were played in the RIGHT WAY!!!

Jerry,
This goes right along with what we have been discussing (just for teens/music??)!!! :mrgreen:
It was not the drums that were wicked!
It was the Africans who practiced voodoo, and worshiped pagan gods!!
This is kind of like the sinner and Christ!!
He does not hate the sinner, but the sin!
And like a computer!
You can use it for a Godly purpose, or for a wicked one!! :lol: :lol:

Guest Guest
Orchestral percussion isn't a problem for me. Those instruments are just used for color. Drum sets are set up and designed for an entirely different purpose, and though, yes, technically, you could play those instruments in that setup the same way you'd hear them in an orchestra, that's just not the way it turns out in practice.

I do not think that having drums in the church is wrong, if they are played in an appropriate manner. I did love the band/orchestra while I was at Fairhaven. It was beautiful!

P.S. A sample of the music for us to hear would be great!!!! Hint Hint :lol:

Article Categories

About Us

Since 2001, Online Baptist has been an Independent Baptist website, and we exclusively use the King James Version of the Bible. We pride ourselves on a community that uplifts the Lord.

Contact Us

You can contact us using the following link. Contact Us or for questions regarding this website please contact @pastormatt or email James Foley at jfoley@sisqtel.net

Android App

Online Baptist has a custom App for all android users. You can download it from the Google Play store or click the following icon.