• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

You like your corned beef don't you John? I had enough of it during the war, as a child, when you counldn't get much else. Corned beef, dried eggs and dried milk. Corned beef and dried eggs make a corned beef omelette. Don't try it unless you want to find out what food was like over here in the war.

• Members

I grew to dislike it intensely. My mum told me it was not corned beefm but corned mutton to get me to eat it. I associated it with the war and Hitler's bombers coming over every night and the throb, throb, throb of their engines, the V1 flying bombs, which went over daily at the end of the war, and of Hitler. If it hadn't been for him, I wouldn't have had to eat the stuff.

• Members

I grew to dislike it intensely. My mum told me it was not corned beefm but corned mutton to get me to eat it. I associated it with the war and Hitler's bombers coming over every night and the throb, throb, throb of their engines, the V1 flying bombs, which went over daily at the end of the war, and of Hitler. If it hadn't been for him, I wouldn't have had to eat the stuff.

I can see why you would have such a reaction to corned beef! It's amazing how we sometimes associate certain foods and such with various things.

I knew a lady who choked on a butterscotch candy as a child and from then on she could no longer stand the taste of butterscotch.

When I was a child I never had coca cola except for at my paternal grandmothers house. To this day I rarely drink coke but when I do, that first taste instantly fills my mind with the look, scents and other memories of my grandma's house.

• Members

I can see why you would have such a reaction to corned beef! It's amazing how we sometimes associate certain foods and such with various things.

I knew a lady who choked on a butterscotch candy as a child and from then on she could no longer stand the taste of butterscotch.

When I was a child I never had coca cola except for at my paternal grandmothers house. To this day I rarely drink coke but when I do, that first taste instantly fills my mind with the look, scents and other memories of my grandma's house.

Corned beef (and Spam) together with dried eggs were imports from USA which kept us alive in the war.

• Members

Potato wedges, sliced turkey, and watercress salad, followed by grilled asparagus.

I got a few things reduced in Tesco, this evening, but I avoided the corned beef hash.

Edited by Invicta