• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Watercress, lettuce and red chicory* salad, with red onion, tomato, black olives à la grecque, grilled smoke bacon lardons (well actually microwaved) Hard boiled eggs topped with chopped chives, Dijon mayonaise, and grated red Leicester cheese.

My wife said as she was eating it (being a veggie she doesn't eat the bacon) Several years ago, someone told you salads were bland and you have been trying to prove them wrong ever since.

* I think you may call it endive. The French do and cook it in a sauce, they eat a lot more than us so it is a lot cheaper, whereas we buy it in one or two heads, they buy it in one or two kilos.

* we also call the pointed heads, 'chicons' or Belgian chicory, or Witloof chicory.

• Members

I didn't have anything to eat this evbening as I had a large lunch.

Rack of lamb, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, cauliflower cheese, carrots and extra fine beans, We were expecting someone to lunch, who did not come, so we had plenty of roast potatoes left, so all the afternoon,every time I passed them, I ate one.

Often we see TV chefs giving their version of what they call "The perfect baked potato." But here is my one. I prepare them before church.

Serves 3.

Peel three largish potatoes. Cut them into large chunks, I cut them into three, or so, depending on size. Place them in a microwavable dish and sprinkle with olive oil to stop them going brown . Season with salt and pepper to taste and some fine Herbes de Provence. I like them very fine, so I put my herbs in a beaker and blend them with a stick blender till they are like ground pepper. Add a bit of dried garlic if liked. Shake the dish to spread the seasoning and oil If the potatoes are not covered in oil, add a bit more and shake again.

When I come back from church, I put the dish in the microwave for about 5 minutes, 850-1000 watt. At the same time, preheat a non stick oven dish in the oven at 180-200C. Shake the potatoes to rough up the surface a bit, that will make them more crispy. Turn out the potatoes into the oven dish and add a bit more olive oil if you think it needs it. Turn the potatoes in the oil and bake for 30 minutes, turning now and then, or until they are brown all over. There should not be a lot of free oil in the pan, we don't want to boil them in oil. Serve with your favourite meat. Bon apetit.