• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Administrators
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Nope....no pizzas today. Sometimes we'll stop by Sam's Club concessions inside the store, and get a deluxe pizza and a soda for $12. It gives us enough pizza to take home for later. Great as an inexpensive date.??

My mom used to love Costco hot dogs. She'd get one when she went shopping. I don't care for them, but they were cheap. The pizza at Costco is a bit more pricey, but a slice and drink is still inexpensive compared to most places around here. And the slice is pretty large.

Hope your MRI went ok.

Don't know what's for dinner tonight. Probably something with ground beef (we've got fresh beef, so it's SO tasty!).

BTW, have you ever tried cauliflower crust pizza?  I know it sounds weird, but my hubs loves it. He has to watch his grain intake due to diabetes, but there is a particular brand of cauliflower pizza he gets from Costco that has 2 in  a box that he really enjoys. I don't like the sauce, but the crust is really, really good.

• Members
53 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

My mom used to love Costco hot dogs. She'd get one when she went shopping. I don't care for them, but they were cheap. The pizza at Costco is a bit more pricey, but a slice and drink is still inexpensive compared to most places around here. And the slice is pretty large.

Hope your MRI went ok.

Don't know what's for dinner tonight. Probably something with ground beef (we've got fresh beef, so it's SO tasty!).

BTW, have you ever tried cauliflower crust pizza?  I know it sounds weird, but my hubs loves it. He has to watch his grain intake due to diabetes, but there is a particular brand of cauliflower pizza he gets from Costco that has 2 in  a box that he really enjoys. I don't like the sauce, but the crust is really, really good.

Oh, YES, I have tried the cauliflower crust pizza! I have to say, it's not half bad. I, too, tried it because of my diabetes. We haven't joined Costco yet, but we plan on doing so very soon. 

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Oh, YES, I have tried the cauliflower crust pizza! I have to say, it's not half bad. I, too, tried it because of my diabetes. We haven't joined Costco yet, but we plan on doing so very soon. 

We have no Sam's Club near us, so we can't enjoy their deals. But we sure do like Costco for a variety of things. It really helps being able to buy in bulk for the church. As well as ourselves, of course. lol

• Members
1 minute ago, HappyChristian said:

We have no Sam's Club near us, so we can't enjoy their deals. But we sure do like Costco for a variety of things. It really helps being able to buy in bulk for the church. As well as ourselves, of course. lol

We purchase many things in bulk. We have saved a lot of money and time buying that way.

• Members

Tonight will be our second and last night on the sloppy Joes my wife made last night. She wants me to have some pork and beans, and possibly some bbq potato chips with it. That will be good, as I am having to make a bedroom and our second bath squeaky clean for my little sisters visit this weekend. ? 

• Administrators

Mom fixed some steaks last night. I  wasn't feeling the greatest, so didn't have any. But she and hubs enjoyed them. Plus there is quite a bit left over. They were steaks we've had in the  freezer for too long, so they needed to be cooked up. So I'm guessing that's what's for supper tonight, too.lol

• Members
On 5/3/2023 at 6:25 PM, HappyChristian said:

Mom fixed some steaks last night. I  wasn't feeling the greatest, so didn't have any. But she and hubs enjoyed them. Plus there is quite a bit left over. They were steaks we've had in the  freezer for too long, so they needed to be cooked up. So I'm guessing that's what's for supper tonight, too.lol

Most things in my freezer have been there too long. 

Today I did mince and veggie penne for me and veggie penne for my wife.

I often do stir fry and been using fresh ginger, however recently I have been using frozen ginger. It is in 400g packs which is a bit less than a lb,and comes in small cubes, each is enough for 1 portion that usually use. It is chopped small so I don't have to do anything to it. Much easier than fresh ginger and less expensive.

• Administrators

I had bought a beef roast that had been marked down in price because it was outdated. I look for these outdated roasts because beef is so expensive. It was a bit discolored, but I have no problem with that because I was, at one time in my life, a butcher and can tell when something is just outdated or actually spoiled. No one wants to be eating spoiled meat.

In any event, this beef roast was way too big for me. My wife has stopped eating meat by choice and for health reasons, so now I have to watch the size of meat products I buy. But being as it was marked down and the only one of its kind, I had no choice.

I said all of that to say that I slow cooked the roast yesterday on the stovetop and it was wonderful. I also made a rich brown gravy to compliment the mashed potatoes. I had a lot left over, so will have it again tonight. I may even have enough for a sandwich or two. ?

• Members

We just finished up a roast that my wife had put in the slow cooker day before yesterday. It was delicious with potatoes, celery, carrots, and a rich gravy. We both cook, and cook well. I'm thankful for that. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Tonight we'll be having hot dogs and mac n cheese. Veggies, too, of course. Mom and I have been hungry for hot dogs for some reason. We found Oscar Mayer all beef, uncured are the tastiest.

LuAnne, I have never heard the term "uncured" applied to hot dogs, what does that even mean? I do agree that all beef are the best, I used to be able to get all beef in the casing. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

LuAnne, I have never heard the term "uncured" applied to hot dogs, what does that even mean? I do agree that all beef are the best, I used to be able to get all beef in the casing. 

It basically means that there are no synthetic nitrates and nitrites added. There are still nitrates/nitrites added, but they come from food products like celery powder. 

• Members
On 5/11/2023 at 12:09 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

I had bought a beef roast that had been marked down in price because it was outdated. I look for these outdated roasts because beef is so expensive. It was a bit discolored, but I have no problem with that because I was, at one time in my life, a butcher and can tell when something is just outdated or actually spoiled. No one wants to be eating spoiled meat.

In any event, this beef roast was way too big for me. My wife has stopped eating meat by choice and for health reasons, so now I have to watch the size of meat products I buy. But being as it was marked down and the only one of its kind, I had no choice.

I said all of that to say that I slow cooked the roast yesterday on the stovetop and it was wonderful. I also made a rich brown gravy to compliment the mashed potatoes. I had a lot left over, so will have it again tonight. I may even have enough for a sandwich or two. ?

I have the same problem as my wife is a vegetarian. I get a roasting joint and cook it one day, keep enough for the next day and then slice and freeze the rest.  I have a beeh joint and a leg of lamb in the freezer. I bought them both as they were on ½ price offer for Easter. My sister and her husband came down the same weekend and she brought 2 ½ legs of lamb for my sister. She said there was such a crowd round the aisle that she wasn't able to reach the whole legs. She got hers from Tesco and I got mine from Sainsburys online. They both had the same offer. 

Yesterday I had lamb leg steak in gravy,  with roasted mixed vegetables cooked on a hereby tomato sauce, and what they  seem to call Parmentier bsked Potatoes here. I'm not sure why, because in France pommes Parmentier seems to be mashed potatoes or things with mash on top. Anyway it was all very tasty.

Today I am having haddock and chips. I got the fish from Aldi the other day and they ore the only shop that seem to do large pieces of fish. Even branded "Extra large" is about ¼ of the size of a normal portion in the fish and chip shop.

• Administrators

I am a bit envious of your access to things like you lised Invicta. I love lamb, but here in the states it costs almost twice as much as beef. Not only that, but its availability leaves a lot to be desired. Because it is so expensive, people don't buy it, therefore the stores don't stock much of  variety. By that I mean they may have a mall 5 rib rack of lamb ribs and possibly a half of a leg. Their lamb sectio is very small.

The Haddock I really envy, we cannot get Haddock here on the west coast at all. When I lived in New England it was plentiful because we were right on the Atlantic. Here fish is also very expensive, I don't buy it much at all.