• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Do You Prepare Sunday Dinner (Noon Meal)?

What Do You Do For Sunday Dinner???  

1. 1. What Do You Do For Sunday Dinner???

• Crockpot meal prepared Sunday morning before going to church.
    • Crockpot meal prepared Saturday.
    • Roast in the oven with potatoes, carrots, onions, and other veggies Sunday morning before church
    • A roast in the oven on Saturday and enough for several meals.
    • Go out to a restaurant (Chinese buffet)
    • Go out to a restaurant (Other buffet)
    • Go out to a restaurant (menu)
    • Take turns with several other families hosting the dinner, and circulating as in a round-robin.
    • Other

• Members

I have always been the type to plan/prepare a HUGE meal for Sunday lunch. One day it dawned on me that I was creating a lot of unnecessary stress for myself. Why couldn't we just have BLT's and chips? Wow!! What a concept!! (My hubby pointed out that he had been telling me for quite a while to stop cooking such a large meal... :D )

I still like to cook a larger meal IF I crockpot it, or if I cook it the night before. Sundays are just too stressful to slave over a stove.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

[quote]
How do you perpare Sunday Dinner ?
[/quote]

Usually for Sunday Dinner we have a sandwich or leftovers (if there are any) :lol: About twice a month we have a large Sunday Evening meal ... a roast from the crock pot or something like that.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Here is another main dish that reheats well and quickly...

Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves

1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1 pound lean ground beef
2/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 - 1/2 tsp mustard

In a bowl, beat the egg and milk. Stir in cheese, oats, onion and salt. Add beef and mix well. Shape into eight loaves; place on a greased broiling pan rack. Combine ketchup, brown sugar and mustard; spoon over loaves. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
YIELD: 8 servings

These can be made ahead and used the next day or frozen. Reheat them at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes.

• Members

May I suggest the crockpot recipe book called, [i][b][u]Fix It And Forget It Cookbook[/u].[/b][/i] It is loaded with casserole dishes all made in your crockpot. You could assemble any number of those meals, store them in your freezer, and then rethaw before using. Then at time of need, simply place in crockpot and turn the thing on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Usually I will get up early and put a roast with all the vegatables in the roaster and by the time we leave for S.S. it is normally ready but if not I turn down the oven very low and it will finish, although, I do not like to ever leave my home with the oven on but I do at times and sure hope that i will never wish I had not done so. Then alot of times I will put on something in the crock pot late Saturday night.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

I am alone at home so I dont always tend to cook a meal. usually my breakfast and lunch are my bigger meals. I find because I have to be picked up by 430 or 5:00 by the church van I sometimes only have a can of ensure or I will throw soy milk, berry mix, protein powder, ground flax, maple syrup and sometimes berry flavoured tofu into the blender and have that for my meal. Other times I may throw a sweet potato in the microwave and open butternut squash soup for my supper. or maybe at other times just a salad.

• Members

Reading thru all of this I could not help but think about those Sunday dinners I grew up having after church, wow, they were good.

I always love it when our pastor would eat with us, those were some real good dinners. Usually on those days we had fried chicken, it was surely good, home grown of course.

I'm not much of a breakfast person in the early morning, on Sunday morning we have a biscuit and sausage.

We use to go to a place that would serve breakfast anytime, but they shut down, I love a breakfast of scramble eggs, bacon or sausage and toast, or even pancakes, but not early morning, it would be alright to me to have such a breakfast at dinner and supper both, but not in the early morning!

Now we usually come home for dinner, sometimes we have breakfast sometimes and or something that was cooked on Saturday evening.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Well...

when I am at home....we walk in the door. I get the electric skilet going...then I get dressed for cooking while it's heating up. Then I peel about 7 potatoes...cut them up then I put them to boiling. Then I get the chicken out that I had in the fridge thawing all night. Then I start frying it while the potatoes are cooking. Then I get a jar of green beans from the pantry that we canned. And cut up some veggies from the garden. And then complete the meal about 1 pm.