• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Flourgirl

Whats for Supper...

Sounds and looks good Invicta.....except for the mushrooms. I dearly hate mushrooms, although I do know that many people love them. To me they taste like fungus.

By the way....who's the old guy?

22 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Sounds and looks good Invicta.....except for the mushrooms. I dearly hate mushrooms, although I do know that many people love them. To me they taste like fungus.

By the way....who's the old guy?

C'est moi.  

My wife loves mushrooms, she has them nearly every day,  I only like the baby ones,  I wouldn't have chosen them but they came with the steak. 

This evening we had Homemade rustic bread (White flour, wholemeal flour and wholemeal rye flour) with mixed olives and cornichons, followed by buttered asparagus.

Happy belated birthday, @Invicta!

Tonight I will be fixing chicken. Randy really likes it when I marinate it in mayonnaise and bake it. Years ago it created a tasty, non-carb crust. I can't get it to crust up, but boyo, is it moist! However, tonight I will be trying something new. I'm getting some pork rinds at the store today and will crush them to create a panko-like crust. I'm hoping that the flavor is good and that it creates a crunchy crust. Randy loves pork rinds and can eat them without worrying about carbs. That way he can have a bit of mashed potatoes, veggies, and salad as well.

I never heard of making a crust on baked chicken. Why would anyone do that when the skin on the chicken makes the perfect crust when browned? But I have to admit that it sounds good.

I'm having a problem understanding how you are marinating it. Is it a whole chicken or cut up in pieces? I just couldn't understand how you would marinate a whole chicken because the skin would create a barrier to the marinade.

2 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Happy belated birthday, @Invicta!

Tonight I will be fixing chicken. Randy really likes it when I marinate it in mayonnaise and bake it. Years ago it created a tasty, non-carb crust. I can't get it to crust up, but boyo, is it moist! However, tonight I will be trying something new. I'm getting some pork rinds at the store today and will crush them to create a panko-like crust. I'm hoping that the flavor is good and that it creates a crunchy crust. Randy loves pork rinds and can eat them without worrying about carbs. That way he can have a bit of mashed potatoes, veggies, and salad as well.

Thank you.

When I roast whole chicken, I score the breast  amd other parts and prick under the legs with a sharp knife, then rub the skin with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, powdered garlic, ground celery seed  and ground bay leaf (Laurier, sweet laurel) then roast it in the oven @ about 385F 

Tonight I had mussels in cream and garlic sauce with baked left over mashed potato and asparagus.

Sounds good Invicta. I love mussels, but have only had them steamed plain and dipped in butter. I have never tried them seasoned. Do you shell them before putting them on the cream and garlic sauce?

Tonight we are having baked macaroni and cheese and fresh asparagus.

18 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Sounds good Invicta. I love mussels, but have only had them steamed plain and dipped in butter. I have never tried them seasoned. Do you shell them before putting them on the cream and garlic sauce?

Tonight we are having baked macaroni and cheese and fresh asparagus.

I bought them in the supermarket.already prepared, in earthenwere dish. I just put them in the oven for  minutes.  

Macaroni is my most detested pasta.  I like most types of pasta but not macaroni.  I was put off it as a child when my aunt used to give me macaroni milk pudding for desert.    

On 4/21/2019 at 12:07 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

That sounds wonderful Invicta. I have not had fish cakes since I was a child. My mother used to make them quite often. I have lost her recipe. Do you have a recipe you would care to share?

Sorry Jim, no recipe.  I just did what my mum did , that is mash up some left over cooked potato with a fork and some fish mashed the same way, I think she used canned pilchards, but I could be wrong.  I used left over mashed potato and some canned tuna in oil. My mum used to shape them by hand and cook them in the fat from her roast meats, but  I used a hamburger mould and put breadcrumbs in the bottom and an top, and fried them in Olive oil.  We were brought up in the war and there was severe rationing.  One fo the things you couldn't get was olive oil except from a pharmacist in small bottles of about two tablespoons.  

Add any seasoning to taste.

Last night, has steak and pan-fried green beans. Tonight? Who knows? Maybe pork, maybe a sandwich. With my wife still pretty down I am the cook and chief bottle-washer, and with service right after work tonight, hard to say what we will do. But I always come up with something. Fortunately my wife has simple tastes.

@Ukulelemike, please let your wife know I'm praying for her. I hope she gets back on her feet and feeling better soon.

Today we had our monthly potluck, so tonight was leftovers. Three cheese ziti with sweet Italian sausage, meatballs in sweet chili sauce, salad. With German chocolate cake for dessert.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:32 PM, HappyChristian said:

@Ukulelemike, please let your wife know I'm praying for her. I hope she gets back on her feet and feeling better soon.

Today we had our monthly potluck, so tonight was leftovers. Three cheese ziti with sweet Italian sausage, meatballs in sweet chili sauce, salad. With German chocolate cake for dessert.

Thank you, I will do that. Its been a long road and we're still walking it, but its getting better, just a slooow process. 

3 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Thank you, I will do that. Its been a long road and we're still walking it, but its getting better, just a slooow process. 

I hear you on that long road. Ours hasn't been as long as yours, but we're still walking it as well.

I hope your wife is soon better Uke.

Today I did Entrecote steak with baked potatoes, ratatouille, carrot and green beans.  

My wife had Cancoillotte with her baked potato instead of steak.  That is a French runny garlic cheese which she brings back when we visit France. I have never seen it here.

https://president.uk.com/french-cheese/cancoillotte#.XNYCM45KjIU

Sunday morning after church, our son took us to Red Lobster for Father's Day. We don't go very often, so Randy and I both usually order the Cajun Chicken Linguine. Even though they are making the portions smaller now, there was so much! I brought most of mine home and we enjoyed it last night for dinner as well. I have no idea what we'll be having tonight.

2 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Oh my, you go to Red Lobster and order a Cajun dish? It's a sacrilege I say, a sacrilege!  😀

Not only Cajun, but CHICKEN! LOL - that just makes our son shake his head every time. Going to a SEAFOOD place and ordering FOWL. heheheh   It's like going to a steak place and ordering hamburger (which I do...).

Today my mom and I went to lunch while we waited for her brakes to be fixed. I had fish and "chips" - house made potato chips, warm from the deep fryer.  There was enough to bring home for my supper tonight. Randy wanted me to pick him up a rotisserie chicken while I was out, so that's what he'll be having. Probably the whole thing. Can you tell we like chicken? bahaha!