• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

women speaking in church?

That I knew! I've just been reading and I was geting the impression that women should NEVER speak in service and I thought maybe that included AMEN! Might sound stupid to you but it was very inportant to me! pixiedust

John-Thank you! Will you explain to me what no talking by women in the church means? I know this probably is sounding stupid but does that mean just during service ? pixiedust Does this mean if the Pastor ask about imput on say a bus ministry that I need to keep quiet? Should only my husband speak? I'm just pulling an example out of thin air. I'm trying to understand! pixiedust :hide

• Members

Scripture indicates early church services were much more interactive than they are today. It seems there were some problems with some women constantly asking questions during the services so they are admonished to keep quiet at church and ask their husbands these questions at home. There is also the matter that women are not to be teachers over men or hold positions of authority over men, which can be a factor as well.

This doesn't mean a woman must zip her lip when she steps into church and not speak again until she leaves. This is referring to during church services. Much of this is about proper order.

A saved husband should take the time, and have the patience, to instruct his wife and to hear her questions and provide answers. At the same time, a saved wife should reverence her husband and look to him first for answers.

What if the husband doesn't have the answer and never reads their Bible so they'll never find the answer that way. Is it always proper to go ask the pastor? I'm always worried because they (the Pastor) seems so busy. I've tried asking the pastor's wife but she say's only the Pastor is to answer questions like that so is it ok if I just ask here? As long as my husband is ok with it of course. pixiedust

• Members
What if the husband doesn't have the answer and never reads their Bible so they'll never find the answer that way. Is it always proper to go ask the pastor? I'm always worried because they (the Pastor) seems so busy. I've tried asking the pastor's wife but she say's only the Pastor is to answer questions like that so is it ok if I just ask here? As long as my husband is ok with it of course. pixiedust

There is nothing wrong with seeking answers elsewhere or in asking your pastor. Some pastors are very busy and one needs to make an appointment to see them. That's one way to meet with your pastor to ask questions. While our pastor is busy, most often he will make the time even at the spur of the moment to spend time with them.

Places such as this are excellent for all of us to ask questions, seek clarification, enjoy some fellowship and develop friendships with fellow Believers.

• Members
oops forgot. what if you husband does not go to church. and you have children.

Pray. The Lord will always provide a way for us to obey His Word. Women are not to speak out during a service but that doesn't mean they can't talk to the pastor at another time or seek out mature Christian women who could disciple them or attend an adult or ladies Bible study or Sunday school.

• Members

While I VERY rarely "speak out" during a service, I do occasionally ask questions when our pastor opens the floor for comments and discussion. I've also spoken out with a word of praise or testimony (when invited to do so--everything is done in order). Same with prayer requests, questions about visiting missionaries' presentations, etc. I also occasionally pray aloud in mixed company, as all are praying together (directed by the pastor or another male leader, of course). I agree with John (and Scripture :smile) that women are NOT to be the primary speakers in the church, as in the "leaders" of the services. If women are monopolizing testimony, prayer, and/or discussion times, then there's something seriously wrong with that church's focus and leadership.

I personally have never spoken out in a church business meeting, even though I don't think other women who do so are wrong--again, only if the pastor is leading the meeting and inviting comments. The idea given in Scripture is that women are not to USURP the male authority in the church in any way, whether that means instructing men by preaching/exhorting, or monopolizing meetings, or simply quietly manipulating behind the scenes, by undermining people's confidence in the church's leadership (by gossiping, etc.). IMO, it is not usurping male authority to speak in turn, give prayer requests, or even to pray aloud in a gathering of believers...IF this is what the pastor has directed me to do.