Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Whats for Supper...

Rate this topic

Flourgirl

• Administrators
18 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I'll be praying for the service. We don't always get to go to Wednesday services, as my wife get's home right around the time they start. I don't drive much anymore, and our services start at 6 PM instead of 7 like most Baptist churches I've been in. 

Brother Tony, we also have our services at 6pm. I agree, it is a bit early from what I have been historically used to. For all the years I was in Alaska we always had evening service at 7pm. This worked well because it gave those who worked time to get home, have dinner and get to church.

So here, our services being at 6pm, means I have to leave home quire early, and even earlier when I have to fill in for our pastor. But all is well, I don't mind going early and driving long distances. It s a lot better than when there was no church to go to.

Thank you for praying for our services, I am sure it helped.

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

This evening's fare is going to be chicken thighs, apple sauce, green beans, and a side salad! Good eatin'! 

Sounds good, I would rather have the dark meat than the white, it is much more flavorful and moist. How are yours prepared? I do it two different ways; one way is to bake in the oven with seasoned salt and garlic; the other is to cut the thighs in smaller pieces and pan fry slowly.

Both ways produce wonderful juice for gravy. Gravy is a "must have" for chicken around here.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Sounds good, I would rather have the dark meat than the white, it is much more flavorful and moist. How are yours prepared? I do it two different ways; one way is to bake in the oven with seasoned salt and garlic; the other is to cut the thighs in smaller pieces and pan fry slowly.

Both ways produce wonderful juice for gravy. Gravy is a "must have" for chicken around here.

I sometimes bake them, and once in a while I will fry them. I like the baking method better as it doesn't use any oil in a pan. I don't need the extra fat! Got to watch the diabetes, you know!  But, I like to make a gravy from the drippings either way. Any of the drippings or gravy that aren't used are frozen and then put into a huge chicken and dumplings during the fall and winter. My wife is more fond of the white meat, but over the past 38 years, I've gotten her to start buying the dark cuts. She agrees that they DO have more flavor. We usually are able to make a chicken salad out of a combination of the two. Delicious!

• Lady Administrators
On 10/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, Rebecca said:

I'm in a quarantine hotel in Taiwan, it's been almost two weeks, I have another day and then freedom! But I just wanted to share the different lunchbox meals the hotel provided. I didn't take a picture of every meal , but this will give you an idea of what typical Taiwanese food looks like.

474207516_IMG_20210922_080131(1).thumb.jpg.b96c9d23130a9362b74f8efbc9fc00c1.jpg  IMG_20210924_120813.thumb.jpg.1802b605c631b6062f04d8a928dfa751.jpg

IMG_20210925_074010.thumb.jpg.7e474c5509082c8278dee057aa2b2b3b.jpg

IMG_20210925_122231.thumb.jpg.a8c4a7838876b1dae4fa8c48f4616b55.jpg

IMG_20210926_190338.thumb.jpg.035c3f2e7129a7cfae52c4b8943835a1.jpg

IMG_20210927_120622.thumb.jpg.d632b8e7620e8ee88e20e485da20e03d.jpg

IMG_20211001_115203.thumb.jpg.9ef92df5834e32f072d8117958e2c148.jpg

IMG_20211002_120016.thumb.jpg.02bb7b783e978c3a45e55bec53f0a514.jpg

My favorite, pork dumplings and corn soup.

IMG_20211003_172744.thumb.jpg.d11d6446256ad9ccabc4ef8660b3cb10.jpg

How they delivered my food. 

IMG_20210925_122022.thumb.jpg.53175467d8295c1c67a2349b6f79f663.jpg

Yum! The food looks delicious, but I'm sure you're glad to be outta there!

I'm not sure what we'll be having for dinner tonight. We still have leftover stew and bean soup from Sunday, and hubs is working on clearing them up. So that might be it, with some salad.

• Members

My wife wants chicken tenders and fries tonight! We'll probably have a salad along with this. Meals since the virus have been quite simple for me to make, especially since I don't have the strength back that I had before we experienced the virus for the second time! Thankful for the simple things.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

My wife wants chicken tenders and fries tonight! We'll probably have a salad along with this. Meals since the virus have been quite simple for me to make, especially since I don't have the strength back that I had before we experienced the virus for the second time! Thankful for the simple things.

I am thinking of stir fry tonight.  My wife and I have not caught the virus, thank God. We will have our booster jab and flu jab this weekend.  

The hospital Dr said I shouldn't drive. My daughter who is our carer is on holiday for two weeks from Wednesday, so I have bought a mobility scooter. The owner and his wife of our local mobility shop were on holiday in the USA before covid. The wife caught a  virus  and was hospitalized and then the husband did. He is disabled himself. The seem to have caught covid although that was some months before it was officially around. The wife has long covid, the husband has broken both hips and is unable to move. Their holiday insurance ran out after 6 months. His hospital bill got to $150, 000 which  they could not pay at present so they have been put in a home.  They cany move until his hips join.

Is there anyone in the Orlando Fl area who could visit them?

The mother of our pastor went to be with the Lord today, after a long illness.

Sorry,  not alot to do with food. But enjoy your meals.

• Members

I think tonight I will be making a small spaghetti and some garlic toast!  🙂  My bride is stopping by the pharmacy, the grocery store, the gas station, and then the PO Box on the way home from work. So, this will be a late supper for us.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Advanced Member

Made homemade pizza . It wasn't very successful as it stuck firmly to my pizza pan. I had to scrape it off and it came off in bits. So our pplates were filled with pizza scraps.   It tasted delicious though. It was vegetarian as I forgot to put meat in my half.

• Administrators

Oh my, how is it possible to forget the meat? In the future it might help to wipe the pan with a bit of olive oil, just lightly mind you. As for me, I like what some call a "meat lovers" pizza, four or five different kinds of meat. And I always like lots of onions on mine, it imparts a bit of a sweet taste to the sauce.

Do you make your own pizza crust, or buy one already made?

• Members

This evening it's hot dogs and french fries. I might try to go to the men's Bible study this evening if I'm doing a little better than I'm doing now. Covid has really drained me of strength and stamina. I might try to make some baked beans to go along with the dogs! 🙂

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Oh my, how is it possible to forget the meat? In the future it might help to wipe the pan with a bit of olive oil, just lightly mind you. As for me, I like what some call a "meat lovers" pizza, four or five different kinds of meat. And I always like lots of onions on mine, it imparts a bit of a sweet taste to the sauce.

Do you make your own pizza crust, or buy one already made?

I usually put bacon in my hallf. I make a large one and put veggies alp over  and then add bacon to my half. Yesterday I intended to add some ham but I forgot. I used a frozen pizza dough this time  but I sometimes make a dough in my breadmaker, other times we buy a simple pizza like tomato and cheese and add other things that we like.  I usually add plenty of onions, red preferred, mushrooms for my wife, red pepper (bell pepper, tomato, ) yesterday I added  courgette (zucchini), then spikle with dried oregano and garlic, yesterday I added dried Basil and then we sprinkle olive oil over.

This evening  I am planning salad. Ham and perhaps egg for me and cheeses for my wife. She likes Feta marinated in olive oil and herbes de Provence.

• Advanced Member

Tonight I did omelette and fries. Tomorrow I am planning to  do cous cous for lunch.  My elder daugter arrived today as my youngest is on holiday. Her and her husband and son are vegetarians, which makes four including my wife. They  can have just the stew and I and another grandson can add meat to ours. The stew has chick peas in it so they can have some protein. (I think you have another for chickpeas) my daughter doesn't like the grains so she can have hers with baked potatoes.