• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

This thought just occured to me: Is it wrong to assume that this thread is all about the midday meal, as in Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper? The words "dinner" and "supper" are biblical, but "lunch" is not! :wink

BREAK'FAST, n. brek'fast. [break and fast.]

1. The first meal in the day; or the thing eaten at the first meal.

2. A meal, or food in general.

BREAK'FAST, v.i. brek'fast. To eat the first meal in the day.

DINNER, n. [see Dine.]

1. The meal taken about the middle of the day; or the principal meal of the day, eaten between noon and evening.

2. An entertainment; a feast.

Behold, I have prepared my dinner. Matthew 22.

SUP'PER, n. The evening meal. People who dine late, eat no supper. The dinner of fashionable people would be the supper of rustics.

• Members

This thought just occured to me: Is it wrong to assume that this thread is all about the midday meal, as in Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper? The words "dinner" and "supper" are biblical, but "lunch" is not! :wink

:wink

Dinner: A formal evening meal(Oxford American Dictionary)

• Members

This is a dish a friend of mine made once for "chicken pie." I was going to make it today but didn't feel too good. It takes a while to make.

4 cups of cold cooked chicken, cut to bite-sized pieces
1 cup cooked slice carrots
1 large yam, cooked, peeled and sliced
2 cups cooked onion slices
2 tbs chopped parsley
1 tsp chopped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup light cream
4 tbs flour
salt to taste
black pepper to taste

CRUST:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup mashed yams
1 egg, beaten

Grease a large casserole or baking dish (over 2 qts) with butter. Spread a layer of half the chicken pieces on the bottom. On top of the chicken, spread the parsley in a layer, then the carrots, onions and yams. Top with a final layer of remaining chicken. Pour enough light cream into medium-sized saucepan to cover the bottom. Over low heat, gradually blend in the flour until smooth. Slowly add the remaning cream and chicken stock, stirring constantly. Simmer the sauce, stirring constantly, over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Dust the chicken and vegetables with salt and pepper to taste, and pour the sauce over them. To makt the crust, mix the flour, baking powder and salt to gether in a mixing bowl. Cut in the softened butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture is grainy and resembles a coarse meal. Blend in the mashed yams and mix well. Add the egg and mix again. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Fit the crust over the casserole dish. Pinch the edges all around and pierce the center 2 or 3 times with a fork. Bake the pie for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the crust is golden and flaky and the filling is bubbling.

Love,
Madeline

• 2 months later...
  • Members
We ate at this restaurant called Gary Danko (wasn't my suggestion). The meals were way too pricey and the food wasn't all that great - a total rip off. :sad

Well it certainly isn't a KFC, now is it? :lol:

http://www.garydanko.com/flash/GaryDanko.html

We had lunch yesterday at the Cafe Alcazar located inside the Alcazar Hotel in Beautiful Downtown Historic St. Augustine - the oldest city in the United States. Loved it! We sipped sodas and ate sandwiches and listened to a man play spanish-style classical guitar music! Lovely day!

http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/hotels2.html