• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
10 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I am a bit envious of your access to things like you lised Invicta. I love lamb, but here in the states it costs almost twice as much as beef. Not only that, but its availability leaves a lot to be desired. Because it is so expensive, people don't buy it, therefore the stores don't stock much of  variety. By that I mean they may have a mall 5 rib rack of lamb ribs and possibly a half of a leg. Their lamb sectio is very small.

The Haddock I really envy, we cannot get Haddock here on the west coast at all. When I lived in New England it was plentiful because we were right on the Atlantic. Here fish is also very expensive, I don't buy it much at all.

I love lamb as well... but, like you, I have a hard time finding a reasonably priced portion. The portions and selection are so small we can't afford it. I like haddock as well, but, it's hard to find here in Tennessee.

Tonight we had pork loin chops, asparagus, and macaroni and cheese. We're going to finish up the last of the chocolate cream cheese pie for dessert.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Administrators

Incidentally Invicta; I was born in Gloucester, Massachusetts. It is a small fishing town, the first fishing port in America. It celebrates its 400 th. anniversary this year. It is a sister city to Gloucester, England, as you may probably know.

• Members
18 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Incidentally Invicta; I was born in Gloucester, Massachusetts. It is a small fishing town, the first fishing port in America. It celebrates its 400 th. anniversary this year. It is a sister city to Gloucester, England, as you may probably know.

I don't think I have ever  been to Gloucester. 

The beef I bought was 30 day hung and cheaper joints are 21 days hung. The cost for 30day was £12,00 per kilo, a kilo kis 2.2 lb. I think the exchange rate is about $2.2 to the £.  As it was  an Easter offer it was £6 per per kilo. The lamb was £6.50 per kilo, downfrom £13.00. There is a butcher about 5-10 mins walk from here but they are much dearer.

As a butcher, Jim,  you will know the difference in the length of maturing, but I don't know except that the longer seems more tender.

• Administrators

tonight's dinner was meatloaf. I made some cheesy riced cauliflower and green beans with it to send home with our son. Sarah is doing a lot better, but still cannot stand and do much. So we are helping a bit as we can. Mom  is currently cooking stew for them for tomorrow, and for us as well.  

I didn't know you couldn't get Haddock in CA, Jim. We have it here. A lot of fish and chips around here are made from it, as well as cod.

My one experience with lamb was when I was in my early 20s. I was staying with a pastor's family while teaching in the school. They were given some lamb, but apparently didn't care for the flavor because they had sausage mixed in to it (same amount of sausage as lamb). So that night the pastor's wife made patties of the meat. And she put about 3 tablespoons of curry on each patty. It was horrid! I have not been able to eat anything with curry since (over 40 years), and I have been loathe to try lamb.

The people from whom we bought our beef also grow sheep. So if we wanted mutton, I think we could get some from them.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Invicta said:

As a butcher, Jim,  you will know the difference in the length of maturing, but I don't know except that the longer seems more tender.

It is true, the longer the better, but within reason of course. It matures much better if hung in an environment that consists of moving air; stale unmoving air shortens the maturing time because it causes the meat to start to "sweat," which becomes rancid very quickly. 

• Members

J

22 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

22 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

My one experience with lamb was when I was in my early 20s. I was staying with a pastor's family while teaching in the school. They were given some lamb, but apparently didn't care for the flavor because they had sausage mixed in to it (same amount of sausage as lamb). So that night the pastor's wife made patties of the meat. And she put about 3 tablespoons of curry on each patty. It was horrid! I have not been able to eat anything with curry since (over 40 years), and I have been loathe to try lamb.

The people from whom we bought our beef also grow sheep. So if we wanted mutton, I think we could get some from them.

I don't like pork, although it is much cheaper. When I used to go to France, I used to buy Merguez sausages, these are usually beef, but can be lamb or Turkey.  There is a butcher a town about 20 miles from here who  makes Merguez from lamb.  I prefer them to the French ones as they have less fat in them.

Edited by Invicta
Delete duplication

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Tonight we had baked chicken breast (they were so big I had to split on with my wife), my famous baked beans, and macaroni salad. I was going to fry the chicken, but, I had a sick dog to attend to as well. Little Pepper Ann, our youngest furbaby...a black Labrador Retriever, is running a fever and is being very clingy this afternoon. She would come up and lean so hard into me that I nearly lost my balance....so, I decided to put the chicken in the oven. The pup is feeling better now that she has slept on my feet a bit, and because of my having to split the chicken breasts, we now have supper for tomorrow night as well. I just have to decide on another side dish to go with the baked beans. PTL! 

• Administrators

So sorry your pupper is still feeling sick! I did a chicken breast in the air fryer for mom and me. We ate it early, but with some pasta it was enough not to need supper. Hubs had the men's bbq at church tonight. He grilled burgers and brats, taters, and corn. They had a good time. 

354365344_803090641426120_584053883988976894_n.jpg

• Members
3 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

So sorry your pupper is still feeling sick! I did a chicken breast in the air fryer for mom and me. We ate it early, but with some pasta it was enough not to need supper. Hubs had the men's bbq at church tonight. He grilled burgers and brats, taters, and corn. They had a good time. 

354365344_803090641426120_584053883988976894_n.jpg

Glad they had a good time. Pastors need some fellowship and relaxation, too. The chicken with pasta that you and your mom had sounds good. I've never tried it from an air fryer. We're going to have to get one. ?