Jump to content
Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

    • By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
         11
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Whats for Supper...

Rate this topic


Flourgirl

Recommended Posts

  • Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Salyan, as a young man working in a small store I learned something that most people don't know. That is; if eggs have not been refrigerated they do not need to be refrigerated. It is only those that have been stored refrigerated that must be kept cold.

A lot of people don't realize that about eggs. My grandparents used to never refrigerate their eggs or their butter. It would sit on the table in a butter dish. The eggs would sit by  the stove in a bowl. I got used to that. But, later, when milk deliveries stopped in the town where we were living, we couldn't get our eggs, milk or other dairy products and had to go and get them from the supermarket. I wish they would start milk and egg delivery again. But, we live so far out in the country we probably need to buy our own cow for milking and a couple of dozen laying hens for eggs. We're definitely considering it. My friends in the UK have sent prices they paid, and I definitely thought that the prices there would be much higher. They also sent along a list of ingredients in each of the things like cereals, canned goods, etc., and the list is quite a bit smaller than the ones we see on the information section of American goods. Less preservatives. No wonder the people of the UK are usually less obese than those of us here in the United States.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Probably baked chicken tonight. Been off food since Saturday when I got quite sick-was better by Monday, as in, I could get out of bed and function, but haven't been terribly hungry. Better today, so I can see some chicken. 

4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

A lot of people don't realize that about eggs. My grandparents used to never refrigerate their eggs or their butter. It would sit on the table in a butter dish. The eggs would sit by  the stove in a bowl. I got used to that. But, later, when milk deliveries stopped in the town where we were living, we couldn't get our eggs, milk or other dairy products and had to go and get them from the supermarket. I wish they would start milk and egg delivery again. But, we live so far out in the country we probably need to buy our own cow for milking and a couple of dozen laying hens for eggs. We're definitely considering it. My friends in the UK have sent prices they paid, and I definitely thought that the prices there would be much higher. They also sent along a list of ingredients in each of the things like cereals, canned goods, etc., and the list is quite a bit smaller than the ones we see on the information section of American goods. Less preservatives. No wonder the people of the UK are usually less obese than those of us here in the United States.

We rasie chickens and collect our own eggs, and often don't refrigerate them; the problem here is it is very dry and the eggs will dry out pretty quickly-I lost a few dozen that way recently, just dry in the shells. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Well, this evening for us it is a store-bought pizza...Wild Mikes is the name of it, I believe! We love it. It's got some packets in it to really spice it up if one wants to do that! Tonight I may just do it. I know it will aggravate my ulcer, but I'm just to the point that I NEED some flavor on my food! I can't eat bland any more! LOL

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
5 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Probably baked chicken tonight. Been off food since Saturday when I got quite sick-was better by Monday, as in, I could get out of bed and function, but haven't been terribly hungry. Better today, so I can see some chicken. 

Mike, don't forget that I am here if you get were you can't hold services. I should have my new tires this week, so making it over there would not be a problem. Any time you need it is a good time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Mike, don't forget that I am here if you get were you can't hold services. I should have my new tires this week, so making it over there would not be a problem. Any time you need it is a good time.

Appreciate that, brother, but that was pretty short notice in that case. But I will definitely let you know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Fried lamb leg steak, Roast vegetables (potatoes, carrot, parsnip, fennel, red onion and tomato) Steamed green beans and cellery, servid with mint sauce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Tonight is going to be Wild Mike's Pizza since our air conditioner is on the fritz. I don't want to cook a long time in this heat. It's already 80 degrees in here, and the air hasn't been working since yesterday morning. UGH! So, Wild MIke's it is! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Slow cooked chuck pot roast. Usually folks don't like to cook roasts when it is hot outside and it will be 100' here today. But I have a wonderful exhaust fan on my stove that takes care of fumes and heat.

This pot roast is beef and last week I did one that was pork and it was wonderful. I anticipate that this one will be excellent also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Had fish, chips and peas for lunch.  We ate out as I went to our previous town as one of the butchers there makes Merguez sausages and I bought a kilo of them to freeze for when I do cous cous.  They seem to have a lot less fat in them than those we used to buy in France.

The butcher also makes Toulouse sausages (Don't tell Macron) and I have never tried them so I bought a couple of them to try.

Joined our daughter next door for curry this evening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...