• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Do You Prepare Sunday Dinner (Noon Meal)?

What Do You Do For Sunday Dinner???  

1. 1. What Do You Do For Sunday Dinner???

• Crockpot meal prepared Sunday morning before going to church.
    • Crockpot meal prepared Saturday.
    • Roast in the oven with potatoes, carrots, onions, and other veggies Sunday morning before church
    • A roast in the oven on Saturday and enough for several meals.
    • Go out to a restaurant (Chinese buffet)
    • Go out to a restaurant (Other buffet)
    • Go out to a restaurant (menu)
    • Take turns with several other families hosting the dinner, and circulating as in a round-robin.
    • Other

• Members

We used to go out to eat just about every Sunday to give me a day off. We don't do that much anymore now that I'm not working. So we have gone back to what we both grew up on. Pasta dinner with the works. Homemade sauce, Italian bread(sometimes garlic), nice salad, and of course your choice of pasta. My favorite is frozen cheese ravioli, Matt's is plain ol ziti.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

We do a variety of things - use the crockpot a lot in the summer, and the oven a lot in the winter. On the fourth of July, we put a roast on the grill after we were done cooking our hamburgers (we like to use up all the charcoal, so none goes to waste). I froze it and saved it for the next Sunday - made the best roast beef sandwiches!!! Mmmmmm! Tender and juicy - and quick! We don't live very far from church, but my hubby works nights; he's ready to eat as soon as we get home so he can get to bed, so I try to have quick meals.

• Members

Lately, my wife has been making "crockpot-chicken w/mushroom sauce" before we leave for church, although this last Sunday it was beef tips in the same sauce-recipe.

I have to say that there is something to do with her kitchen-technique that makes her preparations simply outtttta this world. :hungry: :drool :java: Yea verily, I have been curious for years so this time I thought I'd help in the kitchen. She didn't know it but I was "mentally" sitting right on her shoulder watching her every move. We could say that I was "going to school" on her. :lol::eye::eye: :ears: :ears: :ears: :ears:

Here are my findings::::::::: :clap::clap::clap::clap:

#1. When she browns/sears the (thawed) beef-cubes in a large skillet (prior to putting them into the crockpot) she will add "too much" water at first, and simmer them for about 8 to 10 minutes, and then pour most of that liquid into the crockpot.

#2. She'll put the skillet-full of beef-cubes back onto the burner and continue browning until that is done.

#3. She empties the skillet of browned beef-cubes into the crock-pot and then with a sharp stainless-steel spatula she'll scrape the skillet clean of all the "brownings" and pours that into the crockpot, as well.

***Apparently all of these juices and broth-gleanings from the meat greatly enhance her gravy/sauce in the crock-pot and make it so good and savory. :lol

After we come from church she makes a pot of wide-noodles and a green veggie, typically steamed green peas or broccoli florets.

I simply must tell you that kings and queens and pharoahs of Ancient Egypt didn't have culinary arts as fine as what my sweet wife puts together. :Green :thumb :clap: :clap:

• Members

I simply must tell you that kings and queens and pharoahs of Ancient Egypt didn't have culinary arts as fine as what my sweet wife puts together

She needs to send some of that my way, I have no cooking ablility at all. I can bake though.

• Members
I simply must tell you that kings and queens and pharoahs of Ancient Egypt didn't have culinary arts as fine as what my sweet wife puts together

She needs to send some of that my way, I have no cooking ablility at all. I can bake though.

You sound just like our (32 year old ) daughter---> she puts together some of the finest baked confections on earth, but her cooking still could use some practice. :Green

• Members

I have been doing crockpot stew for 9 years. I try to put it together on Saturday but that doesn't always work out. I also put my 2 breadmakers to work on Sunday morning. (Nope, not my girls; the electric kind :lol )

It's our tradition to walk in and take a big whiff of that yumminess waiting for us.

• Members

You sound just like our (32 year old ) daughter---> she puts together some of the finest baked confections on earth, but her cooking still could use some practice. :Green

Must be the age, I'm 33. Did moms just like to cook so much in the 80's that they left the baking to their girls?

Guest Guest

My church has a "potluck" meal every Sunday in between services. Usually about two thirds of the regular members come. What can I say, its a baptist church, we like potluck dinners. :cool