• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Flourgirl

Whats for Supper...

Today we had a big lunch with our family.  Our son in law, did roast lamb carrots, runner beans and cauliflower..  I did roast potatoes and sweet potatoes, because I have a timer on my oven and can get the cookes at the right time after church, I also did mushrooms  and cauliflower cheese for the vegetarians.  We had six family and two hospitality guests.

For supper I did avacado witn prawns (shrimps) and salad.  

On 9/24/2019 at 5:59 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

I wish I could say that your dinner sounded good, but I can't because I don't know what it is except for the asparagus.  😀

Brie is a French soft cheese, I think gnocchi is a type of pasta, but I am not sure what "over the Red River" is.

Tonight I did Fishcakes and crudites. 

I love Rib Eye Steak, but unfortunately here in the US it is much too expensive for me. It is funny you mentioned it today, because just yesterday I was looking at a package of three in the store. The price was $30 U.S.  To me ten dollars per steak is way out of line.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:01 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

I love Rib Eye Steak, but unfortunately here in the US it is much too expensive for me. It is funny you mentioned it today, because just yesterday I was looking at a package of three in the store. The price was $30 U.S.  To me ten dollars per steak is way out of line.

I can't remmber how much it was, but probably not more than the equivalent  of about 4$. I bought it when it was reduced for quick sale. It was quite big and thick.   I only buy meat when it is on offer or reduced.  Our 2 main supermarkets, Tesco and Sainsburys often send vouchers for a  10% off if you send a certain amount, in Tesco recently it was £70 with a larger amount off on the first voucher.  We don't often spend that much at one time. We had three vouchers last month and didn't use any of them.  In Saisburys we had a number of weeks where thay offered £4.50off a £30 shop as well as voucher giving extra points on their Loyalty Card, usually on things we have bought recently.  

My daughter uses the local butcher as she likes to support local businesses. 

Tonight I did tomato and bacon omelette,

Randy is, by doctor's order, supposed to eat fish 2-3 times/week now. He doesn't mind it at all. =D So I fixed rock fish for him again last night. Usually I pan fry it, after dredging it in egg, cassava flour, and coconut flour. Makes a really good crust that is totally grain free.

I decided to fix it differently last night. I chopped veggies into a baking dish, cut the fish into quarters, scored the fish, and put coconut aminos on the fish. Coconut aminos is a soy sauce replacement (he is not supposed to have soy). I fixed some riced cauliflower, mixed in the baked veggies when done, and put the fish on the veggies. I mixed some aminos and hot mustard in with some mayo (homemade so there is no sugar or soy) as "tartar" sauce. Apparently it was quite the success. =D

I had a bowl of hot cereal.

Being originally from the oldest fishing port in the nation, I feel that I must say that HC's recipe sounds like a perfect one for completely destroying a good fish dinner.

(Although I really do understand that it was perfect for Randy's needs.)

3 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Randy is, by doctor's order, supposed to eat fish 2-3 times/week now. He doesn't mind it at all. =D So I fixed rock fish for him again last night. Usually I pan fry it, after dredging it in egg, cassava flour, and coconut flour. Makes a really good crust that is totally grain free.

I decided to fix it differently last night. I chopped veggies into a baking dish, cut the fish into quarters, scored the fish, and put coconut aminos on the fish. Coconut aminos is a soy sauce replacement (he is not supposed to have soy). I fixed some riced cauliflower, mixed in the baked veggies when done, and put the fish on the veggies. I mixed some aminos and hot mustard in with some mayo (homemade so there is no sugar or soy) as "tartar" sauce. Apparently it was quite the success. =D

I had a bowl of hot cereal.

It sounds complicated.

I had leftover Shepherd's Pie from my daughter's fridge.  Kay had a Mozzarella and Red Pepper Parcel from Aldi.

Tomorrow for lunch my daughter is doing hosptallity for church. I supplied salmon which I bought last time we went to France,  It was raised in Scotland and believe it or not it was considerably cheaper in France than here in UK and food in France has VAT added, but here it doesn't. 

I am doing the vegetables and allowing for 14 servings.

Edited by Invicta

On 10/12/2019 at 4:17 PM, Invicta said:

It sounds complicated.

It actually wasn't. Just put the veggies in the pan, place the fish on it, sprinkle on the coconut aminos and let the over do the work. Frozen riced cauliflower, heated in the microwave and mixed in with the veggies once cooked. It was less work than frying it. =D

Tonight we had chicken and veggies. 

We rarely have frozen vegetables except peas and broad beans.  My mother in law seemed to be allergic to them.  We discovered this when shje came to us, whenever we used frozen peas, she went absolutely white and faint.  We found the same when we gave her frozen green beans,  We went to a wedding and the same thing happened to her and we asked the caterers if there was any frozen veg in the meal and thae said, "The Brussels Sprouts."    She was OK with home frozen vegtables.  We got out of the habit of bying frozen veg then,

I asked my Aunt who worked in the Goverment Scientist, where they test all sorts of food, if there were any aditives they put in green veg, but she said "No.  If they did they would have to declare it on the packaging.  However when I went on a food hygene course, the instructor said they add a small amount of green dye.   She didn't always get things correct though.  She said "All French soft cheese is unpastuerised."  Which is not true .  The vast mahjority of it is pastuerised.  

Yes, there are many times things are added to the store-bought frozen veggies. I don't like them, myself, other than broccoli. This cauliflower supposedly doesn't have any additives. I had gotten some cauliflower "tots" for Randy to eat like tater tots, but found that there is sugar in them. So he isn't supposed to eat them, which is sad because he really liked them. I do give him a few once in a while, though, so they don't go to waste. But once the bag is gone, that's it. I saw a recipe that shows how to make your own tots from several different veggies...I just don't know if the amount of work put into it is worth it.

Ricing fresh cauliflower wouldn't be difficult - I could put it in a food processor. But it's pretty convenient to have the frozen. He said it really is a good sub for rice.

Today is a "cheat" day, so he had some Taco Bell for lunch. 

Fixing pan-fried cod tonight. I'll dredge it in egg, coconut and cassava flours. It fries up to be crispy and is tasty and flaky. Also veggies. The paleo bread Randy eats is in the oven baking.

I think dinner will warm him up tonight - it's raining and cool out right now.

4 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

That sounds good HC. Can it also be done with just the cassava flour?  I ask because my diet has also been changed to not allow carbs., but I do not like coconut at all.

I'm sure cassava flour would be enough, although there is no coconut flavor in the dredge.  The coconut flour does smell a bit coconutty, but it doesn't taste. The recipe I started with uses more cassava anyway. I like coconut, but definitely would not like it with my fish, nor would Randy.

This dredge actually is for chicken, but really does work great for fish. Nice thing about it is you can add any spices you might particularly like. For the chicken, I usually add paprika to the dredge. 

I fixed Randy salad and hamburgers. The bread I make him is broken down into a roll recipe, which I was able to cut in half again (the bread only lasts 3 days, so I don't want to make too many rolls at once). I used two large jar rings to bake the rolls in. They don't get real thick, but they rise enough to make smaller burgers. He's very happy to have an actual burger again. 😀

Basically the only carbs he had were in the veggies in the salad. So, not too much when you factor in the fiber. 

Salad dressing was an issue at first. I bought a couple of bottles of paleo dressing (so, no sugar, grain, or dairy). But he wasn't crazy about them. So I tried to make paleo ranch dressing. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. So now, what he loves on his salad is a type of green goddess dressing. I smash up a ripe avocado (sometimes I do the whole thing, sometimes I eat half, like tonight  hehe), add garlic and onion powders, salt, and sometimes paprika, a few drops of lemon juice, a spoon of homemade mayo. If it's too thick I add just a bit of water.  Sounds like a lot of work, but it only takes a couple of minutes. I purposely leave the avocado a bit lumpy. Both he and our son like it a lot.

I also have a hamburger waiting for me, but my stomach isn't feeling great so I'm waiting on eating it.