• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Flourgirl

Whats for Supper...

I fixed pork loin in the crockpot today. Made enough for supper tonight and for church tomorrow (it's our potluck day).  I soaked it in a brine all night and then seared it off and put it in the crockpot this morning. By tonight it was melt-in-your-mouth! I couldn't slice it, because it was just falling apart. It was delicious!

20 hours ago, Matt Souza said:

This is whats for dinner tonight. 

https://www.bearsbbq.com/

Do they have bear meat? There is a Black Bear here - when we first moved here, Randy wanted to try it out. He was disappointed they didn't serve bear. Now there's a new restaurant with Elk in the name...he's hoping they'll serve elk. 😄

With a snowstorm that's gone on all day long, the best thing for supper? Homemade soup, of course!

My wife made something called Lentil Loaf last night. Now, I'm not much of a veggie person, I like some veggies but not as a main dish. I was pleasantly surprised that this was actually good. It looked very much like meatloaf and had the same consistency.

She served it with creamy mashed potatoes and a vegetable mixture of carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. 

7 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Do they have bear meat? There is a Black Bear here - when we first moved here, Randy wanted to try it out. He was disappointed they didn't serve bear. Now there's a new restaurant with Elk in the name...he's hoping they'll serve elk. 😄

In most states it is not legal to sell or serve wild game. The exception would be farmed game meat. I have seen this kind of menu in some places.

It is Interesting that you have a Black Bear place up there. This small, but growing chain was first started here in Northern Calif. at Mount Shasta city.. They are known for serving good food that is comparable to home cooking and large portions.

In the last few years the chain has grown admirably. If they are way up in your location, then they stretch all the way from there down to Sacramento California.

12 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

In most states it is not legal to sell or serve wild game. The exception would be farmed game meat. I have seen this kind of menu in some places.

It is Interesting that you have a Black Bear place up there. This small, but growing chain was first started here in Northern Calif. at Mount Shasta city.. They are known for serving good food that is comparable to home cooking and large portions.

In the last few years the chain has grown admirably. If they are way up in your location, then they stretch all the way from there down to Sacramento California.

Yes, it is that same chain. For the most part, the food is good. Most of the family likes the chicken fried steak. I'm not fond of it, though. I will have either the fish and chips or just salad when I go...unless it's breakfast. We get a free breakfast for our birthdays. Their special waffle - delicious!

Yes, I imagine there are laws about it. He did get some "wild meat" jerky in his stocking at Christmas - elk and bison. 

7 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

My wife made something called Lentil Loaf last night. Now, I'm not much of a veggie person, I like some veggies but not as a main dish. I was pleasantly surprised that this was actually good. It looked very much like meatloaf and had the same consistency.

She served it with creamy mashed potatoes and a vegetable mixture of carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. 

We do a lentil bake, from a 1932 vegetarian book originally belonging to my wife's mother.  It is quite popular in our family and usually served as an option at Christmas.  My wife had one for last Sunday,   

Today I did a spicy vegetable stew, consisting of practically every vegetable we had in the fridge, a 400g can of tomatoes, ½ a can of chick peas, a couple of veggie stock cubes, a couple of cloves of garlic and Ras El Hanout spice to taste. I also had chicken and merguez.  We often take  some of the liquid from the stew and make a hot sauce by adding harissa but I didn't get around to it today.

On 2/11/2019 at 12:25 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

I lived in downtown Hartford as a kid. Originally from Mass.

Hartford still needs a good Independent Baptist Church. None that I know of in the city limits. 

1 hour ago, Invicta said:

Lambs liver, bacon and onions in gravy, with baked potato and steamed red cabbage.

I have never had lamb's liver Invicta. I am a liver lover and your meal sounds delicious. I can't ever remember even seeing lamb's liver in a store.

I like lambs liver, in our supermarkets it seems to be the only choice, except perhaps chicken, liver now and again. Lambs liver is fairly cheap and makes a meal.  But they are not really butchers.  I asked last week if they disd marrow bones and the "butcher"  said "No, we just get the meat in."

I can remember when we were first married, seeing all the carcases hanging in the burtcher shop and rabbits and chickens hanging in the window.  We don't get that now.  Health and Safety, I presume.

Edited by Invicta
spelling

Arby's are good. But I do have to say that the picture you posted doesn't look like any I have ever had. They are good, but never stacked like that. You didn't cheat and post their advertising picture did you?  Nah! You wouldn't do that.   😄

I only get to eat out when I go to town, which is 41 miles away, so don't do it often. I don't know what we are having tonight, my wife said, "something with hamburg", so that's pretty general. She is pretty good at making hamburg a thousand different ways, it makes for diversity and is usually pretty tasty. 

Left overs today.  We usually eat with my daughterr and family  and my son in law was doing spag bol.   I am not keen on his cooking and we only  eat wholemeal Spghetti and they only eat white.  My wife and I took ours in to eat with them.  I did have a small portion of his spaghetti as seconds.  I suplied home made bread from my breadmaker.

Next sunday is my granddaughter's baptism and my daughter is doing a fellowship lunch at church.  She plans baked potatoes and salad with cold chicken.  As it is our 51st wedding anniversary  that weekend we are planning to go to Calais France for the day on Friday and Mary has asked us to bring back some French salads, Remoulade, Carrotes..  I asked if she wanted me to bring some Taboulé but she said children take it then decide they don't like it and it ends on the floor. I also asked if she wanted me to bring back some Champingons a la grecque. Greek style musrooms, but she said the mushroom salad I do is much better,.