• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

If someone gets saved?

Guest Guest

If you saw someone get saved and started witnessing. This means they are bearing friut,right? How can you know if they're saved? How do you deal with someone like that? Do you just stay with what they say that they are saved? or do you have someone challenge that? pixiedust

• Members

Bearing fruit isn't a one time thing, but rather a lifetime happening. Bearing fruit pertains to how we live, speak, dress, what we do and don't do, our attitude, everything.

If we have reason to be concerned about anothers salvation, that's always something worthy of taking to the Lord in prayer. Sometimes the Lord may have us to wait and continue praying. Other times the Lord may lead us to talk with the person.

I knew a guy when I was in university who professed to be born again. He could quote many Scriptures, knew the Bible and was open about his faith and witnessed. However there were many areas in his life he specifically refused to turn over to Christ and many things in his life he made excuses for rather than admitting or even accepting they were sin. More and more this person began spending time with the radical blacks. His attitude greatly changed for the worse and he began to express what would become hatred for all whites and "white America". Eventually he renounced Christianity as "the white man's religion", a "religion for the weak and cowards" and became a Black Muslim.

Scripture tells us of those who were a part of the early church who broke away from the church and began following and teaching lies. Scripture tells us those people, who appeared to be believers at first, were never truly believers at all.

The Word of God warns us that we should examine our own salvation so that we know it is true and sure.

Thank you! So I will just be praying unless the Lord tells me otherwise Pixiedust By the way I don't think you even realize what a minisry you have here at on-lone Baptist!! I'm so grateful for your biblical answers and your patience!

• Members

The scenario you present in the OP sounds more like... Matthew 13:22 "He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful." not at all like... Matthew 13:23 "But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."

John 15:16 "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you."

There are fruits of the Spirit (Gal. 5.22 and Eph. 5.9), as He works inwardly which, others see in us outwardly. I believe these are they that confirm to usward that we are the children of God and others are caused to consider God...Romans 8:16 "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:"

The other fruits of witnessing to others with the Gospel of Christ. As we like to say, "planting the seed," in reference to sharing God's Word. The fruit we pray for here is another tree born of the Spirit into life through Christ. Acts 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

• Members
So I'm just going to be real clear. Do you think this is a backslidden or unsaved person? Pixiedust

That would probably be difficult to answer with a certainty just from this thread.

One would have to consider how long they have professed to be saved, how long did they appear to walk as a Christian, how long have they been walking in sin since then, exactly how they deal with the issue of their sin when confronted, can they give a clear testimony and understanding of the Gospel, etc.

It's possible for a child of God to backslide. It's possible such a state could last for weeks, months, even years. We know that God will call the wayward back and will chastize them if they refuse to heed His call. Some Christians will return soon, others walk in rebellion much longer before they finally pay heed to the Lord and return, and there are some who never repent and the Lord brings their life here to an end.

Keeping them in prayer is the best answer. If there is any chance that someone might be able to reach them then such should be attempted. If they reject such attempts all we can do is keep them in prayer.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
If you saw someone get saved and started witnessing. This means they are bearing friut' date='right? But then they go back into the world. I don't mean sin' by default or lack of growth but sin's that the world recognizes is sin. How can you know if they're saved? How do you deal with someone like that? Do you just stay with what they say that they are saved? or do you have someone challenge that? pixiedust[/quote']

Let me ask you this? How do you that people that are out there working for the Lord are saved? We don't. There are many people that serve the Lord that may not be saved.
Some people believe that as people win souls that this is evidence of salvation. I am not sure that I would agree with this line of thinking. I believe the fruit the scripture is speaking of is the fruit of the Spirit. When the believer is saved others will see the fruit of the Spirit manifest in their lives. Gal 5:22,23
Scripture states that he who winneth souls is wise. I believe this scripture coincides with the Matt 28:19,20

• Members

:goodpost:

I knew a professing Christian who used to witness and proclaim his faith openly but he was lacking in the fruit of the Spirit. To most, he seemed to be a true and sincere Christian. However, since he was lacking in fruit and refused to give up many worldly things, I always wondered if he were truly saved or not. Eventually, this man dropped his Bible and became a very hateful Black Muslim. :sad

As we are told in First John, such have left because they were never truly of us to begin with.

• Members
If you saw someone get saved and started witnessing. This means they are bearing friut' date='right? But then they go back into the world. I don't mean sin' by default or lack of growth but sin's that the world recognizes is sin. How can you know if they're saved? How do you deal with someone like that? Do you just stay with what they say that they are saved? or do you have someone challenge that? pixiedust[/quote']

If you look at folks to closely you'll begin to think nobody is saved including yourself. You can't know they're saved. Only God and the devil knows if they are or not.

• Members

:goodpost:

I know those who are believe got saved ( saw a radical change) then got back into sin. The results are the conseqences and chastizment. If there is no chatizment from the Lord they are not saved.

But the point was stated above. No one really knows but God.

When I was saved the change was so radical there was no mistake. Though I battle sin, I hate sin. Ive backslid before, all Christians do at some point to some degree.

I know a man who backslid for 14 years. Got into numerous sins. Then was at the brink of killing himself. He pulled the trigger and the gun didnt go off. He knew God had spared him and returned to the Lord. Today he is one of the most faithful and tender hearted Christians I know today.

I also know those who are very "religious" and you would think they were saved, but by testamony I know they are not.
Does the fruit of the spirit apply, do they hate sin even though they may battle a sin or sins. Do they love the bretheren.

Ok ive rambled on about points already made. Again, only God can know, and I think the person can know based on the word of God :thumb

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm a little confused...

Again' date=' only God can know[/quote']

This is what Catholicism teaches, but I've heard plenty of times where Catholics are criticized for this belief. We are told that if we think only God knows, then we don't believe the bible? Is there a double standard?

Can anyone explain?